'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

Does anybody know if Wayne Shorter's Etcetera is still in print on Tone Poet? Nobody but Blue Note seems to have it and I can't tell from the website if it's actually in stock...

2. capesq

capesq Well-Known Member

I’ve noticed the same lately with the Sam Rivers release.

3. These are not limited and are not going to be OOP anytime soon, though with the plants being shut down the past couple months, I’d imagine represses are backed up.

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

All labels judge whether there are sufficient sales left in a title to make a repress worthwhile, even an additional 500 copies carries a reasonable cost and if you don't have 200+ unfulfilled orders you are likely going to call it a day, according to the UK Blue Note shop which being part of Universal should have the correct info the Sam Rivers is deleted, or as they list it no longer available, rather than out of stock, it's not the only title either, in 2020 all vinyl is limited, whether there are 500 copies, 5,000 or 10,000 it's no longer the twentieth century, grab them when you see them.

mktracy, Marko K, GyroSE and 2 others like this.
  5. Mister D

Mister D Forum Resident

Just checked the BN site and was able to add Etcetera to my cart, appears to be available. Sam Rivers Contours is listed as Sold Out on the BN site.

6. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Not to be confused with Peaches & Herb.

7. We have been through this (“OMG they say sold out!”) multiple times for several titles, including ETC and the Sam Rivers. Joe Harley assured us they will be in print for the foreseeable future. Lo and behold they came back available each time. They will go out of print eventually I reckon but I’d bet dollars to donuts that is multiple years down the line.

GentleSenator and trd like this.
  8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

This isn't the 1960s, nobody keeps titles in print for years, Universal doesn't want to pay money to press vinyl that is going to be sat in a warehouse costing more money for months let alone years, especially for niche genres, you wouldn't believe how quickly distributors send stock back to labels now, if Joe wants to post that no titles are deleted I'll believe him, but short of that I think that for certain titles whatever copies are in the distribution/retail chain are all there will be and we've all had plenty of time to get them, wish it wasn't so, but I'd happily take your bet.

Harrison likes this.
  9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I would add that I could see represses of some titles a year or two down the road if there was sufficient demand, but that's not the same as keeping something on catalogue and said demand is far from certain.

10. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

But there a few sellers on Amazon that have this title.....

11. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

I know that the reason that the early titles sold out was because Universal internationally misjudged how well the series would do.
    These titles were then repressed.
    The problem was solved by upping the initial orders for future releases.
    I would imagine that a minimum viable pressing for a release like this will be about 3000 - anything below would cost way too much per unit.
    Repressing for a jazz album at those numbers would be highly unusual - so it will be interesting to see how this progresses, but for now there will be plenty of stock out there.

12. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Both are still in stock on Amazon.ca:

https://www.amazon.ca/Etcetera-LP-Wayne-Shorter/dp/B07LD8VFVJ/
    https://www.amazon.ca/Contours-Blue-Note-Tone-Poet/dp/B07MWXTMS9/

Priced slightly high, at 45 CAD, but many of this year's titles are sitting at $50, so maybe a relative bargain in these times! :)

13. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

It’s not. I have order that’s been held up for two months waiting for it. See below:

Hi Andy,

Thanks for reaching out, and I truly apologize for the delay that has surrounded your order. It appears that the following LPs are currently delayed:

Wayne Shorter - Etcetera LP (Tone Poet Series)
    Chet Baker - Chet Baker Sings LP (Tone Poet Series)

Our fulfillment team is currently working on an updated shipping timeline for your order, and I assure you that we will be back in touch as soon as we have more information to communicate.

bmusic likes this.
  14. mrbob

mrbob Forum Resident

FWIW German retailer jpc has Etcetera still in stock, Contours is listed as being repressed, available again at the end of August. Maybe they know more than we do.

I own both albums, love the Shorter but still can’t get into the Sam Rivers. Too fast and too far out for me, my line of acceptance currently runs between Contours and Black Fire, BF is in, Contours is out. But this may change when this great series continues.:)

dastinger and ausgraeme like this.
  15. trd

trd Forum Resident

Has anyone seen Minor Move anywhere? Seems to be sold out at blue note, Amazon, Target. My local store’s (Amoeba) website is down for maintenance.

16. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

Try here.

trd likes this.
  17. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

My local Bull Moose has a copy:
    - Tina Brooks - Minor Move

AnalogJ and trd like this.
  18. trd

trd Forum Resident

Thank you, both!

funknik likes this.
  19. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

when is this slated for release?

20. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Thats an incredibly narrow line you are on, my prediction is that it will be weeks or months -not years- before you finish the crossing.
    Contours is a real favourite of mine as is BF ..:)

ryu and NorthNY Mark like this.
  21. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

And you ordered this from Blue Note?

funknik likes this.
  22. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

That is the standard response from blue note. This has happened on my last three orders from them. After a month or two of waiting I just request for them to ship available items and cancel the back ordered items.

23. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

This was their third reply - the first two amounted to nothing more than “sit tight.” I DID end up cancelling the back ordered items on my last order, which is why they sent me a discount code for my next order, which is the only reason I placed another order. I guess if this is just their standard operating procedure, I can be patient, but it seems kind of crazy.

The funny thing is that I already have a copy of the Chet Baker, I just ordered it because of the discount - it’s unlike me to buy duplicate copies of anything, but I was moved to for some reason. The Wayne Shorter ETC record was listed as “available June 12th” rather than “sold out” (like Contours). It seems that they changed the availability message on the order page, when it is clearly NOT actually in stock. At least I payed through PayPal, so I should be able to push back if it ever comes to that.

24. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I don’t order from Blue Note anymore, it’s a hassle, and they charge me tax which kills any discount. Just ordered a bunch of Tone Poets to complete my collection. I had to order from Target, Theingroove, and Acoustic Sounds. Good luck.

25. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Same here...will not order direct from Blue Note again. It's been 2 weeks since reporting receipt of t-shirts instead of the records I ordered, and only one response asking me to send photos of the t-shirts, which I did. Worst customer service I've experienced buying records.