'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Same. Pretty confident to say that Grant Green has been the artist that I have added the most titles from in the past two years.

2. taynos

taynos Forum Resident

Dear Tone Poet, If the tapes are decent, Mr. Natural would make a groovy re-release with the Gray/RTI treatment as there aren't any great pressings of this and the lineup is outstanding; Lee, McCoy, Elvin along with Bob Cranshaw led by Stanley Turrentine as well as some funky conga work by Ray Barretto. Music is groove central with some gorgeous Lee Morgan solos rounded out with a fun little Beatles Cover to boot. The Cover art could use a makeover as well lol.

[​IMG]

3. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

While I was looking through my Tone Poet section last night for something to listen to I stumble across "Nigeria" which I really had not listened to much since I got it. Damn, I forgot just how good this one was. I mean, Sonny Clark, Art Blakey, and Sam Jones along side Mr. Green, wow! Just a great listen and only after a couple of minutes it had me sucked in and sitting in my sweet zone. Who the heck decided to shelve this classic for 18 years!

bjlefebvre, mktracy, puelche and 9 others like this.
  4. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

Someone in the MM thread was slagging on the TP sessions as “mid-level” and specifically singled out Nigeria as pedestrian and it took all I had to let it slide lol.

Such a good album with a powerhouse line up.

And the sq is fantastic.

5. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Clark + Green = always good! I think they push each other and it's obvious on those records.

IanL and Crazysteve like this.
  6. capesq

capesq Well-Known Member

This morning, I received an email from Target (where I placed an order for the upcoming August TP titles) stating that the new estimated delivery date for The Kicker and It’s Time! to be July 9. I’m assuming this is a mistake, but did anyone else receive this?

7. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I got that email too.

8. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

Got the same one.

I think they just have an older date linked to the item in their system.

I’m pretty sure there’s solid info somewhere on here that all four are coming in August no?

9. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Is Target the only outlet with a pre-order for these?

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Add me to the list.

11. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Agreed! Way to shrug off some nonsense. Nigeria is a fine listen for many reasons.

ausgraeme and paulmock like this.
  12. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I can't find these on Amazon!

13. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Of the three Grant Green/Sonny Clark Quartet albums, I love Nigeria the most. I could never get into Gooden’s Corner enough to grab that MMJ. I think Blakey is the secret ingredient to keep it swinging a bit more than the other two. He’s not on Oleo or Gooden and they both lack a spark for me, despite loving Green and Clark

mktracy, Bananas&blow and Levi's Tubs like this.
  14. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

The Cooker is exceptional....it has everything!

mktracy, Kimiimacman and musictoad like this.
  15. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

+ 1

I was so pumped when I found out TP was doing Nigeria. It’s my favorite of the Sonny Clark sessions.

16. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

No, but thanks for the heads up.

17. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

I recently received the Music Matters version of Gooden’s Corner. I must say it’s an amazing sounding record. And as much as I love Art Blakey, the drumming of Louis Hayes, whom I don’t know much about, really shines on that record, really splashes out of the speakers. I think it’s really worth a listen.

mktracy, Fender Relic and blutiga like this.
  18. Sam

Sam Senior Member

It does. It's simply oustanding! Joe is correct. The stereo is king!

19. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

Ordered. Thank you for the heads up! This is why I love this thread/forum (my wallet doesn't nonetheless).

20. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Wow, wow, wow! Getting through The Prisoner now for the first time. Amazing record and the sound is top notch! One of the top in the TP and BN80 series.

paulmock, ausgraeme, AllenR and 5 others like this.
  21. Garson

Garson Enthusiast

I cannot wait for Roots and Herbs

ausgraeme likes this.
  22. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I just got my copy a few days ago, and I concur completely! The one thing I wish were different is the panning--it often seems like Coles's trumpet is the only instrument to the left of the centered piano, with everything else to the right. It feels unbalanced to me. But the tonality is great, as is the music. There are some jaw-dropping piano passages.

dastinger and TerpStation like this.
  23. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

Wait, “someone” who is highly invested in massively expensive and highly limited vinyl releases was dismissive and critical of a release you enjoy that is, in contrast, widely available and cheaper to purchase? Scratchin my head on that one! :biglaugh:

Aeryn Sun, Levi's Tubs and trd like this.
  24. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Happy birthday to jazz pianist and composer, Andrew Hill – born June 30, 1931. This morning, in celebration of the occasion, I'm spinning a trio of his recent Blue Note reissues . . .

First up, the controversial "warbly" Black Fire . . .

[​IMG]
    1964/2019 Blue Note ‎– ST-84151
    Blue Note Tone Poet Series – KPG&JH@CA

Recorded in 1963, but not released until 1966 – a unique session, featuring two bass players (not Tone Poet, I know) . . .

[​IMG]
    1966/2020 Blue Note ‎– ST-84160
    Blue Note 80 Vinyl Reissue Series – KPG@CA

Maybe saving the best for last, this one is just about as good as avant-garde jazz gets — an extraordinary masterpiece, Andrew Hill is backed by a stellar line-up of musicians on one of my all-time favourite Blue Note sessions (not Tone Poet, I know) . . .

[​IMG]
    1965/2010 Music Matters Ltd. ‎– MMBST-84167, Blue Note ‎– BST 84167
    Blue Note The Definitive 45 RPM Reissue Series – KPG&SH@ATM

Jam757, funknik, mktracy and 7 others like this.
  25. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

ausgraeme and Crazysteve like this.