'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

We wont see Montara I dont think. It was in one of the BN box setd. But Im always up for more Bobby Hutcherson.

Joti Cover and Barnyard Symphony like this.
  2. Szabo

Szabo Forum Resident

Yeah it seems like a bit of a stretch to me, but I’m not on the inside and just speculating. I don’t have a problem with more obscure releases being a part of the series. I just want it to contain the best available releases!

3. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Never heard of it but I’ll have to check it out!

4. Szabo

Szabo Forum Resident

Check him out on Instagram. I order everything through there.

5. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

Never below £50 I think :( though it should still be £50 on the BN site, Amazon's prices are always all over the place (though sometimes that works in your favour) :D

Swann36 likes this.
  6. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Clubhouse just in. Almost 50 days after order placement with amfr.

scotti likes this.
  7. Ronnieb

Ronnieb Forum Resident

To be exactly 2179 credits (according to Discogs)!
    Last month I bought his stellar live album Foursight-Stockholm from 2019 which is a audiophile masterpiece from In+Out Records. Absolute recommended!

Dignan2000, dastinger and RiRiIII like this.
  8. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

... and signed by Ron, too.

I got the files too, since they are 15 vs 10 tracks on the 2-lp set.

Ronnieb likes this.
  9. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

One more day to go for new Tone Poets (I hope). I told my wife I needed to take her to work tomorrow because I had a very special dinner planned when I picked her up later. I thought it would work, but she caught on very fast and said WTF records are you going to buy now. Was I that obvious I asked, she said she could tell I was up to something before I even asked. I'll walk to the store if I have to...

That UHQR KOB thread is something else, from so many saying why they won't buy it (why be on the thread then) and to see so many that never hang on these Jazz threads going after this because of what it is, the power and attraction these type of releases have is crazy. Of course my copy is preordered.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    wellers73, Bigdz68, Dubmart and 4 others like this.
  10. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Correction: 9 tracks on lp set.

Ronnieb likes this.
  11. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I totally understand what you mean regarding KoB. I have the 2010 KG and the 2013 RKS Mono. I'm more than happy with both, but I'm still debating whether I should go for it or not. On one hand, I already have it and I could be spending that money on another 2, 3 or 4 good reissues. On the other hand... It's KoB... I honestly have no idea.

JoFr and scotti like this.
  12. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I’m glad you’re doing well Scotty after your appointment and enjoy your dinner with your wonderful wife. I can’t wait for Tone Poets this week and I can’t wait for that Miles Davis to come out either. With their site continuing to shut down I ended up ordering three separate orders for me. Whoops

scotti likes this.
  13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Talking with Joe this morning as I told him my Cisco of One Flight Up will most likely sound better than his Tone Poet one. Joking aside, he said be ready for ours.

I do not check his instagram posts since I talk to him directly (I know I should though), but a while back @dastinger asked me about "Demon Dance" being a Tone Poet. I know it was mentioned, but it is indeed coming next year, so that's great news. He said sorry it took so long to get to, but he said there are so many records they want to do, well nothing to be sorry about, just keep them coming. And I know "Midnight Creeper" gets brought up and as I thought along with others, it will not be a Tone Poet but a BN Classic, no scheduled date yet. So unfortunately no gatefold.

I know Passing Ships is one he is quite proud to release and being that this was one of the first sessions recorded by RVG to multi-track tape, getting this as an AAA is quite special.

edit - I know many like myself want more Hutcherson records and there will be, just can't say what at this time.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  14. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I hope they find a way to recreate the gatefold on Midnight Creeper even if it is released in the Classics series.

scotti likes this.
  15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

"Midnight Creeper" was released with a gatefold originally so I'd assume a BN Classic release would copy that.

16. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

It’s sacrilegious to do Midnight Creeper without a gatefold.

Dignan2000 and scotti like this.
  17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks for that as I do not buy the BN Classics since I have most of them already. Did not know that series was doing gatefolds.

18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Likewise I haven't felt the need to buy any Classics and don't think any have had gatefolds, but would assume they'd replicate any sleeves that were, not sure how "Midnight Creeper" would work with half the sleeve missing.

I think there's even a Scorpio of it that managed the gatefold.

scotti likes this.
  19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I thought one of the attractions of that series besides the titles, was keeping the price point lower, so this could be interesting.

20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I think Universal have more than enough margin to cover the relatively small additional cost and not cheap out on the sleeve, at least any more than they already do, hence my mention of Scorpio who are about as cheap as you can get, surely Universal can match them. I'll also beat everyone else outside the US to it and point out they aren't at a very low price point elsewhere in the world.

Swann36 likes this.
  21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Have there been any titles released as gatefolds from the BN Classic series yet?

22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Like you I'm not buying Classics at least so far, but to the best of my knowledge there have been none, I guess most of the Blue Notes that were originally released with gatefold sleeves aren't titles that will be in the Classic series, I'm actually surprised "Midnight Creeper" is in that series, but I guess that's more because they didn't want to do it as a TP.

23. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

For BN75 they recreated the gatefold on Speak Like A Child and New York Is Now. I’d expect the same in the Classics series

Dubmart, superstar19 and scotti like this.
  24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I was a bit surprised but had a feeling that's how it would be released. I just went and looked at my original which I have not listened to in some time, and no doubt, they have to release this as a gatefold, it would be shameful if they did not.

I believe certain titles do get discussed as to who does what, so it might come down to "throw the dog a bone" at times. I mean that in a positive way.

Dubmart and wellers73 like this.
  25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

What were the jackets like?