'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. ThirtyThree1/3

ThirtyThree1/3 Forum Resident

I found the release order to be interesting too. It would be cool to find out why...

David Sonnier likes this.
  2. ThirtyThree1/3

That's awesome. Amazon pricing is crazy. Udiscover can be all over the place, so maybe I will jump ship. That's a good point, the cancel option is hassle free.

3. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

Exactly!, At least for the early ones, as he himself stated. There just seems to be a general misunderstanding what "stereo" is and how it's created, it's not just "two channels of playback or recording"

MisterBritt likes this.
  4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I assume because BN75 released vol 1 only. Vol 2 hadn’t been reissued in longer. Plus gave Them a chance to see what demand was there

Fractured and ThirtyThree1/3 like this.
  5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Agree with you on that. The good news is I'm hearing the Tone Poet Vol. 1 is as good if not better sounding than Vol. 2...we shall soon hear. Can't wait for the "Fantastic Four" to finally come out.

Dignan2000 and ThirtyThree1/3 like this.
  6. JerryTurcotte

JerryTurcotte Forum Resident

7. ThirtyThree1/3

Yes, I am too. This has been on my want list and I couldn't think of a better time. Was it rumored to be a MMJ33? I wonder what happened? At least it's happening now.

8. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Preordered Herbie via amazon. Looking forward to that one. What a line up.

9. JerryTurcotte

JerryTurcotte Forum Resident

There was no rumors. I remembered from the MMJ thread back in the days that they did not especially like Jimmy Smith music and wanted to reissue music that they cared for. Not sure if it was Joe. Some people here might have a better reckollection.

MisterBritt and ThirtyThree1/3 like this.
  10. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

If there was any dispute; it would have been most likely Ron that nixed the idea (clearly Joe is in favor of Jimmy Smith). From what I gather through my numerous conversations with Ron, he’s just not that into the whole soul jazz/Hammond thing - Larry Young is closer to coltrane if anything.

I’m glad that Joe is reissuing some Jimmy Smith to go along with my sermon OG which is in terrible shape and my random AP45 I have.

11. ThirtyThree1/3

Thank you both for your insight into the Jimmy Smith release. It must be neat to have the ability to issue the music you love and even music you'll hope other people will love. This whole series is just awesome.

Separately, I am curious if anyone thinks Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers The Freedom Rider will have a wider release through Blue Note outside of Vinyl Me Please? Tone Poet perhaps? I missed out and the second hand copies are a lot of cheddar to shell out for a VMP release. I'd rather Blue Note get my money. They deserve it.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  12. BitterFishinCrudeOilSea

BitterFishinCrudeOilSea Forum Resident

Been wondering this, myself. Have come close to pulling the trigger on an expensive copy, but I just really don't like feeding the flippers. Would much rather give my money directly to the labels/distros/stores than some dude who snagged a VMP copy just to sell it for more than double its cost. (I'm all for folks selling stuff from their private collections, just don't like folks hoarding copies to flip--that gets my goat).

13. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Freedom Rider was released through a subscription (one copy per person), so I doubt many people were hoarding them. I think there is a zero change this being released as a Tone Poet, maybe 10 years from now on the 90th Blue Note anniversary.

hutlock and mktracy like this.
  14. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I finally got Lonnie Smith TP in the house after hearing so many rave reviews. Besides Cassandra it was the only TP that I didn’t get upon release. This record is excellent music!
    Now even more stoked for 4 coming Aug 28.
    [​IMG]

15. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

Have a look at the “for sale” listings for that VMP release on Discogs. I’m betting at least half the people that bought the Freedom Rider bought it just so they could flip it.

16. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

If I understand the model correctly, you have to get so many records a month, based on your plan. Therefore, wouldn't that create the opportunity for many to sell a record now and again that they didn't really want, but could find no other alternative to choose?

17. miq2son

miq2son Forum Resident

btf1980 likes this.
  18. BitterFishinCrudeOilSea

BitterFishinCrudeOilSea Forum Resident

More or less, but there's one for sale on eBay, and the page says they've already sold 2 copies of it. So, that means this person somehow ended up with three copies they're selling for >$100

ausgraeme likes this.
  19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm again playing Grant Green's Nigeria. This really is an outstanding reissue, and important that it never did get a release when it was recorded, shelved by Blue Note instead.

This is a great way to get into Grant Green, if you haven't already. It's a really good sounding reissue as well.

20. AnalogJ

Honestly, if it were possible to get EVERYTHING right with these Tone Poets, I'd be really drooling over this series. But largely because of the warbling being distracting to me, I'm being much more choosy with regard to the titles I'm purchasing.

21. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

I haven't obsessively studied the warble thread, but the recent releases seem to be trending in the right direction, right? Lots of folks even loved the last batch of BN 80s.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  22. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I really like that album. I have the CD set (which sounds pretty good, IMO), of the Green/Clark collaborations, but still bought the TP because I like the album so much and wanted to hear it on vinyl.

23. AnalogJ

I have that CD set as well, and it's quite good for a CD. But this reissue pushes it up into thrilling territory (at times, anyway).

24. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I dunno , lots has been debated on this topic but I think you might be missing out on some interesting aspects of all of this:
    - just because someone is not intentionally trying to achieve a specific goal doesnt mean interesting things cant happen
    - have you ever sat in the sweet spot of your sound system listening to a Mono recording and heard a wide soundstage with good instrument separation. I get this not infrequently. It is possible but Im not sure what is going on exactly but my guess is that a superbly engineered mono gives such definition to each instrument that your brain artificially creates what it wants - a wide soundstage
    - have you ever listened to an early left right panned stereo recording but it seems like a phantom middle channel exists. Again i think its similar to my comments above re mono
    - it may be that magic can happen on some these early recordings if you relax into the music rather then fighting it with preconceived ideas of what should and shouldnt be ...

mktracy, Kimiimacman and Dean R like this.
  25. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

I recently received it, and it’s climbed up to one of my favorite GG sessions. He’s on fire and brings a lot of energy to session. Maybe that’s because Blakey keeps yelling at him haha.

mktracy, puelche, superstar19 and 2 others like this.