'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

Those are two I need to check out. I’m still trying to completely wrap my brain around the new Nels Cline LP (it’s fairly “spacey” and “out”) but digging it all the same.

In an era where music is essentially free, and jazz has been out of the popular mainstream for decades, I think Don Was has done a great job of honoring the label’s legacy in the form of the various reissue campaigns, while still allowing new artists to create and push the music in new directions.

2. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I listed to this on Spotify today while I did some yard work preparing for winter and really digging it. You're right a few track are a little out there but overall very good. I had not listed to him before, great guitarist. If you picked up the vinyl what's the pressing like? Worth exploring any of his other albums?

Roots and herbs came during the week and listed to side 1. Fantastic album Lee and Wayne were great together. Great pressing and very well done cover.

3. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Hopefully the reeditions of these records - issued in 50 years - are without any wow and flutter...

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  4. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Wtf!

5. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

6. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

I can rest comfortably knowing there will be people complaining about them if they do.

Aeryn Sun and danasgoodstuff like this.
  7. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

No issues with my pressing of the latest Nels Cline. Flat and quiet. I have his prior release, Nels Cline 4- Currents, Constellations, which I never could quite connect with. He is so talented and I love his work with Wilco, so I figured I would give this new one a shot.

Ken.e. likes this.
  8. LISTEN2JAZZ

LISTEN2JAZZ Active Member

The Ron Miles album sounds amazing. One of the best engineered records I've picked up this year. If the Bill Frisell record sounds similarly good I'll have to grab that too.

DeRosa and timzigs like this.
  9. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

What recent (20 years or so) Blue Note albums with no hip hop influence would you folks recommend?

10. LISTEN2JAZZ

LISTEN2JAZZ Active Member

Pretty much every musician under ~50 has been influenced by hip hop, so that criteria would rule out the majority of their new releases. What about Smoke Sessions Records?

11. J Borland

J Borland Forum Resident

It does, actually. I have both and need to spin the Ron Miles record a few more times.

12. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Have you heard Nduduzo Makhathini‘s
    Modes Of Communication: Letters From The Underworlds? It was released earlier this year and is one of my favourite albums of 2020.

13. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

From recent years on Blue Note check Charles Lloyd's and Wayne Shorter's albums.

Ken.e. likes this.
  14. Jeff Brocklebank

Jeff Brocklebank Forum Resident

Wilkins is great. I also really enjoyed Brandee Younger guesting on a bunch of it. Great record.

jewelsnbinoculars likes this.
  15. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Just picked up a copy of Bobby Hutcherson Oblique, which I was very much looking forward to finally having on vinyl, to find a small nasty scratch that made around 30 clicks starting on the last song. Thanks RTI.

16. Jeff Brocklebank

Jeff Brocklebank Forum Resident

These two albums are both fantastic. The Frisell Is my favourite of his in some time, and I like everything he does.

magnet likes this.
  17. Levi's Tubs

Yeah, fair enough. Though hip hop itself was so heavily influenced by funk and soul, so if we roundabout get hip hop influenced jazz that just reverts to funk, I'm cool with that. I should have said I don't want overt hip hop IN my jazz music. I don't really have anything against hip hop, it's just not my thing and I hear it enough elsewhere in music that I'd rather have it separate from the jazz records I buy.

18. mkortjohn

mkortjohn Forum Resident

Have you heard Stefan Harris - Black Action Figure? Recorded in 99. Lots of traditional bop influence but his compositions are quite innovative.

TheIncredibleHoke, erich6 and gr8trak like this.
  19. Levi's Tubs

I have not. I just Youtubed it and I really like the feel. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

mkortjohn likes this.
  20. gr8trak

gr8trak Forum Resident

Stefan Harris, Greg Osby and Jason Moran. All worth seeking out. Not sure how much of their early Blue Note work is available on vinyl though.

erich6 and Instant Dharma like this.
  21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

My copy had noise during the quiet bass solo on side one. My replacement copy is perfect though.

AaronW likes this.
  22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Probably none. I would love to see some of Osbys earlier BN works get some vinyl love. Further Ado, Art Forum and New Directions would be outstanding in the TP series.

gr8trak likes this.
  23. Hicks

Hicks Forum Resident

Medeski, Martin and Wood, some of their stuff is more traditional/acoustic, but I really like their electric stuff that does have some hip hop/funk influences. End of the World Party is a great example of the latter style.

24. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Andrew Hill's Time Lines, from his third stint on BN (2005) is lovely and I don't hear any hip hop influence, but then Andrew was older and quite strong in his own conception. Time Lines - Wikipedia

Eric_B likes this.
  25. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

I would think with that new front end that you would be in full on "I'm all ears mode"! :cheers:

scotti likes this.