'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Lowgroove

Lowgroove Forum Resident

Less tempting when they are not available new at a local store

Greenalishi and kt66brooklyn like this.
  2. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

The Tone Poet, et al. haven’t been going out of print so much as they’ve been going out of stock, with represses out of sight for the near future, due to RTI, et al. being overwhelmed with pressing orders. If there are titles you want buy them when they come out, or prepare to weep a while waiting for them to come back in stock again.

Even Analogue Production titles suffer going out of stock for extended periods, even though QRP (same enterprise, same location) presses them.

mktracy and AnalogJ like this.
  3. ILoveLucille

ILoveLucille The infernal desire machines of Dr Steve Hoffman

I feel like the vast majority of people would just prefer nice regular 33rpm pressings from Mofi with an affordable price tag.

4. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Tone Poet and the Verve/AS series have proven that.

I wish Sony would do a AAA series along the same lines.

5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Only 65 more pages until we hit 1000, what a fun and rewarding journey its been hanging out with so many fans of good sounding Jazz records.

But now that the two new Tone Poets are arriving this weekend (51 and counting), I just want to take a moment to sing the praise of "The All Seeing Eye". A particular favorite of Shorter's for me, and may I provide 7 great reasons as to why, and that's while not even hearing one note...

1) Shorter - tenor sax
    2) Hubbard - trumpet and flugelhorn
    3) Spaulding - alto sax
    4) Moncur III - trombone
    5) Hancock - piano
    6) Carter - bass
    7) Chambers - drums

Now that's what I call a lineup!

And not to forget the Konitz/Mulligan which is another great record, but that's for a separate post.

6. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

I have the itch and am going to the record store today. I have most tone poets but am lacking a handful that my local shop has. Which one should i pick up from this bunch? I am undecided, and keep in mind that piano warble doesnt really bother me

Andrew Hill - Black Fire
    Donald Byrd - Chant
    Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up
    Tina Brooks - Minor Move
    Sonny Clarke - My Conception

Dmann201 likes this.
  7. mktracy

mktracy Forum Resident

All of the above!!

Dartman likes this.
  8. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

Definitely:
    One Flight Up

I would also pick up:
    Chant + My Conception

If you REALLY like Lee Morgan:
    Minor Move (but I don't have the TP)

I would personally give Black Fire a miss, even if pitch instabilities hasn't bothered you yet; this one might be more unstable than anything you've heard before. But hard to say, musically it's very strong, of course

IanL, mktracy, timzigs and 2 others like this.
  9. Vibrolux_Reverb

Oh I love Black Fire. I have heard all of these albums and some of the more out there sessions like It's Time!!!!, Countours, and Oblique are amongst my favorites.

10. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Vibrolux... if you are heading over to Euclid, I'd be really surprised if they have Minor Move in stock. I've never seen it there. I had to luck out on Amazon when they got a few in a couple of months ago.

Or Chant. Or Black Fire. Unless they got some restocks.

11. Vibrolux_Reverb

ha. I am and i saw them there on Tuesday. All of those as a matter of fact along with both herbies and a few others. One of the stanley turrentines i believe. Cant remember what else. They are al upstairs in the jazz section against the wall.

Also in their new release section they have a few copies of Ian Carr - Belladonna. If you dont have that one i highly recommend it

Spazros likes this.
  12. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Buy them all up!!! I've got all of those, but somebody else will beat you to the punch. I'll check out the Ian Carr. Thanks for the tip!

I'm only patiently waiting for Chet Baker, Grant Green's Nigeria and a few of the 80s like Reuben Wilson, Freddie Hubbard and Buhania's Delight. I've got everything else of the 60s, early 70s stuff.

13. Vibrolux_Reverb

Euclid is good about getting stuff like that. I picked up Nigeria about 2 months ago from there. They constantly are getting some stock of OOP Tone Poets in from somewhere.

I just dropped a lot of money on some Adams Apple and A Night In Tunisia Music Matters, so taking it easy on the tone poets right now. Will probably just get one or two. At the moment I am thinking Black Fire and One Flight Up, but they are all really good sessions. My Conception is the only one I am not that familiar with

14. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

WHAT!!! Dang, I missed out. I've got to get in there more often.

15. Vibrolux_Reverb

lol. I go about once a week. I don't always buy something, but sometimes in the new arrival section they will have some stuff considerably marked down. I picked up a VERY clean copy of Grateful Dead Europe 72 for $12 a few weeks back and last time I was in there I got a very nice copy of a mid 70s, Let Freedom Ring for $20. Hard to complain about those prices.

16. Josquin des Prez

Got my phonostage upgrade today. Even stone cold I was playing Corea’s NHSNHS and my wife said the piano sounds a lot like it did when we heard Chick live in a local club a few years ago. This was money very well spent. It took my phonostage to a whole nother level. :)

The Mofi45 of Dire Straits is amazing. I’ll play some more Tone Poets tonight.

Dignan2000, Spazros, G E and 12 others like this.
  17. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Excellent move my friend

scotti and Josquin des Prez like this.
  18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

And coming from our friend that's considering selling some of his treasures...priceless!

19. Josquin des Prez

Well, that’s still on the table and not the same thing. The new component will be used every time I play a record. What I might start selling are records I never play, and that makes room for more that I will. :)

20. Kenny Lagers

Kenny Lagers good ears beat good gear

Just finished spinning The All Seeing Eye. Holy smokes—what a record! Immediately became one of my top 5 favorite Tone Poets.

21. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Once they pull you in….

22. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

One flight up.

mktracy and Fender Relic like this.
  23. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

Skip Black Fire. Just a friendly advice...

24. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

25. Biff Jones

Biff Jones Forum Resident

Sorry. Cannot stand that guy. He is rude and arrogant. Even an interview with Joe Harley would be too irritating to watch.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021