'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Alright, all you clown haters all need some shock therapy. Great album and cover...

[​IMG]

Joti Cover, Geee!, miq2son and 21 others like this.
  2. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

yes, and VMP has a color variant run of 1000 too.

Aleksander86 likes this.
  3. Josquin des Prez

I don't think I really get the allure of colored vinyl. :shrug:

I have yet to get anything from VMP anyway. I'll be happy for the standard release.

happy2behere and Aura like this.
  4. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

I'm with you on that sentiment. Historically, black vinyl has always sounded quietest and colored pressings more noisy. I have noticed several limited ed. colored vinyl titles I purchased in the last 5 years sound pretty good, so maybe there have been improvements in the vinyl formulation.

trd likes this.
  5. Josquin des Prez

I have a few clear and white vinyl, and I think one that's red. The white and red seem no better or worse. The clear is ckarity vinyl, and supposed to be better.

Aura likes this.
  6. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

It is on Amazon.. at least it was last week. I 'burned myself' jumping on the VMP edition without researching a regular release. I missed out on the VMP Yusef Lateef Verve disc (not the OneStep) thinking a regular issue was coming. I didn't want to make that mistake on Guaraldi.

7. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

get it. sit really close to it while listening to the title track's spoken word passage. turn it up really loud. sleep tight!

Spazros and trd like this.
  8. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I wonder if they are using the same KG stampers from the AP 33. I have that one and the 45. I remember hearing those tapes were in pretty bad shape the last time he cut it. I think both of those issues sound great though.

9. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

This would make the most interesting dating profile pic...one would have to fight all the women away.

10. Josquin des Prez

AP did A Boy Named Charlie Brown? When? Must have been very early on, pre-QRP.

I have Charlie Brown Christmas and Jazz Impressions of Jazz Orpheus, both 45.

mikemoon likes this.
  11. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Is the spoken part of "The Clown" improvised? I assumed it was a written piece. I first heard the track as part of a "beat poetry" set, where most or all of the pieces were prepared, so I never considered otherwise. Plus, it's pretty coherent! :laugh: I don't have the album itself, yet (but streamed it recently when I saw it waa back in print, and plan to pick it up with a future order), so I don't have the liner notes, if it's mentioned there.

12. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Sorry, I got confused with The Christmas album. It's only CB album I know.

13. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

The cover to "The Clown" works so well on so many levels, it's a brilliant expose of what it means to be a black man in america, particularly then but certainly now as well. The American clown, treated like a clown, minstrel black jazz, a black man in white face (there's your Al Jolson!), scary behind the mask of enslavement, mulatto, and so forth. I for one like the cover and how it works, couldn't think of a more appropriate musician outside of Miles to use it, although waaay to controversial for Miles!

Biff Jones, uzn007, wellers73 and 9 others like this.
  14. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

not a happy smile there, look at those eyes, great cover!

15. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

But that one who did respond would presumably be a Mingus fan and therefore a keeper! Or I guess it could be someone with a clown fetish...

16. Josquin des Prez

Yes, it's improvised. Says so on the cover, the credits on the back and in the liner notes.

Fractured and Morbius like this.
  17. Josquin des Prez

A Boy Named Charlie Brown is classic Guaraldi Trio. I like it better than the Christmas album.

Greenmonster2420 and mikemoon like this.
  18. SharkSideoftheMoon

SharkSideoftheMoon Forum Resident

Now that it is available to stream, has anyone else been listening to Katanga! to see if they'll pick up the Tone Poet? I'm really digging this one! "Amyable" is hitting especially hard on this randomly cold April afternoon.

I had never even heard of this record before Blue Note announced it was on their 2021 schedule--now I may end up owning it. (And it comes out the same day as Witch Doctor, woohoo!)

19. Josquin des Prez

I've said above I think it's great and think it will be one of the gems of the 21/22 release cycle.

I've ordered the Art Blakey, but I'm on Art Blakey overload and don't really need this title. I don't listen to much of what I have.

20. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I got the Paul Chambers Bass on Top this weekend and agree - it's phenomenal!

Joti Cover, mktracy, Dartman and 4 others like this.
  21. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

Sorry, a continuation of the Clown detour:

Spinning my SC Clown now @scotti , I know you made up your mind already but for completeness: this is a very very good pressing.

I think sometimes mono can get a bit restricting in the case of medium-big ensembles, but here it's spot on; the music is really dynamic with big ranges between the softer and louder parts, so you don't feel like it's all in a box in the middle. And the band is so coherent, so you really get that "in your face" feeling on the crescendos. The bass sound is really floaty and beautiful. The narration is not a favourite thing of mine, but it does fit in on this one, both musically and thematically.

Now, the cover is indeed a bit rough. It's a really close-up photo and looks scarier at 12" than as a little avatar online. Might be a good thing you have that CD compilation. ;) As a matter a fact, my daughters both said they didn't like this cover, and they're kids (2/5 yo)! They do like the songs though; other than being excellent music that's very nicely presented on this pressing, the album has a kind of dance-y feeling that they tend to like :D

wellers73 and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha! So my good friends here have found a way to keep me off of my favorite thread, just keep talking about and showing pictures of "The Clown". Well its 4/20 and time for me to go celebrate the birthday of my best friend, Rango. He's only getting treats though...cool BD to have.

23. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Katanga! is one that should turn a lot of heads. “Native Land” is one of my favorite jazz tunes, ever.

Joti Cover, uzn007, mktracy and 2 others like this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Katanga rocks.

25. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I've been listening to "Katanga" for years, first as a Connoisseur CD release in 1998 and then again as part of Mosaic Records' Select box set from 2003. It is a very nice date.