'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Just picked up all 3 new Tone Poets. I won't get to listen to them until tomorrow though.

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I don't think I have ever returned a record merely because I'm not into it.

But I'm a fairly inquisitive listener, as it helps fuel my own imagination, and sometimes my compositions and playing.

I'll be buying it.

3. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I adore Shorter but have struggled to love this one. I have not thrown in the towel though.

ausgraeme likes this.
  4. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Man, I would love to get Patterns as a standalone. Something tells me we could eventually see it once BNR sells out, but ohhhhh the waiting :waiting:

Fender Relic, AFA and Gabe Walters like this.
  5. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Don’t hate me if I tell you it sounds great.

6. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Can you even do that? If the product isn't defective, then it's on you if you don't dig the music.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

im sure there’s some blowback with amazon returns on the BN bottom line id imagine.

8. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

You could just lie and say the record is defective in some material way. Most large businesses don't have time to check out the veracity of a customer's claim. Amazon literally auctions off bins full of returned product; enough of it still works that it is worth someone's time to comb through it and see what can be salvaged and resold. Amazon makes so much money that it's more economical to just replace the item whether it's really damaged, defective or not.

This in stark comparison to Mobile Fidelity, who refused to send me new inner sleeves when I'd returned two Blood on the Tracks One-Step boxes to Amazon due to inch-long seam splits on each disc. I just thought that, for $145 or whatever it was, I should have an undamaged product. Silly me. MoFi refused to help me because I'd bought through Amazon. So I sent that one back, too, but never did get a copy without split sleeves. I am pretty sure the problem originated with MoFi. Occam's Razor.

9. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

So I believe Scotti has confirmed:
    Andrew Hill, Passing Ships
    Dexter Gordon, One Flight Up
    Joe Pass, For Django
    Sonny Clark, My Conception
    Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers, The Witch Doctor
    Curtis Amy & Dupree Bolton, Katanga!

And my guess for the Tyner clue is either Cosmos which doesn’t look like it’s had a release since the 70s or both Expansions and Extensions. Probably the latter two as they were recorded in ‘68 then in ‘70, while Cosmos was over ‘68, ‘69, and ‘70, to match Scotti’s clue a bit better.

On a similar note, I grabbed a copy of Andrew Hill’s One for One, which looks like it’s had only the same Blue Note Reissue series as Cosmos. Haven’t had a chance to clean it up to listen to it but man, I hope the TP series continues on for a long while so we get more of the BN catalogue brought back to life!

NorthNY Mark and scotti like this.
  10. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

Has anyone in the UK (or elsewhere, perhaps)who ordered the latest TP's recieved a shipping notice from the Blue Note store in the UK? They seem to have pushed back the Herbie title to October 30th as well.

11. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Oh god, forgot the big one for today!
    Andrew Hill, Passing Ships
    Dexter Gordon, One Flight Up
    Joe Pass, For Django
    Sonny Clark, My Conception
    Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers, The Witch Doctor
    Curtis Amy & Dupree Bolton, Katanga!
    Wayne Shorter, The All Seeing Eye

It’s great to see another title with Moncur featured (My Point of View being the other). I think aside from Some Other Stuff, the remaining Sam Rivers titles would be lovely...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  12. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

Just received a shipping noticed from Amazon on the the Silver, Hancock and Smith releases, but I noticed that the "final" prices for these are more expensive than past Tone Poet pre-orders. These were $30 instead of about $27 previously. There are other places that sell it for $27 and no tax so I will likely pre-order from those stores in the future. The pricing difference itself is not a big deal (although it does add up with tax), but combined with Amazon packaging being sometimes a gamble, it is now a less attractive option.

Dignan2000 and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm in the same boat, everything will ship at once when they get Herbie on the 30th, you can get them to ship as and when they have the stock, but you will pay more than one lot of postage which likely negates any savings from their 20% off sale.

14. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

A big store in Athens offers all vinyl records with 24% discount today. I got Joe Henderson Village Vanguard Vol. 1 (27 EUR). Amazing record as Vol. 2 was too.

miq2son, Biff Jones, Dai and 4 others like this.
  15. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I should have Prayer Meetin' and My Point Of View by Monday - a new record for amazon.ca

16. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

IANOS OR PUBLIC?

Have a nice weekend

RiRiIII likes this.
  17. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

:hugs: I feel your pain. That is one album I've tried to get for years and always get outbid or miss altogether. Duke Pearson Sweet Honey Bee is another. Prices have gone insane but I haven't...yet.

18. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Public.
    Enjoy!

magnet likes this.
  19. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

They have a promotion "VAT deduction from all vinyl records" and also "24% discount". Of course these are two different things. If you go by the former you get a 19,35% discount (considering 24% VAT applies). With the latter obviously 24%.

However, the cashier gives a 19,3% discount. I asked them for 24% since this is what they also offer. They told me that this is what the system gives. They went up to the bosses and the bosses bosses. Finally they provided to me not only 24%, but by mistake 30%! I tried to explain them afterwards that their promotion should only state 19,3% discount if they intend to deduct the VAT. They were confused.
    I explained to them that when something costs 124 Euro the 24% VAT is indeed 24 EUR, but this VAT is not 24% of the 124 EUR. So, they should divide 124 by 1,24 if they want us to pay the net value (without VAT). Or simply multiply by 0,1935. They asked me if I were a mathematician...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    dastinger, zither, AnalogJ and 2 others like this.
  20. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

I’m with you on that - Dance would be awesome. I’m just thrilled that getting Andrew Hill released seems to be a priority for someone at Blue Note in these two reissue series. All of us Sonny Clark fans are psyched too - I have six LPs featuring Sonny so far - talk about a dream!

NorthNY Mark and Gabe Walters like this.
  21. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

I see the promotion VAT DEDUCTION and 100*124/100= 80.65 = 19.35% discount, but I can't see the 24% discount , is there a coupon?

22. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

They had some banners in the shop.

magnet likes this.
  23. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Never knew there even was an arrow! Thanks for the info :)

Mugrug12 likes this.
  24. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

Oh, really...did you hear anything from them? Many thanks for the response.

25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

To be fair they do keep me informed by email, firstly when the release date changed for "Blue Note Re:Imagined" and then when Herbie was postponed, based on past experience as soon as they have everything they will ship straight away so expect to receive yours just after the 30th, being cheap I selected ship all at once, I also split the order with a couple of other people so a delay is the cost of nearly free shipping.

sunspot likes this.