'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

More like $12k for what I'm talking about. The frame alone is $6k. My most expensive hifi component (retail price) is $16k (speakers).

Swann36 and Pushpaw like this.
  2. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Wow, that’s big bucks. Should be an awesome ride!

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  3. Jeffrey Weiss

Jeffrey Weiss Forum Resident

Do you have an MMJ 33 Hub Tones? Only one I need.

4. Josquin des Prez

Yeah, I do have it, but to be honest, it's going to be a while before I start selling the MMJs. I might start first on my AP and MoFi collections before I can wrap my head around selling the MMJs. It may (probably will) happen eventually, just not yet.

There's no one in my family who can execute my estate in terms of the record collection, so I'm starting to realize I should cash it in for things I can enjoy during my retirement (like nice bicycles). I have to get on board with it emotionally first. I've never sold records once I aquired them, but now that I'm older and looking at retirement maybe I need to embrace a new reality.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Mad Dog, mktracy, trd and 5 others like this.
  5. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Ive been mulling your thinking about selling your collection despite the obvious regular pleasure you get from it. I dunno, i know a number of friends who where into serious biking, some road tripping long distence , some mountain biking in the US in epic desert environments... hard core expensive hobby.
    None over 65 still do it, but all still listen to music passionately.., 65 to 90 is a quarter century of post 65 music listening when your health may control you more then you like.
    Just sayin .,,

AllenR, Swann36, mktracy and 3 others like this.
  6. Parting with records is a tough decision to make. I often think about selling something but then get cold feet as I realize the cost to replace them . But if you do decide to sell any of your collection, I certainly hope you do so on the forum! Those series will sell super fast in the classifieds I’m sure and many members (including myself ;)) have WTB posts up for many of those records if you go that route.

mktracy, trd and Josquin des Prez like this.
  7. Josquin des Prez

I plan to ride a long as possible. In the last eight years I've riden some 46k miles and I'm still going strong. Road, single-speed, gravel, singletrack. It's all good. I did a hard 33 mile gravel/singletrack ride today. I have plenty of friends over 65 who still do it, including one near 70 who rode with us today. Life could throw me a curve and stop my riding, but my attitude is if you plan for dying, then you've already started dying. Or put another way, you don't stop playing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop playing. :)

If I start selling off my collection I'll never be without music. I may even sell off my 7-box Naim system at some point for a nice 2-box Boulder streaming system.

AllenR, Aeryn Sun, RyeB and 4 others like this.
  8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Yeah, the system I heard the MoFi on was top notch at a high end audio salon. We both thought it sounded off.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  9. Josquin des Prez

I hear you. Parting with records is hard, but I'm starting to think more realistically long term. I have some 4000 LPs and can't possibly listen to them all anymore. I'll always have great music to enjoy no matter what. Whatever I don't sell will likely end up packed in boxes off to Goodwill when I kick the bucket.

The planning for building a very expensive dream bike got me started, but I think it's a good mental excersize to think through and work out a plan.

I've been around these forums long enough. Once I start selling things, I'll put them up here first. I'd rather my forum friends get first dibs.

AnalogJ and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  10. Josquin des Prez

11. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Thanks for this. Just this morning, I picked up the Haden/Methany's Beyond the Missouri Sky (#38 on the list). And eagerly awaiting the TP For Django (#48). I have no Wes Montgomery in my collection...might need to change that.

AnalogJ and mktracy like this.
  12. Josquin des Prez

OMG. The two live albums mentioned are anazing. Smokin' At The Half Note (I have AP Verve 45) and Full House (I have the AP Riverside 45).

miq2son, danasgoodstuff and mktracy like this.
  13. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

The irony being that bicycle's gonna make you live to 90+, which would allow enough time to listen to all those LPs.

AllenR, Geee!, Aeryn Sun and 8 others like this.
  14. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Sell your car, ride your new bike and keep your records. ;)

conjotter, mktracy, LaBowe and 3 others like this.
  15. Josquin des Prez

If they take my car to Goodwill when I die I don't care. If they take my records there that's sad.

I need the car anyway, to haul my bike to CO for riding in the Rockies.

Aeryn Sun, Dai and Arknine like this.
  16. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

I did 57km of hard riding on the road yesterday but you're making me want to head out again right now.

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Taking a break here but then checked in and I am saddened to read about the thought of selling one's records. What on earth is happening to cause such thoughts? I get very uneasy when I have no records on the way to get excited about. And I thought I was hanging on a music forum...ha!

And all you folks getting that great exercise on your bikes, a tip of the hat to that. I wish I was able to still ride a bike. But hey, I played about 100 games of pool yesterday, so I bet I walked a good 5 miles around the table as I played.

Celebrating National "Vibes" Day today with some awesome Bobby Hutcherson on tap...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Dmann201, wellers73, Spazros and 6 others like this.
  18. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Speaking from personal experience, sometime our interests change and then change back again so please don’t make any decisions you might regret later.

19. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

I understand why you would prioritize them this way.

Was thinking, you could get one of those bike stands that turn your road bike into a stationary bike and listen to vinyl while you rack up the miles. Just get an auto changer and load them up!

20. Josquin des Prez

It's all good. Cycling outdoors is equally important in my life and I do it year round. I'll never sell off the entire collection. I'll cherry pick favorite records to keep. For example, out of the 25-album AP Verve 45 collection there are 5-6 titles I listen to. The others probably wouldn't be missed. Of the 50 AP Prestige mono/stereo there are a bunch (half at least) I could cull and not miss. Out of my MMJ 33/45 catalog there are a still couple dozen I would hang onto.

Even if I proceed it won't happen this year. I'll see where I am with things when I'm ready to order my new bike at the end of the year.

trd, mktracy and Dai like this.
  21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Of course just having a bit of fun. No doubt cycling outdoors is great fun and exercise. When I retired 7 years ago I vowed to stay in shape and not sit around and watch TV all day (which I never do anyway). Listening to 45 RPM vinyl is where I get much of my exercise. Since I'm unable to do much, my doctor told me that listening to 45 RPM vinyl instead of 33's would be a good way to stay fit. Most excellent advice I say...

Crazy how a lot of us have so many records that we get that end up not getting played after some initial spins, but we need to know they are in our collection and hoping that many more titles arrive to keep them company. I bought over 30 of the BN 80th's and never listen to them anymore, and I'm spending a good 6 and usually more hours a day in the land of music. With that said, its stereo time, hooray!

Swann36, mktracy and Aegir like this.
  22. MilesTrane

MilesTrane Forum Resident

I understand the urge to sell. For me it is a discipline. I sell two items (sometimes 3) each week. I do it because I rarely listen to the items I’m selling and because I’m interested in buying all analogue jazz reissues. So I’m not buying a bike but I am focusing my interest.
    Also, I’d like to end with nothing. By that I mean I don’t want my kids to have a giant collection to deal with when I pass away. (There will be music in heaven better than I could have ever imagined. I truly believe that.)

23. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I think ‘collecting fever’ combined with ‘fear of missing out’ syndrome means records you dont listen to. Especially if buying everything Blue Note , a jazz label not known for adventurous releases. A lot of Blue Note is similar sounding hard bop .
    I try to keep my vinyl collection under 1000 lps and its about 60% jazz , 40% other genres, so 600 jazz lps is a decent amount but not insane. Of which maybe half are hard bop and bop? Maybe..
    Having a wide range of jazz sub genres results in more records getting played regularly, at least this recipe works for me.

24. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

mktracy, Dmann201, Matadore and 8 others like this.
  25. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Always put off by the cheesy cover.
    Need to seriously re-asses, because that sounds fun!
    Side note - chuckled when I saw "Besame Mucho" on the tape box.
    Used to play that in my weird gypsy band called "Lark", and it also got a few outings in my short lived career as entertainer in retirement villages.

Dmann201 likes this.