'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

mktracy, vinylshadow and uzn007 like this.
  2. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

3. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

4. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

Yes, Rick's understanding is excellent, and his ability to hear what Pat is doing and then play them, all the time giving an excellent breakdown is quite something, a real talent!

AnalogJ likes this.
  5. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

Lucky you! I still have about a month before the end of term here at Mason.

6. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

7. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

btf1980 likes this.
  8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

9. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

The Japanese Riverside mono is the one I got, from 1984 and the sound is fantastic! But heard the other versions are great as well. I saw an original that was listed as having a few scratches that you could feel sell on ebay recently for well over $300...

And be sure to let us know what you think after you get your copy...

Best to go back on topic, getting ready to fire up "Oblique" (wife's request) she has turned in to quite the Bobby Hutcherson fan and I get to reap the sweet rewards.

mktracy and vinylshadow like this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

May and June are going to be killer months for Tone Poets. Witch Doctor, Katanga, Passing Ships...plus the Dexter Gordon title, oh yeah :cool:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  12. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

13. vinylshadow

I wound up buying the 1984 Japan Riverside Mono

Kimiimacman, mktracy and scotti like this.
  14. getitshorty

getitshorty Forum Resident

The Victors from the 80's are very solid and plentiful...nice score

vinylshadow likes this.
  15. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Just got this in, what a fantastic session. I’m really loving the Tone Poet series.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Nice, that's the one I have. This record is worth having for "Caravan" alone. Fired that song up last night after I listened to the MMJ 45 of "Royal Flush", what a killer that one is! And this afternoon I'll be "Back At The Chicken Shack" cooking my famous smoked wings. Another great day of music, food, and drink awaits. And to quote the legendary Garrett Morris, here's hoping that "baseball be berry berry good to me" today.

And every time I see your avatar I get in the mood for some Jeff Beck, no idea why. Pulled out my original of my favorite album by him "Rough and Ready" for a good listen later today. Very Jazz laced and one of the rare times he wrote most of the songs. Outstanding record!

And that above post just got me to pull out "The Rajah" for a spin later as well. Cedar Walton playing some tasty grooves on this one.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    GreatTone, Matadore, mktracy and 3 others like this.
  17. vinylshadow

I'd love to get that Royal Flush you have but pricey. What a great photo on the cover!...Looked for the 1979 King Japan on Discogs but no esta aqui.

Let's Go Mets!

mktracy likes this.
  18. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

I don't have a vinyl version (I will be on the lookout for one), but I do have the Alan Yoshida mastered XRCD version and it sounds fantastic. :)

scotti likes this.
  19. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I grabbed the 70s re-issue of Royal Flush for 25 bucks maybe six months ago. Sounds great and the music is awesome.

vinylshadow and scotti like this.
  20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Its pretty amazing how good Japanese mastered CDs can sound. I bet that is a good one. I'm fortunate to own many of them and one of the reasons I still listen to CDs. I have 4 King Crimson box sets and honestly prefer them over my original vinyl copies.

Bobby Buckshot and neubian like this.
  21. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

Paul Chamber's bass jumps out at you and goes deep! The piano and drums are so clear.
    With piano trio albums the vinyl "has" to be noise free for me since pops and clicks do not get covered up by loud horns, etc.

I only have a handful of CDs (got rid of mostly all of them back when I had a big move... mistake), but I kept my XRCDs (including the Quiet Kenny) and they are very good.

22. vinylshadow

Good to know!

There is a 1990 Japan Toshiba Blue Note LP Last Reissue that I was eyeballing.

Crazysteve likes this.
  23. Wolverine 05

Wolverine 05 Forum Resident

Late to the party on Jazz as a genre and missed the earlier Tone Poet releases but am slowly getting there. Have about 30 titles now and look forward to getting the complete series. Got lucky last night while at my local record store and they got the Duke Ellington title which has been on back order for awhile.

24. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Yeah, great record. The MMJ is fabulous but that King is no slouch either. Go O's!

p.analogowy, vinylshadow and scotti like this.
  25. vinylshadow

I wish the O's the best....Around 1985, I took a tour through the old O's stadium offices and inner sanctum with a higher up. So cool.

I checked Discogs and ESlay and no 1979 King unfortunately.

timzigs likes this.