'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

+1

ausgraeme likes this.
  2. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

Thems fighting words

3. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

A session I particularly like is Setting the Pace, on Prestige, with Dexter Gordon. Not sure if you can get it on vinyl although I’m sure Discogs probably has some copies. Jazz Profiles had a few good articles on Booker and I can get the link if anyone is interested.

ausgraeme, Stu02 and ryu like this.
  4. ryu

ryu Forum Resident

The first album by Booker Ervin I heard was "The Trance", from the same session that produced "Setting the Pace" without Dexter Gordon. It was ten years ago and it was a revelation. To this day it's still a favourite of mine.

mktracy, Stu02 and MisterBritt like this.
  5. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

"The In Between"

ryu likes this.
  6. ryu

ryu Forum Resident

Tone Poet evening:

Bobby Hutcherson - Oblique (1967). After weeks of deliberation due to already owning the Heavenly Sweetness and not wanting to double dip, I finally ordered it and it's just arrived. No regrets : it sounds great. And I've got two different covers now.

Jackie McLean - It's Time (1965). I already had a Japanese pressing but it's Jackie McLean... What can I say, I have a soft spot for his tone.

Sam Rivers-Contours (1967). Another killer session. It's been on heavy rotation on the turntable for the past 22 months.

Wayne Shorter-Etcetera (1965). Wayne Shorter recorded three sessions for Blue Note that year, The Soothsayer, Etcetera and The All-Seeing Eye, but only The All-Seeing Eye was released at the time. How satisfying it is to hear it 55 years later in all its splendor.

Interestingly, what's the common denominator for all these sessions?
    Herbie Hancock.

spindly, Aegir, Aeryn Sun and 19 others like this.
  7. ryu

ryu Forum Resident

You can't go wrong with Booker Ervin.

Aeryn Sun, ausgraeme and Vic Trola like this.
  8. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Nice evening of tunes! All real good ones. I’ve played the hell out of Oblique the past month. I love Sam Rivers and I haven’t played Contours in a bit. That’ll change today.

scotti, mcrichley and ryu like this.
  9. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

Anyone experience crackling noises on Byrd in Flight? Seems to happen when the trumpet is in a higher register only. It’s most noticeable on Little Boy Blue (A2).

Swann36 likes this.
  10. BitterFishinCrudeOilSea

BitterFishinCrudeOilSea Forum Resident

Yeah, think I noticed a little of this, too. Couldn’t tell if it might have just been a little spit in the performance, though.

11. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Rule of thumb: if you hear distortion on an RVG recording when the horns or drums get especially loud, it's not just you.

Dmann201, astro70, Szabo and 11 others like this.
  12. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

For those who are new Art Blakey fans, I talked to Scott Wenzel at Mosaic Records and he told me he has one copy left of the booklet of Mosaic’s Complete Recordings of Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers. The booklet discusses in detail each of the records. The cost is $25, including shipping.

This booklet is well worth it.

If interested, please contact [email protected].

13. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Scott advised me that shipping will vary so the cost is $20 plus shipping costs. Sorry for any confusion.

AnalogJ and trd like this.
  14. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

I finally got replacements for the 2 Stanley Turrentine lps I sent back both which were stupidly warped. First I checked Hustlin, and its fine. No warps, nice and flat unlike the last copy. Then I check Comin Your Way and... massive dishing on the side 1. Ughhh, annoyed. Then I turn it over and see on side 2 there's a 2nd label over the center which is massively bubbled. I remove that, put back to side 1 and... its flat! Hurrah.

Still waiting on refund for the ones I sent back, anyone know how quick bluenote store uk is at these things? These replacements came from Amazon.

Very happy. Will give a spin tomorrow.

scotti likes this.
  15. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

wait a label caused the record to dish?

GentleSenator and AnalogJ like this.
  16. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

weird...

I f peeled off a few extra labels before. There's no adhesive, they come off real easy. How did that cause warping?

17. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

Saying it was dished might have been the wrong word used, sorry for confusion but it certainly gave the tone arm a big lift into the air until the label was removed. Its flat now, thats all I care about

18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Is it now safe to come back and hang here? Is the love for Kenny G now subsided where it's safe to talk cool music again...ha! If you want to talk about a living horror, how the heck would have liked to have had to buy/promote his music and then tell the folks at Arista how awesome he was while you cringed in pain doin so. I had to take the bad with the good...

Well after one heck of an anniversary evening last night of awesome Jazz, good eats, and those tasty adult beverages with my wife, its time for me to leave her upstairs as she cooks and off to the land of music I go. Going to fire up a really cool song called "Vicksville" (you might want to check this one out) first before I do a "Chant" and some Poppin'...thought I would pull out a couple titles I have not given a spin in a while.

Ronnieb, Dmann201, Stu02 and 7 others like this.
  19. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

I've been wanting to thank you for your review/recommendation for the latest Tina Brooks'. In an attempt to cut back my purchases, I decided early on to let that one pass. But based on your review, I ended up buying it, and am glad I did. I like it a lot.

Crazysteve and scotti like this.
  20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Glad you are enjoying it. Not to mention many others gave some great feedback on that one as well here.

21. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

Ha, sounds a bit like this scene in Office Space:

[​IMG]
    ?

Except way way worse as it's Kenny G? :D

22. Szabo

Szabo Forum Resident

Speaking of Kenny G, Pat Metheny had some very interesting things to say about him that you may find entertaining...
    JazzOasis.com - Pat Metheny on Kenny G

vinylshadow likes this.
  23. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Regarding Kenny G - the Kenny G for me is Kenny Garrett.

No Blue Note, but he's fantastic, hope many of you have heard his albums.

24. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

25. RyeB

RyeB Forum Resident

Based off of the recent Kenny "The King of Soprano Sax" talk I thought thid would be an interesting watch. Robert Glasper on Kenny G- starts at 1:38.