'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

That’s one of the best Mosaic Select boxes they issued.

2. Aegir

Aegir Forum Resident

All this talk about Katanga made me finally take a listen - this is a great example of me foolishly judging a book (or album, in this case) by its cover, and title. I was expecting something very African, perhaps with chanting or exotic instruments. Loving the guitar!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  3. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

This latest batch arrived yesterday and I played PE this morning. I think it is probably the most accessible Mingus I've heard next to Ah Um, an excellent listen and I especially like the playing of Jackie Mclean and Mal Waldron as well as the other guys on this album. The pressing was perfect and overall this is a great sounding record.

Next up I have Tone Poem and Passing Ships on order from the Blue Note Store which should ship on or around May 8th.

[​IMG]

mktracy, Spazros, mpayan and 5 others like this.
  4. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

@Josquin des Prez Because of this man’s respected musical opinion on this record I am so excited for my first listen to this record tone poet style. I pre-ordered immediately because I do that for every tone poet release.

Joti Cover, mktracy and scotti like this.
  5. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Since this thread has derailed.. I've gotta ask this question. What type of jackets are on the Speaker's Corner releases? I don't have any. I'm contemplating the Mingus titles. Are they tip-ons? Or are they like the Blue Note 80 and Classic series which I think is called print direct to board? SC's website just mentions standard jacket as opposed to gatefold.

6. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Charles Tolliver Impact looks fantastic! I like those Pure Pleasure reissues.

Morbius likes this.
  7. Crazysteve

I’ve never had an issue with the speakers corner jacket.

scotti likes this.
  8. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

They aren't nice tip ons, but they aren't as cheap and flimsy as the BN80s or Classic series either. I wish they were a touch thicker, but they aren't bad and every speaker corners release I have is fantastic. They have a bunch of overlooked titles. I highly suggest checking out Shakti and John McLaughlins Natural Elements. That is one of the better releases I have bought recently and outside of the sound being amazing, the music is transcending.

9. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

I've got a few, most of them are standard covers (like BN80 etc), some gatefold (Aretha - Filmore West, Charles Lloyd - Forest Flower, those are also the best ones I think). But they are wrapped in tight plastic, unlike TPs in those loose bags, so you can't open them without removing the wrapper with the hype sticker. The sound is amazing though, can recommend The Clown (as just above in this thread) ;)

10. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Thanks for the responses about the SC jackets. It seems like you are paying for the high quality mastering and pressing and the fact that they are imports. I was just trying to get the biggest impact for my buck. But.. everybody says you don't play the cover.

11. Vibrolux_Reverb

The covers are adequate. They will hold up better than the BN80 covers.
    The pressings and mastering every so slightly inferior to Analogue Productions as a whole, although some are on par such as the Natural Elements release I mentioned early. I wouldn't sleep on Dr. Johns Gris Gris either fwiw.

12. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

They're glossy direct-to-board covers.

scotti likes this.
  13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I remember when Joe gave me the okay to announce that "Katanga" was coming long before the list came out and all of the response it got back then. Now it seems to be picking up steam as the 6/4 release nears. It will surely be one of the highlights for me and always liked this record, but this will be the first time on vinyl for me, and lets not forget The Witch Doctor on the same date, a mighty fine Art Blakey record. I have told him (not that he's listening) that they better have pressed on the heavy side of both the 5/7 and 6/4 titles, but of course they are well aware of what they are releasing here with these 4 titles.

And a final shoutout for "Drum Suite". The more I listen to the Impex mono version of this awesome record, the more it keeps hitting me harder and harder. If unfamiliar with it, the first side leans heavy on the percussion, where side 2 allows the other musicians to join in the fun as well. Excellent sound and packaging on this release.

And my two cents regarding Speakers Corners jackets. I have around 25 titles or more from them and their covers might not be Tone Poet, MMJ, or Acoustic Sound Series quality, but they are still good quality none the less and WAY better than the Blue Note 80th's are Classic series ones and lined inner sleeves, all though I have seen better inner sleeves, but they still do the job just fine.

edit - just went and checked out my cover of the SC version of Mingus At Antibes, and it's a mighty nice looking gatefold.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Joti Cover, mktracy, mackeyse and 4 others like this.
  14. Vibrolux_Reverb

The Tone Poets for the next couple months are imo the best of the series yet.

One Flight Up - Maybe Dexters best album alongside GO
    Passing Ships - my 2nd favorite Hill album just behind Point of Departure
    Katanga - A very fun and unique offering all around.
    Witch Doctor - A top tier Blakey album. I think it is one of his best works.

After these releases the series is still really good, but it doesn't really touch the quality of these titles for my personal taste aside from Expansions, Breaking Point, and Feelin the Spirit

Joti Cover, mktracy, mpayan and 7 others like this.
  15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Agree big time here, and don't think the Tone Poet team is not aware what they are doing releasing these back to back like this. I said this a while back, but this is about an awesome of a one-two punch as they could deliver. I also agree with your comments next to each title, but I would add that "One Flight Up" is my favorite from Dex. Of course "Go" is a classic as well.

May and June sure is bringing some awesome Jazz our way, and not just Tone Poets.

16. Crazysteve

I have a feeling in 2022 that these two come out on the same Friday. That would be a great weekend.
    [​IMG]
    got it and don’t got it
    [​IMG]

17. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

What are your thoughts on Pure Pleasure?

18. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I think they sound good, the pressings are high quality and like every other label the titles they feature are exclusive to them. I like their selection and I'm especially fond of the Strata East titles.

Spazros, ryu and Levi's Tubs like this.
  19. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

He is and I did!

Japan Victor 1984.

20. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Pure Pleasure reissues are all first rate. I have 30+ titles and they have all been great. Glass Bead Games is one of my favorite albums, and the other Stata-East titles from PP are well worth exploring. Then there’s the other great stuff from PP.

21. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I have probably 100 Speakers Corner reissues (jazz, classical and rock). The jackets are not tip-ons like the Tone Poets, etc, but they are better quality than average. I’ve never had an issue with any of them. I have a few box sets as well, and they are good quality too.

scotti and Levi's Tubs like this.
  22. trd

trd Forum Resident

thanks for the recommendation, the sacd I ordered last week just arrived!

PsychGuy and AnalogJ like this.
  23. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I wouldn't take away from your interpretation of Mingus' use of The Clown, but if I'm reading you correctly, you see in the cover image a black man in white face, right? I just pulled out my copy (listening to "Reincarnation of a Lovebird" now), and I see a white man on the cover. You can see his skin tone around the red makeup and nose, and on his eyelids. FWIW

24. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

All worthy reissues, but I feel very strongly that Our Man in Paris is the finest Dexter.

JorgeGvb, mktracy, Arknine and 2 others like this.
  25. I think Gettin’ Around would like a word with you both