'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Ken loves jazz and he loves vinyl and inevitably he pulls out and talks about something I have and love and I enjoy whatever tilt he may have on the subject. As for being miss informed, he's an honest guy and who here doesn't occasionally emit a brain fart once in a while.

Ste_S likes this.
  2. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Agreed. For instance, i had no idea that Joe and Ron at Music Matters first approached RVG to remaster the original MMJ series!

mktracy and recstar24 like this.
  3. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

That's funny.

Also because there is a random photo of RKS at Sterling in there near the same time, and i noticed someone had to point it out in the comments.

YEX 750-1 likes this.
  4. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Same. At minimum, there is a killer reveal in the first couple of minutes. Apparently, when Joe and Ron were first discussing the Music Matters concept, the original idea was to have Rudy re-cut all their pressings for them!!!

dastinger likes this.
  5. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Top left

No picture of the drummer, Joe Chambers who is a bit highlighted in the mix from what I am hearing. I like it!
    [​IMG]
    No pre-orders for October yet?

6. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Weird I got a shipping notice from Amazon for the Lee Konitz to be here in Sept 21

I thought the two releases were supposed to be the same day, today?

recstar24 likes this.
  7. mktracy

mktracy Forum Resident

I got a notification on Kontiz delivering on Oct 13th

8. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Yes but Amazon has been getting their stock late on some titles for a while now.

Dignan2000 and chris8519 like this.
  9. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Nice, mine arrived today, will listen soon. Did you get the VMP Alan Shorter release?

btf1980, mktracy and scotti like this.
  10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Just got the Shorter, will be a nice late night hang with that one, love that record! Just got the same notice (Amazon) on the Konitz, it has shipped but arrives Tuesday...all good and delays are bound to happen these days. My local was late as well.

Swann36 and Bigdz68 like this.
  11. weverb

weverb Forum Resident

Just received the same message about my copy of Konitz being delivered Tuesday. Still waiting for my Shorter to be dropped off. :rolleyes:

12. ChevyM91

ChevyM91 New Member

The All Seeing Eye sounds great. Here is to hoping we see some more Grachan Moncur III coming up in the Tone Poet or Classic series. Evolution would be awesome, or the Jackie McClean albums from that same time period.

13. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Except that when you elevate yourself to be an expert and you also set yourself up to do an interview, you have to up your game, and part of that is being more precise. If you or I were merely chatting with Joe Harley, I wouldn't hold you to a mistake in a fact. But if I were doing an interview to be published, I sure has heck would do a LOT of research on Joe's background and get my facts straight.

14. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Anticipating the arrival of the freshly-minted Tone Poet All Seeing Eye (sic) -- [between this title and Dexter Gordon's Doin' Allright (sic) I think it's obvious English was a second language for Alfred] -- I've had occasion to play my vintage King vinyl a couple of times. This is a very interesting album that I have mostly overlooked in my listening sessions.

First, I would submit that without a diligent reading of the liner notes -- apparently from an interview with jazz critic and historian Nat Hentoff -- the listener may find himself non-plussed as to what this carefully orchestrated concept album is all about. I mean, it's no Moody Blues Days of Future Passed, but Shorter and company laid some interesting groundwork here. Haha. Second, there are a lot of queer sounds on this monster, but one sonic delicacy I cannot quite reconcile occurs at ~ 10:30 into "Genesis." Does it sound like maybe someone is pressing his lips and blowing on a tambourine head? Perhaps this represents the arrival of insects or frogs or something into the world? Crazy!!!

At any rate, this Tone Poet seems very promising. Meanwhile, if anyone has an opinion about what "instrument" we're hearing at the ~10:30 mark on "Genesis", please advise. Boy, that's a curiosity. Lastly, kudos to the producer for slapping that flute out of his hands and kicking it down the front porch when James Spaulding arrived at the studio.

The All Seeing Eye - Wikipedia

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  15. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

it sounds like it could be Grachon Moncur's lips vibrating on his mouthpiece

lol'd though it was probably Wayne or James himself who decided that, but who knows.. i'm usually not a fan of the flute .. but you know... Eric Dolphy sounded pretty nice when he played it

Dignan2000, mktracy and MisterBritt like this.
  16. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

One of his brain farts about Tone Poet is declaring on his YouTube channel that ETC and Now He Sings have "digital sounding treble" because they have been mastered from digital sources :laugh:. Ken promptly deleted that video!

Eric_B and Biff Jones like this.
  17. Usky

Usky Forum Resident

From those five, my vote is for Sonny Clarke - My Conception. Essential for me at least.

18. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Sounds like extended techniques on the trombone, but I've heard weirder sounds coming out of trumpets and saxphones. In any case, that's the sort of things the following generation of improvisers (people like Evan Parker on saxophone, Keith Rowe and Derek Bailey on guitar or Paul Rutherford on trombone) put to maximum use.
    Here's an exemple :

MisterBritt and roverb like this.
  19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

"Brain fart"?? Seems more like something he pulled out of the other end.

PATB likes this.
  20. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

According to Tone Poet’s announcement for the 2021-2022 titles, at this moment the upcoming releases are TBA. :cry:
    http://www.bluenote.com/2021-2022-tone-poet-vinyl-series-line-up/

struttincool and AnalogJ like this.
  21. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

I don't have a strong opinion of his purported arrogance nor do I have a general familiarity with his channel... But I noticed some missed opportunities like, "Hey Joe, tell us more about the B3. What is it and who were some of the Bluenote players who played one?"

Of course, you and I and 99% on this thread know what it is, but it could help other viewers gain more context. Plus, it's a great lead-in to prompting Joe to muse on differences between Jimmy Smith and Larry Young, for example. The best interviewers who are on top of their game know when to say... "tell me more..."

22. Szabo

Szabo Forum Resident

Just an FYI I’m a jazz teacher and trumpet player - I can say that is sounds like a person buzzing through their lips but the air stream is not consistent with Grachan Moncur’s…I’d be very surprised if he’s doing it. It sounds more like someone else adding it in to me. It’s definitely a deliberate sound though. In my opinion there’s no way he can make those to sounds simultaneously.

23. Taylor VanRoekel

Taylor VanRoekel Forum Resident

I do love Dan, but I gotta say that Ken's content has played a big role in my ever expanding jazz odyssey. I owe a lot to him and Delta Breeze Records in Sacramento for expanding my tastes. I've started to dig Dan more, but I always watch Ken.

Levi's Tubs and Morbius like this.
  24. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

i *think* it was actually a C3 and i *think* everybody played it

Mark Myers may have mentioned this at one point??

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  25. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Just calling myself out for correction... watching pt. 2 now... one of the interviewer's channel subscribers asked a question about B3 (C3?) artists including Patton, Smith and Young. Not much context for those who wouldn't know it's an organ with bass pedals. Joe didn't really respond to that with anything resembling artist context. But, I guess we almost got there in the end. :)