'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

This is crazy! @Crazysteve sent me an email earlier today saying how much he liked this record. I only heard KingMaker but not this one. Did KG cut this one as well? As always, you make me thirsty for a good beverage. Nicely done!

Mazzy, djost and Crazysteve like this.
  2. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

No, it wasn’t done by KG. It does sound good though, especially on a Saturday morning. I don’t recommend following an Art Blakey record with it though.

scotti and djost like this.
  3. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Kevin cut my copy of Kingmaker.

Joel Ross (3) - Kingmaker

mktracy, scotti and djost like this.
  4. Crazysteve

Absolutely. I was referring to Who Are You though.

djost and DeRosa like this.
  5. djost

djost Hyperactive!

Do you also have his debut album Kingmaker? Listening to Who Are You? on Spotify right now and it sounds really good. Thanks for the heads up.

mktracy, scotti and Crazysteve like this.
  6. I’m playing it now. It’s beautiful. Not sure who cut it but not KG.

scotti likes this.
  7. Yes I have both

djost likes this.
  8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

They have had their problems pre-COVID. allegedly all was taken care of but then all hell broke loose. Now with the Holiday rush, I would not expect anything "timely" as far as delivery.

Bodhi likes this.
  9. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

Ian Sefchick at Capitol. Pressed at RTI. Nice pressing, but not much of an improvement over the 24/96 files. I wish they would have given it to KG or BG.

10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

At this time I'm not about to add more records to my wish list though (but it does sound like a nice record to chill to in the morning or maybe late at night. Following Blakey up with "Who Are You" (only streamed a bit of it) would be like following up Led Zeppelin with The Carpenters (but I do like the Carpenters very much). And then I see the post over on the Verve Label Group thread from @Josquin des Prez buying more Nina Simone records. I almost over reacted and ordered those as well without even hearing the two I just got. Thank goodness I came to my senses as that would not have been a good idea.

And now we have RSD next Friday. My store got screwed on the Resonance Sonny Rollins "Live In Holland" which I really wanted, but they did get the BOC Live, Masters Of Reality, and the Hancock. I think I need to stop buying and do more listening...

miq2son, mktracy and Crazysteve like this.
  11. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

I'm in the same boat. Had an estimated ship date of Nov. 9, but radio silence since I placed the order.

Bodhi likes this.
  12. LISTEN2JAZZ

LISTEN2JAZZ Active Member

They quoted me 4 more weeks on Etcetera & Cornbread. I asked if they could just ship the other 4 records I ordered in the meantime but they would not unless I canceled the two out of stock ones (which I did).

I am seriously unimpressed with uDiscover and probably won't order from them again. If I ever get sucked into the crazy low pricing again, it would definitely be one item per order.

Bodhi likes this.
  13. Mastered by Dave Darlington New York. Don’t know him. But it sound great.

markmck79 likes this.
  14. LISTEN2JAZZ

LISTEN2JAZZ Active Member

This album is great! I haven't gotten my vinyl copy yet (hopefully today) but I listened on Spotify and it's excellent.

15. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Yeah, I think I'm going to order Nina Simone's Little Girl Blue, and maybe Sings the Blues, as well as John Lewis Grand Encounters. I'm waiting to see what I feel like spending after paying bills and estimated taxes. I'm also holding out for a sale at Acoustic Sounds for Thanksgiving. Elusive Disc has started theirs, so Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds will likely follow suit.

scotti likes this.
  16. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

Sefchick cut the vinyl - see the stylized IS and the stamped CAPITOL in the run out. This almost guarantees it is just a cut of the digital master.

17. Thanks. It’s sounds beautiful.

18. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Thanks @scotti, truth is I wasn’t going to buy Prayer Metin’ nor IPASOY but so glad I did and that after only one very low level play of each + PB.
    Not wishing to sound nasty but can’t wait for the wife and daughter to walk the dog, it must be their turn:uhhuh:

19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Oh no, I forgot all about the AS Thanksgiving Day sale. Knowing my luck they will have everything on sale except the One Steps and UHQR titles. That's it, I'm running far away from this forum right now. But just in case, I would like to know how Little Girl Blue and Sings The Blues sounds.

mktracy and Crazysteve like this.
  20. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

Amen. Great sounding LP.

Bobby Hutcherson gets a lot of love on this forum (and deservedly so)...for people that enjoy vibes, Joel Ross is right up your alley.

mktracy and Mazzy like this.
  21. Yes and lots of great vibes and alto sax interplay with Immanuel Wilkins

22. Crazysteve

I just keep going back to that first song on side two of the new Blakey. Every pass through I turn it up even more.

Eric_B likes this.
  23. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Many of these new Blue Note jazz albums are superb. It seems that Blue Note may be starting a new tradition there. I haven’t tried any LPs yet but I have a good number of 96/24 downloads that are excellent in many respects. I hope these artists don’t have to wait 50 years or more before getting due respect and accolades.

Mazzy and DavidJ like this.
  24. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

I could see people seeking out original pressings of these in 50 years, assuming the planet isn’t on fire and these LPs are all melted.

miq2son, Stu02, Mazzy and 1 other person like this.
  25. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

Most definitely. I am a big fan of the relatively new BN Bill Frisell trio and Ron Miles albums and hope we get many more.

timzigs and misteranderson like this.