'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Can you please post a link. The Henderson at amazon ca does not reference the tone poet series and has the Gill Evans lp text instead of the Henderson text.

2. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

You are correct in that these latest two (Henderson and Evans) do not reference "Tone Poet" in the title the way the earlier ones did but I am fairly certain that is what they are - the label (Blue Note) and the release date (April 26/19) matches and the odds of some other simultaneous release of these two titles on vinyl on the same date is pretty slim. Here are the links:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07NN3JCHG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07NN3C3HS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dmann201 and BrianD like this.
  3. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

Same here...:thumbsdow
    I'll try with another seller for the next batch.

4. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Contours arrived today. Very happy. Vinyl quality is great, and it sound excellent Jacket is really nice.

I still think this album has too much Freddie :)

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  5. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Yes and they both have the Evans track list LOL.
    Thanks for the confirmation I think youbare correct.

BrianD and Gez like this.
  6. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

It's rare that I want to keep listening to the same jazz album over and over again--but that's been my experience since I got Contours. The album isn't entirely new to me, as I owned the Connoisseur CD for many years now--but listening on well-mastered vinyl is a different experience. This is one of my favorite jazz reissues of the past few years.

Mugrug12, rxcory, RiRiIII and 3 others like this.
  7. Contours finally arrived today. Wife is sleeping so probably won’t be able to clean it tonight. May have to just give it a brush and a spin.

ssmith3046 and SoundDoctor like this.
  8. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I don't know if cleaning it is gonna help. Contours doesn't seem to have a lot of WAF judging by my spin tonight.

9. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

The most important time to clean a record is when it's new and unplayed. Contours deserves the best treatment. Be patient and clean it first. I would.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  10. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

Just looking at prices on these on Amazon.ca have been fluctuating a great deal. I paid 435 for the Etcetera and $29.95 for Contours, which is decent pricing. The Chick Corea at one point was $57 and now has dropped to $44. The next two releases, Henderson and Evans are starting out at around $40. The Cassandra Wilson is now $70, though it's a double album. Reviews have been great for these but as the price climbs they should because they now approaching or matching the prices that are paid for Mofi, Analogue Productions, Speakers Corner etc here in Canada.

nosliw, DeRosa and Gez like this.
  11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Looks like Chick Corea is OOS on Amazon U.S. now.

12. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I've noticed the pricing all over the place too. I finally got ETC for $35.67, and Now He Sings for $44.99, although both were lower at one point.
    My Contours pre-order is for $29.99, i'm glad i didn't cancel after they sent the delay notice, it's now saying delivery march 21-27 !

BrianD, Joti Cover and Gez like this.
  13. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

Me too - I'll also look to get the next batch in a different way, hoping there aren't any issues with this and Wayne Shorter.

14. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I'm still waiting for Etcetera from Amazon.fr. April 18-20 they say. Contours being delayed doesn't surprise me, they're probably the place where the price is the lowest.

15. aoxomoxoa

Are these a one shot deal or will a repress of the Chick Corea happen? I guess I waited too long to get that one. A MONTH!

16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I thought I read that these sold above expectations and that they were pressing more and they are not limited, at least not now. What is crazy are what the third party sellers have raised the prices to. I hope they all get stuck with them after the represses arrive. Just wait it out, heck that's what I'm doing in regards to ETC...just buying other Jazz titles until the place I shop finally gets it in...all good.

17. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

My admin assistant makes excel copy/paste errors like that all the time. LOL.

I ordered the Gil Evans title this morning, really looking forward to that one.

Stu02 and scotti like this.
  18. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

I would guess a repress is in order as ETC is having now....

19. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

It was a joke :)

20. gov

gov Forum Resident

Used to always clean before playing.....three kids now so it's lucky to get cleaned at all. But don't worry, I always apologize before playing each side.

21. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

gov likes this.
  22. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

If you're in the U.S don't you pretty much have a huge selection of top level jazz reissues from Mofi, AP etc to choose from a decent prices? If the prices on these Tone Notes get too high, unless you have everything out there, you can just buy another title, not to mention the used section here. Up in in Canada, the used section here doesn't work and we don't have anywhere near the choices of the U.S when it comes to new titles, pretty much just Amazon and those prices are creeping up on good reissues.

calgary669 likes this.
  23. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Sorry, I'm nearsighted. I was unable to see the smirk on your face. ;)

24. aoxomoxoa

I will probably sit the next round out. I am really only interested in Blue Note 50's & 60's titles. But I would highly welcome a reissue of Lee Morgan's "Live At The Lighthouse" if anyone is listening ;)

25. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I adore that Evans title. I managed to score an OP some years ago and it is one of mytop favorites of his and I know most of his stuff so high praise . You are in for a treat

Tlay, SoundDoctor, DeRosa and 2 others like this.