'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Great story, Scotti...thanks for sharing...and thanks for the MPOV review. Stay well!

magnet, scotti and ausgraeme like this.
  2. ThirtyThree1/3

ThirtyThree1/3 Forum Resident

Thank you for the story Scotti and it's great you are back doing what you love. Keep the anecdotes and positive vibes flowing!

scotti likes this.
  3. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

Finally got my copy of State of the Tenor Vol 1. What a wonderful disc! This is awesome music. Now if they could only fix their QC. This is my second copy. The first one had to go back due to warp and off center. The second one is still a little noisy (not too much though). There is one I want to check, does anyone hear a sudden distortion on the second song of Side 1 at the 3:20 mark ? Not sure if this is on the tape or on my disc. The vinyl looks flawless visually.

4. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

About a half second of tearing sound? It's non-fill. It's the only flaw on my copy so easily ignorable.

5. Craig's Story

Craig's Story Forum Resident

Always enjoy your rambles! And happy to hear you are home, take care (put those Rolling Stones records aside)and stay with the Jazz. May I suggest Randy Weston’s Spirit of our Ancestors, in particular the track ‘The Healers”

scotti likes this.
  6. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Need to return mine too, has a warp AND a skip on side 1. Still listened to the album through, though, it sounds great and is an out there performance. Highly recommend.

7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Distortion and non-fill sound different.

RyeB likes this.
  8. gr8trak

gr8trak Forum Resident

Then I’ve had the same problem on two different pressings from Amazon. Curious how widespread it is since no one else’s mentioned it besides you and AFA.

9. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

Yep, its a half second tearing sound. I misstated it as distortion.

AnalogJ likes this.
  10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Youre probably in for a wait. Everytime Ive ordered from them its been three months. I use to get bent out of shape a bit about it, but I got plenty to play and its kind of a nice surprise when they show up. "Oh yeah huh, I forgot about these"..

Levi's Tubs likes this.
  11. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

They're like little unexpected gifts to yourself.

mpayan likes this.
  12. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Listening to the new Turrentine tone poet release. Sounds very good on my rig but sadly the album sleeve has the familiar tear inside where the LP meets the fold. I've had this a lot with the MusicMatters releases and sort of got used to it but it's frustrating that something new, ordered in advance, made with love, comes like this. Note to self...it's about the music, it's about the music.

13. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Just for the record, my Vol.1 is flat and does not suffer from non-fill, but it skips in a couple of places. They are dynamic bursts. My phono section has meters and I've watched them jump well into the red (+3 db, for instance) when it skips. I'll just live with it. I'm not going to bother to return it. Too much hassle. It's a keeper just the same.

14. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

Amazon has several reviews pointing to defects on this one. Looks like most of the pressings have the skip or non fill on side 1. I remember the pressing defect in the first run of New Bottle Old Wine which they fixed in the second run. I’m going to return mine and try again after a few months.

Levi's Tubs and MisterBritt like this.
  15. Dai

Very different.

16. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Yep, sent mine back to Amazon. New copy from Dodax arrives tomorrow, fingers crossed!

17. JazzFanatic

JazzFanatic Jazz Man In Orbit

Three months? I hope they'll ship way before that time frame. PayPal deducts the money immediately and pays Blue Note. I will cancel the order and get a refund before I wait that long. Should have purchased through Amazon. We'll see what happens in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for your honest response.

18. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

A tearing sound in the middle of a side would be "stitching", and that's what I thought at first as well (I hear it on mine, too), but it's neither that nor non-fill (speckly pattern) if it's in the same spot on a bunch of copies.

I think @MisterBritt has it right in suggesting that it's a skip/mistracking on the horn blast. I looked at the groove there (to check for stitching) and it's like a saw blade ("sawtooth wave")! I don't see any pressing imperfections (and stitching is pretty easy to see on black vinyl). So I suspect my MP110 just can't track it. I'll try it on the Clearaudio (Performer cartridge) tomorrow, and hopefully the new cart that I will hopefully get soon, to replace the Nagaoka, will handle it better.

Levi's Tubs and MisterBritt like this.
  19. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

Thanks. Please do let us know what you find out.

20. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Stu02, Fractured and AFA like this.
  21. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

We'd be interested to learn if your Clearaudio Performer cartridge can track it. I put Joe Henderson's Vol. 1 back on tonight. I've listened to this album in full (both sides) three times, wondering if repeated listens and cleanings might improve my experience. No dice. But I did have occasion to review the meters on my phono preamp, which is not something I typically look at while listening to music unless there is an abnormality. The meters are showing a scorching level. While I couldn't capture a photo at full peak, here's a shot of the right channel when the bass drum and horn are hitting it hard, and we can observe the meter is clearly over the line.

[​IMG]

With my eyes, I observed it hotter than this! As far as the accuracy of the meters, McIntosh Labs states:

"Voltage and current outputs are electronically measured, multiplied and fed to a special circuit that accelerates the pointer movement in the upward direction. When the pointer reaches its peak, it pauses only long enough for the human eye to perceive its position, then drops. It is almost 10 times faster than a professional VU meter."

Maybe that's the problem -- their VU meters didn't catch it. Just kidding, as indeed, the Tone Poet team would have listened to test pressings. I don't know what to make of it. Going further down the rabbit hole, I found myself on McIntosh engineer Roger Russell's archived website studying the relationship between their meters and output. To wit:

"However, a 3dB increase is the same as twice the power and is also the same as a 3dB increase in listening level. A 10dB increase is ten times the power and is also the same as a 10 dB increase in listening level."

The point being, the 3dB increase -- that's 3dB over redline -- in question is more substantial than one might think.

For comparison, I listened to two other albums tonight, the AP Miles Davis Quintet Cookin' mono and the MFSL Santana III, glancing over at the meters during peak outputs. Miles can get pretty hot on that horn; and when the Tower of Power horn section jumps in on the Santana III album, it's the same story. At no time did the meters get within ~ 3dB of the 0 (zero) peak redline, and typically, of course, danced around much lower than that. In conclusion, I believe Joe Henderson's Vol. 1 is cut muy caliente. As I said before, this isn't something that's bothering me to where I'm considering returning/exchanging it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  22. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I am finally spinning this Tone Poet LP and I think I get a feeling for why this was shelved by Alfred Lion back in the day. The first track, "Mirrors", has a very odd-sounding stereo sound. Basically it's two extremely separated mono channels, with vibes, piano, bass and drums in the right channel and Joe Henderson's tenor isolated in the left channel. The recording of these isolated channels is wonderful but this stereo sound definitely doesn't sound right. For this Tone Poet LP, I think they should have cut this track in mono. The rest of the tracks, in contrast, sound fine.

BTW - at the end of Joe Henderson's solo on "Mirrors", the sax sound breaks up a bit. That's not a pressing defect because it's also on the CD. I don't think it's a tape defect either. I think that's Joe trying to play very softly and that's what can happen when you do that.

Regarding the CD version... I decided to spin it after the Tone Poet LP and I just don't get this "blows the CD out of the water" stuff. This is a very good-sounding CD. I don't think it's much different from the LP at all. If anything, the Tone Poet LP may have a bit of a bass boost, which I can do with tone controls if I really wanted them to sound the same. FWIW, on the CD, Ron McMaster seems to have narrowed the stereo spread on "Mirrors", so the odd stereo spacing isn't as jarring as it is on the Tone Poet LP. There's even a little L<->R channel bleed and I think that's a good thing here.

trd, Dai, mackeyse and 3 others like this.
  23. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

My new copy arrived today (from a different seller than the first) and am pleased to report this copy does NOT exhibit the sound. However whilst testing with the stopwatch running I noticed this which I didn’t see on the other copy but repeated playing through it still plays without a hitch.
    [​IMG]

mktracy, Dai, magnet and 2 others like this.
  24. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

thanks for pointing this out. I've only had the chance to spin this record once so far - but this part in particular really stood out, even whilst doing other stuff at the same time. sounds rough as hell!

cheers

AFA likes this.
  25. Dai

I hear the spit in the reed during the last few notes of the track, not at the end of his solo... but all part of the character of the instrument :love: I love this track... love Joe Chambers's compositions in general.

Kimiimacman and MisterBritt like this.