'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. And if you have a Target credit card, you get an additional 5% off.

hutlock likes this.
  2. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I can't for the life of me find Smoke Stack or Trumpet Toccata on Target's website, anyone have a link?

3. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

musictoad likes this.
  4. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Yeah, just saw that. Well you can always preorder the first four titles in the Verve AP vinyl series. They have the Armstrong/Peterson, Getz/Gilberto and the two Coltranes up for preorder at the same $26.99 price point as the Tone Poets. I went for all four of those.

5. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Listening to Grant Green's Nigeria with my morning coffee. Great stuff.

IanL, funknik and scotti like this.
  6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

That's one late morning cup of coffee...

7. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

Only discovered the existence of the Tone Poets just before Lockdown in the UK. Browsing in one of my locals (Diverse Vinyl)... found New Bottle Old Wine. I have eight in total and I'm really enjoying them all. Never having heard any MMJs (can't justify the cost) the TPs are a revelation - the clarity brings a new level of immersion... a few steps closer to being in my local jazz club.

Collateral damage: have picked up some BN80s, Grant Green/Sunday Mornin', Legrand Jazz 45rpm, Sony's own Milestones from 2013... loving them all.

Particular revelations: Black Fire, Inventions & Dimensions, Legrand Jazz.

Swann36, puelche, Dignan2000 and 7 others like this.
  8. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Uh-oh :winkgrin:

In all seriousness, great pick ups. The latest jazz reissues over the last year or so have been first rate. Long may they continue!

Dignan2000, trd, Dai and 1 other person like this.
  9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Great points! That's why I own and enjoy having an original mono "The Sidewinder" as well as a 2 x 45 Gray/Hoffman cut. The mono LP is less 'hifi' but arguably more fun.

Fractured, Harrison and recstar24 like this.
  10. Levi's Tubs

Welcome.

If you dig Legrand and Gil Evans, track down Analogue Productions' release of Dave Brubeck's Time Out. It's one of the best sounding records records in my collection- as 3 dimensional as I've ever heard. Acoustic Sounds- I think they do overseas delivery- is running a 15% off sale right now. Head on over and take some chances.

action pact and GentleSenator like this.
  11. Levi's Tubs

Also, the German company Speakers Corner has done some jazz reissues that sound excellent, as good as Tone Poet's. Those might be easier to track down on your side of the pond.

miq2son and SunSon like this.
  12. Dai

Thanks for the recommendations.

Shipping from US to UK is ridiculous these days. I've been looking at the Soeakers Corner stuff.

13. Dai

:agree: Well, for me, the positives far outweigh the one issue. Too expand a little... the dynamics are fantastic, and the clarity. Love the percussion on I&D in particular. Love the compositions on both. Succotash almost sounds like serialism. Both of these records just hit hard and force you to listen.

SJR, musictoad and Crazysteve like this.
  14. Dai

Grant Green sounds phenomenal on the TPs and Sunday Mornin'. I've been in love with his sound and playing for years - have been obsessed with the visceral quality that seems to be unique to him and how he was recorded by RVG - but these are a step up, for me.

15. usethefourth

usethefourth Well-Known Member

Montara was part of the Blue Note VMP box. Would be great to be able to grab that AAA separately.

Cervelo likes this.
  16. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I'm with you on all those points. I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't hear or should I say, isn't affected, by any issues on these titles.

ausgraeme, Dai and trd like this.
  17. snowwhat

snowwhat Forum Resident

I was surprised how much I liked the Comin Your Way TP. I had the music on the Mosaic box but hadn’t listened in a long time. It’s a really nice album and Stanley plays great. And I think the sound quality of the TP is noticeably better than the cd (but that’s not surprising). Somehow I never put it together that this was the same band that did Speakin My Piece and Spur of the Moment.

18. Levi's Tubs

Yeah, The Mingus Atlantic records on Speakers Corner, fuhgeddaboutit. Buy Pithecanthropus ASAP.

puelche, Dai and Pushpaw like this.
  19. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Just spun SC version of PE tonight. Something infectious about that album. There’s joy in there.

timzigs likes this.
  20. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I love Shorter but for some reason I have never found a way in to this record ( all seeing eye) despite having a ( admittedly poor reissue version) copy for many years. Did you like this one immediately or was it a slow grower? I will toss it on again today as it has been a while. I realise it is somewhat more angular in nature but that is not usually an issue for me.

21. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

What's the story on upcoming Tone Poet releases. The site lists the releases up until April 2020 and then all titles after that are listed under TBA (To Be Announced). Are any of the upcoming titles available for reorder on Amazon Canada?

22. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Due to Covid, pressing plants are now catching up. There's a new schedule on the Tone Poet thread somewhere, posted by @scotti . Search the last few pages.

23. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I just noticed I posted this precisely on the Tone Poet thread. Facepalm. Lazy morning, sorry.

24. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Spinning some Kenny Burrell this morning — with the sweet-sounding Blue Note Tone Poet reissue, Introducing . . .

[​IMG]1956/2019 Blue Note ‎– 1523
    Blue Note Tone Poet Series – KPG/JH@CA

Jam757, Joti Cover, nosliw and 10 others like this.
  25. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

Grant Green has been responsible for my wallet getting much much lighter over the past 12 months!

Jam757, scotti, Dai and 1 other person like this.