'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

really paints the picture

2. Jeffrey Weiss

Jeffrey Weiss Forum Resident

They are not as thick but they are actually “clearer” than the VSS and they mate up perfectly. Worth a try as they are really nice for just a generic album too.

captouch likes this.
  3. Anselmo

Anselmo Forum Resident

A photo came randomly, I was trashing it .... but it made my sensations well!

GentleSenator likes this.
  4. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Quick question...Is anyone else experiencing any tears in the center of the gatefold covers? It typically happens when you first open it up. Two recent copies have had them recently (Rajah and Black Coffee) 2" and 1" tear respectively. I don't consider this as bad bent corners or seam splits but it's a little bothersome. I'm not here to complain, there are much bigger issues in the world.

I used some PVA glue to try and repair it, I think I had to do this for 1-2 MMJ albums in the past out of 75+ titles.

It's only cosmetic at this point but part of me wants to return for a better jacket to Amazon. Part of me thinks it's wasteful. If it was a brick & mortal or even Acoustic Sounds, I wouldn't return it. I'm also thinking of maybe adding white out or some type of white craft paint to maybe hide the damage even better.

The sound, music and presentation on these are pretty damn amazing!

Opinions?

5. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

If it bothers you enough to try and repair it then I'd say send it back.
    Personally I've had a couple of these gatefolds have a tear in the centre crease, it doesn't bother me enough to return, unless it was huge obviously.

mikemoon likes this.
  6. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

You’re supposed to spin the record, not the jacket :D

Joti Cover, Mikylor, Anselmo and 2 others like this.
  7. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Slide the record out an inch or two before you open the gatefold.

Swann36 likes this.
  8. New vinyl collector. I see Bass on Top and Byrd in Flight on Amazon.ca for $36. Fingers are hovering over the Buy it Now link. I have 2 Tone Poets I love (Kicker and Tender Moments). Convince me I need these ...

9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I can heartily recommend the Byrd. But you can go listen for yourself. No one can decide for you.

Korato69 likes this.
  10. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

The Rajah just played 1st listen arrived yesterday and its :edthumbs::edthumbs: ...

thanks to who posted about this album without you i'd never of heard this super music :targettiphat:

Bass on Top on the go now side 1 completed and all good so far on track 1 side 2 ...

11. Swann36

You need them if you like the music on them

... its all new to me so i listen on utube or spotify first ..ignoring the quality but rather do i like the music if yes then i press .... the button and order or add to my list to buy when able to pre-order it has served me well i'm up to 22 TPs so far ...since the start ..

@bliss44

TO ADD ... don't pay over RRP for them this is NOT a limited series they will and are being repressed ... just get in the habit of looking at the released list ... and listen ahead to decide then grab them on pre-order or know what the RRP is for where you are so know if its priced right / fairly ... i've paid a bit over RRP but knew that paying an Extra £4 (incl shipping) in my case was worth it to me rather than wait months for the repress for 1 title ... others i've simply waited and been happy to do so and for a couple of titles i'm still waiting happily 5months on ..

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  12. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

If you have to be convinced, do you really need them? I doubt either of these will be unavailable anytime soon.

13. issue is price, as they tend to go above 40 or 50 in Canada and stay there.

and I guess need is relative. Who needs any records?

Musically, this stuff is in my wheelhouse. I’m going to go skiing and think on it while listening to some Fall 77 Dead - how’s that for off topic!

14. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

I'll go against the grain and say think about stacking up on the Blue Note 80th and Classic Series titles first. I'm not saying don't buy the Tone Poets, just get your collection rolling with those titles, then mix in some Tone Poets.

Bryce and BlackCircleVinyl like this.
  15. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

36 CAD, that's like £20.. yeah I'd get them both for that price, but definitely Byrd (note though, we are used to higher prices than yours on this side of the pond ;) ). Bass on Top is great too, but depending on your taste and how open you are to the idea of, well, the bass being on top, it may not be for you. It's not the most accessible session.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    Swann36 likes this.
  16. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I have had that with most TP releases. But it usually happens 5 minutes into the record. I’m listening with the album open on my lap and I get all emotional and before you know it tears fall and land in the center of the gatefold....
    Not sure there’s much you can do about it

mpayan, timzigs, metalrules and 6 others like this.
  17. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

Many a Black Fire TP covers will have suffered from this.. :hide:

mpayan, Stu02 and trd like this.
  18. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Just got my copy of Bass On Top. Unfortunately the disk has several visual defects and scuffs... dead flat though so hopefully they aren’t audible.

19. Swann36

All i can say is that i enjoyed the heck out of Bass on Top .. and @Petter Premberg you are so right at 36 CAD or £20 i'd not hesitate on a TP ..

20. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Regarding the Stoughton gatefold "problems" - a recent new annoyance that started this year is that the gatefolds are either not folded exactly from the center or sometimes they are folded correctly but one of the gatefold sides is made a lot wider than the other, so you can almost see the edges of the inside photos even when the gatefold is closed. I have some MMJ-s where the spine is not exactly in the center but at least on those there is no overlap on the edges. First world problem, I know, but I cant be the only one who has noticed this unfortunate quality control decrease in this otherwise fantastic jacket.

21. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Well, this is the first time I’m sending back an RTI pressing, ever. My side 2 is filled with surface noise. And it’s not the foot tapping like was mentioned. I also got some weird distortion in the right channel on some of these tracks. Is it just me or do other people hear it too? It seems that sometimes when Paul is bowing, either the mic overloads or my system can’t track it. I’m also getting some kind of hissing on side 2 for most of Dear Old Stockholm. It seems to not be tape hiss, more like some kind of issue with this record? Very odd. Sounds kind of like when you play a hazy record and it sort of hisses/growls.

draab likes this.
  22. fndrblndr

fndrblndr Forum Resident

Since we are talking about packaging issues, I feel like with every one of my TPs the inner sleeve is folded over itself at multiple spots.

Do machines jam the record and inner into the jacket or is this human error?

astro70 likes this.
  23. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Have you seen video of how they assemble these things? It’s not mechanized but it might as well be. It probably only takes 30 seconds to have the slick glued on, the jacket folded over, and then the record put in. I would not be surprised if it’s just people on the line shoving the records in. Not a huge deal to me though.

fndrblndr likes this.
  24. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I recently got this on my copy of Cliff Brown/Max Roach. I was disappointed but decided to just keep it. Not worth the risk to possibly end up with a worse LP when I exchange it and I don’t want to have to order a second copy just for a replacement jacket.

mikemoon likes this.
  25. fndrblndr

fndrblndr Forum Resident

I have not seen the video. Link?

At the end of the day a folded/creased inner is bottom of the list as far as issues go.