'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Listening to Chick Corea just now. SQ is amazing, pressing is flat and quiet, gatefold is gorgeous. @Joe Harley, well done. Start a subscription series (or perhaps you have done, and I’m behind on the uptake); I’m in for all of them going forward. Seriously, thank you!

2. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

Joe Harley talks about the Tone Poet series on the Vinyl Guide Podcast. If you're a vinyl lover you gotta check his podcasts.

bkbk, Marko K, Joe Harley and 6 others like this.
  3. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Thanks for the heads-up! I do follow him on my podcast app but just haven’t clicked on it in awhile, will listen soon.

4. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I don't know if you're aware of it but that was done at 45 RPM by Vinyl Me Please. I have that and think it sounds real good. Black Rhythm Happening by Eddie Gale is, in my opinion, a much stronger, much cooler album. Boy, I'd like to see that come down the pike!

5. AmiV

AmiV Forum Resident

Indeed, I missed the VMP 45 issue, and yes, black rhythm happening is great. They are both not quite in the line of the MM/TP reissues (Preach Brother ! actually is). But just in case they would like to branch out...

Now how about Harold Vick's Steppin' Out ? I know this one was done by heavenly sweetness, but I don't think that puts it in the exclusion count, does it ?

googlymoogly, MisterBritt and blutiga like this.
  6. bkbk

bkbk Forum Resident

My ETC label on both sides is pretty off center. Only had a chance to listen to side 1 so far and it was perfectly pressed. Centered, flat, quiet. So based on that side I have hope for side 2. Will post if any issues with side 2 pressing. Haven’t been able to sit and listen yet but had it on while doing other stuff and it sounded great.

MisterBritt and Joti Cover like this.
  7. bkbk

bkbk Forum Resident

Andrew Hill’s Passing Ships year 2!

NorthNY Mark and Joe Harley like this.
  8. bkbk

bkbk Forum Resident

Agree this set will intro me to new music. Might intro my local indie to new music too. They looked pleasantly surprised that someone actually bought these LPs.

9. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

Etcetera is another thumbs up for what promises to be an excellent series...it's a fantastic album, great jacket and I am looking forward to the rest already ! On mine there are similar QC issues but they do not affect play at all. The label is somewhat off center and it looks like the record is not entirely round, ie the run-in groove seems to have a slight variance in diameter. The grooves are straight (I guess concentric would be a better description :) ) - the tonearm is stable with no movement in the horizontal plane. Plays perfect. Flat. Silent. The Chick Corea disc had a few ticks on track 2, side 2, but they disappeared after a second ultrasonic clean.

I love the fluidity of this album, especially side 1 with side 2 being more adventurous. The recording is very balanced in sound - an overall sound signature that befits the music imo. There is an intricacy in the blowing and a melodic quality in the piano that makes this a very enjoyable listen. This is a Wayne Shorter album where in my view Herbie Hancck is the star, but Wayne has the last word :) The album was not released until fifteen years after it was recorded (same as Soothsayer, re-issued by MM in 2011) - an interesting detail, especially looking back, and one wonders why they hesitated with the release. This is a very deep album with lots to discover.

10. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Finished up the podcast last night and listened again this morning! Any fans of MM, blue note and tone poet series this is an essential listen! Joe shares tons of info regarding the process reissuing blue note vinyl, from RVG to master tape questions, pressing qualities, musi and unreleased sessions, you name it!

bkbk, Cervelo, timzigs and 11 others like this.
  11. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

So people listening don't have to scramble to write down those upcoming titles,
    here's the list from the press release:

Tone Poet Audiophile Vinyl Reissue Series:

February 8

Wayne Shorter – Etcetera (Blue Note, 1965)

Chick Corea – Now He Sings, Now He Sobs (Solid State, 1968)

March 15

Sam Rivers – Contours (Blue Note, 1965)

Cassandra Wilson – Glamoured (Blue Note, 2003)

April 26

Gil Evans – New Bottle Old Wine (World Pacific, 1958)

Joe Henderson – The State of the Tenor: Live at the Village Vanguard, Vol 2 (Blue Note, 1985)

May 31

Lou Donaldson – Mr. Shing-A-Ling (Blue Note, 1967)

Lee Morgan – Cornbread (Blue Note, 1965)

June 28

Baby Face Willette – Face To Face (Blue Note, 1961) organ

Dexter Gordon – Clubhouse (Blue Note, 1965)

July 26

1523 Kenny Burrell – Introducing Kenny Burrell (Blue Note, 1956)

Andrew Hill – Black Fire (Blue Note, 1963)

September 6

Donald Byrd – Chant (Blue Note, 1961)

Stanley Turrentine – Hustlin’ (Blue Note, 1964)

October 25

Grant Green – Born to Be Blue (Blue Note, 1962)

Tina Brooks – (lee Morgan) Minor Move (Blue Note, 1958). (later released)

November 15

Hank Mobley – Poppin’ (Blue Note, 1957). (japan ’80 released session)

Stanley Turrentine – Comin’ Your Way (Blue Note, 1961)

12. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Joe actually doesn't go over the list of titles, but he does share some excellent background info on a few! The parts of the podcast that I thought were very interesting were his info on the master tapes and the cutting process with Kevin, all of the history and background on the starting up of music matters, and just hearing him talk about the reissuing process as a whole.

13. Has the new Cassandra Wilson release date been confirmed? Joe mentioned a few pages back that they had to recut this one and it would be delayed beyond March

Still on the fence with this one to be honest. Not one I would normally get but I am tempted to buy the complete series as every other title I am in for

14. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Sounds awesome and I'd like to hear it but what's a podcast? Is there any other way of hearing it for non-podcasters?

15. Google Vinyl Guide Joe Harley. You can listen through your browser

Fender Relic likes this.
  16. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Fender its super easy all you need is a smartphone. I am a complete luddite so if I can do it then anyone can. Pm me and I will take you through the process.

bluejimbop and Fender Relic like this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Was the link posted? Didnt see it. Would like to listen also :thumbsup:

18. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Can we start with Spring? But all of these titles are amazing......fabulous list.

DougT and Joe Harley like this.
  19. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

The podcast is excellent. It is a great listen if you are interested in the back story about Music Matters, Tone Poet, RVG and Blue Note recordings in general.

20. fuzzbo

fuzzbo Forum Resident

21. Elofan

Elofan Forum Resident

Yes....in my opinion brilliant! Joe is a great guy, my big ...rather huge Thank You! For doing all this for jazz lovers and audiophile community!
    Joe , keep them coming and you have a customer for life!

Joe Harley and Joti Cover like this.
  22. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Thanks for the kind words Joel. I have an ultrasonic cleaning machine that I absolutely need when QC'ing test pressings. New pressings can absolutely fool you unless very thoroughly cleaned before playing. Many ticks and pops simply disappear after a proper cleaning. The same can happen by simply playing a few times but I'd rather get the LP really clean first. Trying to QC records by playing them new and uncleaned can end up being a bottomless rabbit hole of frustration. The new machines that use ultrasonic cavitation really tell you what is there from the 1st play.

robd2, Admerr, bluejimbop and 6 others like this.
  23. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Thanks so much Elofan! I'll try to keep earning your support!

Joti Cover, SoundDoctor and Elofan like this.
  24. Elofan

Elofan Forum Resident

:goodie:

25. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

Just received my copy of Etcetera here in Australia. Ordered directly from Blue Note and arrived sealed in perfect condition. Fantastic sounding record, especially those Joe Chambers drums!
    Record and packaging very close to MM quality, beautiful glossy gatefold cover.
    Hopefully more initiatives like this see the light of day. This record cost me around AUD$70 incl shipping which is definitely expensive but no way near what it costs for a Music Matters record - it’s way, way, WAY over AUD$100 for a big name MM title by the time it gets to Australia. Currently eyeing off Dexter Gordon’s Clubhouse, Lee Morgan’s Cornbread and Andrew Hills Black Fire as well as Tina Brooks.