'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

I did order the Ron Miles LP based on the positive comments on this forum. It should arrive in the next day or two. Looking forward to giving it a spin.

BendBound and MikeJedi like this.
  2. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I'm thinking we'll see a full official list of TPs for 2021 soon. One title I'd like to see for 2021 or 2022 is Bobby Hutcherson's Head On, taken out to 2 LPs to include all the bonus material from the 2008 CD. Might take some reshuffling of the running order to make it fit comfortably, but it's an incredibly strong set of sessions featuring mid to large ensembles with lots of interesting and very dense textures as well as stellar solos.

3. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Here's one of the bonus tracks from the CD of Head On that's never been on vinyl.

Aeryn Sun and MisterBritt like this.
  4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Enjoy! Some great choices and some fun records...I need to give Poppin' a spin this afternoon, been a while, and that line up just screams with awesomeness!

MikeJedi likes this.
  5. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

SPOILER ALERT this suggestion is CD not Vinyl ....

If it helps for good Sinatra..i spent a good while looking over suggestions and finding what i could from those who have trod the road before and ended up with

Frank Sinatra ‎– The Complete Reprise Studio Recordings

Frank Sinatra ‎– The Columbia Years 1943-1952: The Complete Recordings

Frank Sinatra ‎– The Capitol Years

all cd box sets that by all accounts are the "best" sounding that one can get ..i waited till i saw them on discogs or the bay for a price i was prepared to pay and in the right condition ...they haven't disappointed ...BUT i do know they aren't vinyl and first pressings i've seen were beyond my budget

Please take my suggestion to look at cds in the spirit its intended as i found it was my only affordable way to scratch the completist and quality itch i had and 'settling for' digital has at least solved that part of things for me ..

Bob F likes this.
  6. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

It's great that you have a dealer who's looking out for you but I'm with Stunsworth on this. Someone else who wants it just as much might be lining up at that store hoping to get a copy. This isn't as poor form though as those Discogs stores that put it up online first thing on RSD, or earlier, at 200% over cost!

7. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

I realize that it won’t be long before an official TP 2021 announcement, but what do we know is confirmed so far? Passing Ships, Latin Bit...what else? I’ve lost track...

8. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

2021 releases thus far:

Dexter Gordon, One Flight Up

Joe Pass, For Django

Sonny Clark, My Conception

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers, The Witch Doctor

Curtis Amy & Dupree Bolton, Katanga!

Wayne Shorter, The All Seeing Eye

McCoy Tyner, Expansions

9. ryu

ryu Forum Resident

And Andrew Hill - Passing Ships

Kimiimacman and Crazysteve like this.
  10. ryu

ryu Forum Resident

According to Scotti The Latin Bit should also be released in 2021 in lieu of Oleo.

scotti and Crazysteve like this.
  11. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

More McLean, Hutcherson, and a Tony Williams release, please...and throw in Sonic Boom to even things out a bit. A little surprised that Blue Mitchell has been shut out so far.

Mark Wieman, mpayan, ryu and 2 others like this.
  12. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

I know everyone keeps asking for more Hutcherson, but theyve already done 2 titles so im assuming theyll be waiting a bit to do a 3rd and give some other deserving albums/artists a chance

13. Ron Jones

Ron Jones Happiness is a Warm Gun

I’d take some Mal Waldron too

14. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

But if you divide the Hutcherson’s by TP years, that equals 1, so we’d be right on course with another one for 2021 :)

However, in line with your thinking, it would be really cool if Joe could pull together a Herbie Nichols comp similar to The Feelin’s Good from MMJ. The man deserves to be heard!

Aeryn Sun, Tlay, Eric_B and 2 others like this.
  15. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

Paul Chambers Bass on Top also announced for 2021 (January?)

16. TRS9082

TRS9082 Forum Resident

Blue Note has announced these for January 29th, 2021 release. I think at least a couple were supposed to be Dec 2020 releases though:
    • Paul Chambers – Bass On Top (Blue Note, 1957)
    • Tina Brooks – The Waiting Game (Blue Note, 1961)
    • Lee Morgan – The Rajah (Blue Note, 1966)
    • John Scofield & Pat Metheny – I Can See Your House From Here (Blue Note, 1993)
    As a side note, it appears all four are available in Targets 3 for 2 sale right now which brings the cost to under 20 a piece (unless you include the two disc Scofield/Metheny).

MisterBritt likes this.
  17. TRS9082

TRS9082 Forum Resident

The 2020 release schedule was announced on December 10th, 2019 so hopefully we are close to getting the full list.

18. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

All the January releases were originally supposed to be Nov and Dec 2020 releases. They were announced last year with the other 2020 releases

TRS9082 likes this.
  19. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Twinsfan007 and AaronW like this.
  20. poorbeek

poorbeek Member

21. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

Shipping cost to Greece 60 euros for 5 records !!! No thanks blue note uk ...

22. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I used to do this, but the research shows that confirmed surface transmissions of the coronavirus is near zilch. With so many millions of cases which have now occurred, this finding is meaningful. Doesn't mean it can't happen, of course, but it means that I'm done wiping things down/waiting things out and just washing hands. And I live in NYC, so I'm touching all kinds of surfaces with other people's vapors on them, all the time. Follow the science.

23. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

As long as you dont lick or chew your new records you will be fine :) I always wash my hands before and even during the handling of the records anyway because I hate that nasty residue you will get on your hands when you browse around at those used vinyl bins at thrift and records stores :)

24. NettleBed

Such restraint wasn't observed in the case of Stanley Turrentine, so I don't think it's too much to ask for a third by a jazz figure of significantly greater importance.

miq2son and timzigs like this.
  25. NettleBed

My favorite jazz/jazzy Nels Cline albums (or albums with others as leaders on which he plays a significant role). And I haven't heard every album in this universe, so there's that.

Himself:

Angelica (1988)
    Destroy All Nels Cline (2001)
    Instrumentals (2002)
    The Giant Pin (2004)
    New Monastery (2006)
    Coward (2009)
    Initiate (2010)
    Currents, Constellations (2018)

Others as leaders:

Gregg Bendian - Interstellar Space (1999)
    Gregg Bendian - Myriad (2000)
    Gregg Bendian - Requiem for Jack Kirby (2001)
    Alex Cline - The Constant Flame (2001)
    Jeff Gauthier - Mask (2002)
    John Zorn - Voices in the Wilderness (2003)
    Wadada Leo Smith - Spiritual Dimensions (2009)
    Medeski, Martin & Wood + Nels Cline - Woodstock Sessions Vol 2 (2014)

Ken.e. likes this.