'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I am not a member of VMP so I could not get a copy and it's $90 on discogs for a used copy, so I will wait. If I had the VMP version I would be set as well. I realize many like VMP and I have some titles from them that sound mighty fine, but I'm not a fan of how they operate even though I will say they put out some great stuff!

2. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

VMP will almost certainly repress Freedom Rider though so there is hope if anyone hasn’t grabbed it yet

Sneezyachew likes this.
  3. BitterFishinCrudeOilSea

BitterFishinCrudeOilSea Forum Resident

Thanks for this info! I've been toying with the idea of plunking down the 75-85 clams the VMP Freedom Rider is commanding on Discogs, but I think I'll hold off and hope for the best.

If that ends up happening, next I'll start hoping for standalone releases of Africane and Patterns...

scotti likes this.
  4. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

The VMP release of Sonny Rollins The Freedom Suite is fantastic also in case you are interested.

5. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Was that a Kevin Gray cut lp?

6. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Ryan Smith
    Freedom Suite

Sneezyachew and Stu02 like this.
  7. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Ditto, sounds great.

8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Very nice and still at a decent price. Thanks!

9. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

+2. Big full fat sound, and an improvement over the ‘80’s OJC.

Mugrug12 and guidedbyvoices like this.
  10. Biff Jones

Biff Jones Forum Resident

May I ask where you purchased your Mingus Ah Um One Step? I haven’t seen it available anywhere and wondered whether it is sold out. Thx.

11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I pre-ordered it from AS when they were still taking advanced orders for it on the second round. They sold out of what they knew they were allocated before they got them and that is why they removed it and it now says no longer available.

I thought someone said Target might still have a few copies. I would try and grab one soon from somewhere as I have a feeling this one will soar in price down the road...good luck to you!

Biff Jones likes this.
  12. Biff Jones

I preordered the Mingus One Step from Target in early August only to be told that is on backorder. This, after other forum members ordered copies during the last sale which they have already received. I’m sure I will never see the record. Target is good for non-essentials, but don’t trust them for anything that is a limited release. I learned the hard way.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    scotti likes this.
  13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

AS is a great alternative to MD, but I'm sure you know that. I am treated so well by AS, I try and give them as much of my non local purchases as possible. There is one on ebay right now for only $35 more than the original sell and only $12 to ship. I paid $125 plus $11 to ship. That copy will not last long and from a US seller...

Biff Jones and AnalogJ like this.
  14. jstarboy

jstarboy Well-Known Member

Re Mingus Ah Um One Step, it has periodically come back in stock on MOFI's website. Sign up for their emails; they will email when it's back. This is how I was able to get mine despite having one PO'd at AS for months. Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um 180g 45RPM 2LP Box Set

Sidenote: anyone realize that AS is now charging sales tax? I have been buying from them for years with no tax, which was always a huge draw to their site.

Biff Jones likes this.
  15. Biff Jones

Many thanks for the ebay tip and for suggesting AS. I agree wholeheartedly. AS has been my go to for years. Excellent staff, great sales and hassle free service. My mistake was to think that I was covered on the Mingus with my Target order. Otherwise I would have ordered the record from AS or someone else when it was first listed. A hard lesson learned.

scotti likes this.
  16. Biff Jones

I appreciate your encouragement. I’m signed up for MoFi news but I could not find an option for requesting an email when a title is back in stock. I will send them a note to see whether another batch is expected in the future. With a maximum run of 6,000 I still cling to the idea that there must be more copies on the way.

scotti likes this.
  17. Kip Kasper

Kip Kasper Well-Known Member

The best bet is to buy Mobile Fidelity titles from Music Direct and Analogue Productions titles from AS. I pre-ordered the second run of Mingus from AS but still waiting, not sure if it will even get fulfilled. Luckily I found a copy for retail elsewhere

Biff Jones likes this.
  18. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

They also changed their permanent "sale" which used to be just 10% off, now it's 10% off $99+

19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

No sales tax on my orders yet, might be per state. My Mingus arrived Saturday and no sales tax. For those thinking this will be getting another press, I don't think so, was told this was it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Elofan and AnalogJ like this.
  20. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

Purchased from Discogs for $35 sealed. $90 I'd roll my eyes as well.

scotti likes this.
  21. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

As though there'd be much doubt the Joe Henderson State of The Tenor Vol 1 Tone Poet slays the UMe version.

scotti likes this.
  22. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

AS started charging sales tax for all orders placed on ior after October 1

23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

My Mingus was placed long before that, so that's why...oh well. Was a bit odd they did not charge it before, but no reason to complain about that.

24. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

That’s a state government issue

AnalogJ likes this.
  25. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

That doesn't go to AS. It's paid to the state of the buyer. If you live in a state that doesn't charge sales tax such as New Hampshire, you won't get charged.