'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

September 10, 2021

• Joe Pass – For Django (Pacific Jazz, 1964)
    • Stanley Turrentine – Rough ‘N Tumble (Blue Note, 1966) - from BN's website.

Crazysteve, mktracy and Dubmart like this.
  2. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

What source do you have for Malcolm Addey creating a remix for the Tone Poet? He was born in Sept 1933, so he's nearly 90 years old
    and presumably retired, I think his last projects were for Mosaic in the early 00's.

The assumption has been that an analog master was created for Passing Ships, and possibly other tracks that ended up on the Mosaic Box were all mixed in 2003.
    That would be the analog tape Joe Harley showed in the mastering video on Instagram. Curious to know if Malcolm is still working?

3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Malcolm Addey’s active. He does new transfers for Mosaic. He just mastered the brand new Joe Henderson box for them.

Dignan2000, Bradd, timzigs and 3 others like this.
  4. river_man

river_man Forum Resident

After spending almost a week with these last two entries into the Tone Poet series, I find myself more amazed and mesmerized by each passing release. For a jazz newbie like myself, it’s such a blessing to be able to encounter and experience these great titles, as well as the BN80’s. It’s like discovering a whole new world I always knew was there but never actually stepped into. At this point, I just hit “preorder” and eagerly await the next batch...

5. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

One thing I don’t understand about the Passing Ships Tone Poet is why they put Plantation Bag on side one and didn’t use side four at all. Side one runs close to twenty minutes and Plantation Bag is kind of a dynamic piece. Wouldn’t it have been better to put it on side two and use all four sides?

6. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

$40 for a double lp and they leave side 4 blank is a missed opportunity to say the least

Guildx500, mackeyse, LaBowe and 3 others like this.
  7. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

This is kind of how I felt when the BN Connoisseurs started coming out.

mktracy, j4yheindeo and river_man like this.
  8. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

People, please stop misquoting me on this. To be clear, all I said is I could see how one brief section (with a blast from the brass/reeds) could push the capabilities of a lesser or misaligned cartridge. There is no inherent distortion on the record that I can detect. None! It sounds great to me. There are other records like that too, where a lesser or misaligned cartridge will fail to track correctedly. There is plenty of classical music like this.

As far as I'm concerned, Passing Ships is top notch and has no issues with playback. If you have issues, then I believe you either have a bad pressing or a bad TT setup.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    snorker, mktracy, conjotter and 2 others like this.
  9. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I have a Liberty BN of Slow Drag. I consider it good or OK, but not great. Personally, I'd rather see other stuff on Tone Poet. If it came out it could well be only the second title I give a pass. My copy is good enough and doesn't really get played. My 2¢ on it.

mktracy and danasgoodstuff like this.
  10. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Joe did a fair amount of Horace with MMJ, but I wouldn't mind having Silver's Serenade as a Tone Poet. Some great tunes on this. I think they hit it out of the ballpark with Further Expectations. Sonically, I wasn't expecting much but it surprised me and landed in my top 10.

Dignan2000, mktracy, mpayan and 3 others like this.
  11. Lobster Graham Funk

Lobster Graham Funk Well-Known Member

I think that Passing Ships is a wonderful recording. I hear no distortion on Plantation Bag. Although I feel for those perceiving an issue, I think that you’d be mad to pass on this record for fear of being impacted by it.

Levi's Tubs, NorthNY Mark and Smith like this.
  12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

One Flight Up. Tanya sounded phenomenal!!!

13. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

88 years old and go man go. that's awesome.

14. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Different strokes make the world go round, or something like that!

15. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

And so on And so on and scooby dooby doo

metalrules likes this.
  16. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

Could have been the first Tone Poet mastered at 45RPM. :shrug:

17. slimjw

slimjw Forum Resident

On my second copy of "Passing Ships" and the distortion is still there on Plantation Bag, as well as Noon Tide on A2. Table is level and cart just got setup, so shouldn't be a rig issue. It's annoying, but doesn't last that long and don't think it make sense to try another copy at this point.

PATB and Guildx500 like this.
  18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

"Further Expectations" may be the one that surprised me the most. Great music and the sound, yeah very good. One of my favs of the series also.

Had never heard "Silver's Serenade". Blue Mitchell is my favorite jazz trumpet player. Still having fun tracking down all the albums he played on. Always seem to discover another. Thanks for bringing that one to my attention.

I like the artwork on "Silver's Serenade" also. It would super cool and classy stark on a glossy Tone Poet gatefold.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Late night work. All wound up post 12 hrs. Nice little surprise though when I got home. My friends Andrew, Charles and Dexter were all waiting :cool:

Passing Ships, One Flight Up and Tone Poem all accounted for. Flat, no defects, no distortion. Just a beautiful variety of music.

I really have a great affection for the Tone Poem album. Something about the styles all congealing together in this laid back breezy haze that does it for me. A little hawaiian touch here and there. Interesting. A very nice change of pace. Couldnt wait to hear it. Sound quality is really nice also digital or not. Id really like to see this gentleman in concert. Maybe one day.

Been listening to beeps and buzzers all evening so Im saving the other two when I have fresh ears in the morn'. Good to have these home safe at last.

20. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Mine arrived yesterday BN uk via yodel just left outside the front door sometime in the day ...the email from BN was sent at 2.15am

21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Did you hear what he said??

Passing Ships has a notch in the top of his copy. And everyone else has a bad turntable. :angel: :winkgrin:

PATB, mktracy and Guildx500 like this.
  22. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

I needed to give my copy of Bass on Top a thorough clean ...as i had a crackle or 2 now after 2 cleans it plays perfect ... just a thought ..you might of already cleaned it

23. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Probably so they saved the cost of cutting an extra lacquer; it would make a true double LP and put the price up. Also some non-jazzers/45 collectors may object to a short side.

24. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

Maybe I have been lucky. I don’t know. I also pre ordered from U.K. Blue Note store during the sale in March. I received Passing Ships, One Flight Up, Bass on Top & Tone Poem. Bass on Top was showing out of stock this past week so I assume they must have picked it earlier and held it awaiting the release of The latest 2. I’m not in a hurry to receive these so I tend to wait now for a sale and then put my order in.
    Incidentally I have had faulty items twice and they just sent out replacements and on one occasion they didn’t want me to return the faulty one. The other was a box set so I did have to return that which was fair enough.

Kimiimacman likes this.
  25. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

Yes I did clean it. I think it’s a Pressing/handling issue. I can see a few scuffs on the vinyl. It’s not a massive issue it’s still playable.

Swann36 likes this.