'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Tommy's Jazz is having big sales on Steeplechase CDs and LPs. I've ordered a bunch from the CD sale. The vinyl sale might be over, but you could still ask...his e-mail is [email protected] If you like bari sax, be sure to check out Ronnie Cuber and Gary Smulyan's recordings.

Stu02 likes this.
  2. LongHairedJazz

LongHairedJazz Forum Resident

Who are some of your favorite channels? Eat Sleep Vinyl is brilliant! Teddy has taught me so much and his production quality is ACE: https://www.youtube.com/c/eatsleepvinyl?app=desktop

Dai likes this.
  3. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

If you’re into bari, you have to find Nick Brignola’s Burn Brigade and Baritone Madness. These guys burn down the house! There are plenty of copies on Discogs. Beehive was a great but short lived label. Mosaic put out a set of the Beehive label several years ago, one of the best things they’ve ever done. Highly recommended!

4. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

great box set

Aeryn Sun and Bradd like this.
  5. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Mosaic at its best.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  6. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Besides 45 RPM Audiophile, I like Mazzy’s channel. I also enjoy Chris Propfe’s channel. He has a lot of music that I’m not familiar with.

ultron9 likes this.
  7. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Blue Mitchell seems to be getting shut out with these series. Perhaps he isn't considered quite as accomplished or popular as Morgan, Byrd, or Hubbard? I would love to see Bring It Home, Down With It!, or better yet, release Step Lightly from Blue Note Review.

ultron9, Don P., mktracy and 4 others like this.
  8. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

And Tina Brooks has 2 titles in the series. Definitely feels like we’ll see a Blue Mitchell title at some point.

9. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

Great choices! I love Blue Mitchell too, and would love to see some of his mid-60s BN titles reissued. He hasn’t been very well served by reissue programs so far.

10. cloneofkane

cloneofkane Forum Resident

Thanks for these -- subscribed.

11. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Bass solos are like scat singing. Many singers think they can do it but only a select few can do it really well.

ultron9 likes this.
  12. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Be careful what you wish for...

Swann36, dastinger, Don P. and 15 others like this.
  13. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

:goodie::wiggle::pineapple:

scotti likes this.
  14. Pimjazz0

Pimjazz0 Forum Resident

Of course there were already two Hutcherson's in the Tone Poet. But there's still one left that would make a very logical decision.
    [​IMG]

It's a hell of a record and unfortunately pretty rare these days. Still need myself to find a copy but even the CD conaissuer version is pretty hard to find :(

15. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

This was already mastered by Kevin Gray as part of the Blue Note Review, vol. 2. As far as I know, it’s still available but will set you back $200. But the sound on Patterns is exquisite, and with the other records you get, including Blakey’s Africaine, it’s worth it, IMO. But it still would be nice if they could drop these records (including Mitchell’s Step Lightly) here as single releases.

Bryce, ultron9, mktracy and 1 other person like this.
  16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Really good title. We are at least getting Stick Up! in the next round of releases, so only time will tell on "Patterns" but I agree it's a great choice. I have a bunch of those Connoisseur CD's and they really sound good. Much better then when they redid the BN catalog on standard CD's.

17. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

One Flight Up and Passing Ships release pushed to May.

ultron9 and scotti like this.
  18. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

You bloody tease!

19. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

I'm going with Boss Horn on that one!

20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Yep, so that's why they have been holding off putting out the complete list as we all know. Looks like around three months delay, what a mess. Just hope all the folks are safe, that's most important.

Swann36, ultron9, dastinger and 8 others like this.
  21. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

As long as everyone is doing ok is what matters the most! I'm taking your hint above as an indication that the list is coming very soon and that's the hope that will help me sleep at night! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Swann36 and ultron9 like this.
  22. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

Where did you see that as the BN website still shows One Flight Up as a Feb release?

Never mind, I see that's on Amazon.com. Perhaps they're just more proactive at updating vs. Amazon.ca or the BN site which both still list Feb release dates.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    ultron9 likes this.
  23. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

A three month delay is definitely a bit sad, but expected in these times, and in my personal case probably a healthy thing overall. :D
    Btw @dastinger my NHSNHS has already been delivered, ordered from France to UK late on Friday! Thanks again for the alert, looking forward to spinning it in a few :edthumbs:

dastinger likes this.
  24. Szabo

Szabo Forum Resident

I know @scotti has already mentioned this one several times in the thread, but for NHOP fans out there, he sounds spectacular on the upcoming Dexter Gordon release, One Flight Up. I’ve only heard this on Apple Music, but based on that version the upcoming Tone Poet should really be spectacular! It is not RVG and seems to have been really well recorded.

ultron9, Don P., Mr. November and 2 others like this.
  25. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

i had never heard of this series until now (only started jazz vinyl buying in the past year or so). But looking at it, Vol 2 is actually pretty interesting where as vol 1 isnt, glad its sold out. I assume since Harley had a hand in it, we wont be seeing Africaine or Patterns anytime soon outside of the box.

do you have vol 2? That one almost seems worth the $200 compared to box 1..