'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

That was during the Golden Age of VMP … when they would send you multiple copies because they were so disorganized. I received several copies of this one and at least one other. Some people would order an album and receive 20 freaking copies. :crazy:

bjlefebvre and Matadore like this.
  2. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

There was a brief time when some people had their orders cubed. Order 2, you got 8. Order 3? 27!

bjlefebvre and FWatty like this.
  3. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

A number of people (myself included) that purchased the box got a copy of Schizophrenia that had the side 2 label on side 1 and vice versa. To VMP’s credit they sent all box set purchasers a new copy of the LP with the labels corrected. I have to imagine that this was a pressing plant mistake, yet VMP made it right.

It does bring up a question- how much (if at all) do the titles of instrumental jazz songs influence your perception and appreciation of them. To me, not so much but I’m curious how others feel about this.

Joti Cover likes this.
  4. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

Odyssey!!

ETSEQ and scotti like this.
  5. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

Song titles have almost no influence on my appreciation music, particularly jazz (I say "almost" only because an extremely and obnoxiously bad or offensive title would be distracting, but otherwise no influence). In fact, swapped labels don't even really bother me. I got the first run of the "The Shape of Jazz to Come" reissue by Speakers Corner earlier this year that had the labels flipped and my only thought was that maybe it might be worth more money some day.

timzigs and bjlefebvre like this.
  6. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

The title “Mephistopheles” sure prepped me for the final track on The All Seeing Eye.

ultron9, PATB, mktracy and 3 others like this.
  7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Was able to give the Lee Konitz with Gerry Mulligan quartet finally a listen last night. Joe and co did a fantastic job, was really impressed with the quality of the cover! Plenty of depth and spaciousness present in the recording, always a plus especially with mono stuff. For such a cool, smooth balance, its actually quite a toe-tapper! This was a blind buy as I typically snag anything associated with the Chet Baker/Mulligan quartet stuff so am very happy.

8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Got to listen to it for a second time last night. This is easily one of the best sounding Tone Poets. I think Joe and Kevin have taken this series to another level. I wish they had their own private facilities to have these come out faster. Will listen to the Konitz/Mulligan today or tomorrow.

In regards to what Shorter is being mastered this week, its "Odyssey of Iska. I'm told he will get to "Super Nova" one of these days...I enjoy the heck out of both, but honestly prefer Super Nova which was recorded directly after "Bitches Brew" and certainly sounds like it at times. With that said, I have a feeling that "Odyssey" will benefit big time from some Tone Poet magic and come to life much more. A very interesting but ever so cool sounding record that makes it a wonderful choice to be part of this series.

If I can sidebar a second, does anyone here have the SC version of Weather Report's "Live In Tokyo"? I know the music, was curious how the sound is and if KG cut it...

9. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Super Nova, too, is full of Shorter compositions that Miles Davis recorded with the Second Great Quintet but that Columbia didn't release until later, including first on Water Babies.

10. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

What would the digital description here mean?

1. The All Seeing Eye (Rudy Van Gelder/24Bit Mastering/2000 Digital Remaster)

2. The All Seeing Eye (Rudy Van Gelder/24Bit Mastering/2000 Digital Remaster)

3. Genesis (Rudy Van Gelder/24Bit Mastering/2000 Digital Remaster)

4. Genesis (Rudy Van Gelder/24Bit Mastering/2000 Digital Remaster)

5. Chaos

6. Face Of The Deep

7. Mephistopheles (Rudy Van Gelder/24Bit Mastering/2000 Digital Remaster)

8. Mephistopheles (Rudy Van Gelder/24Bit Mastering/2000 Digital Remaster)

11. Gabe Walters

What are you looking at? The Tone Poet release is all analog.

12. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Well a lot of outlets has this behind the tracklist. Just curious as i didn't see it at the others.

13. Gabe Walters

It isn't.

14. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

15. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

They cut and paste the track list from the RVG Edition without checking what they were doing. Obvious proof : the Tone Poet release doesn't feature bonus tracks.

16. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

don't believe everything you see on a random website! it's just cut/paste content that is incorrect.
    You have to consider the source of the information, go to the authentic Blue Note website.

Christopher B, mktracy and trd like this.
  17. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

What do i believe? I asked a question or noticed something.

18. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Same 5 tracks.

19. JimmyS

JimmyS Forum Resident

Quick question for Amazon TP buyers, have you ever received an LP from this series in completely different packaging? Just got Expansions and it's without the standard TP sleeve with blue hype sticker. Hope its not a repackaged, defective return.

20. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

And this is not true if i may believe previous posters.

"Regardless, I’ve been on the fence about the State of the Tenor TP since I found out about its digital source"

"I think Michael Fremer opines in his latest unboxing video that digital files cut well to vinyl still sound more real to him, that it's a better playback medium. And he has a really kickass digital setup. It's obviously subjective, but it's worth not being close minded about it, either way."

21. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

no
    Can you post a picture?

22. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

What in the world are you going on about?

23. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

Come on mate, that's a very well-known example, and a digital recording so it couldn't possibly be mastered all analog anyway. You asked a question, and you got your answer, so maybe we can just go back to taking about sleeves and stuff? :D

Christopher B, Arknine and trd like this.
  24. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I'm not sure why the attitude, but you don't even read right. @Gabe Walters said "The Tone poet release (singular) is all analog". He was clearly talking about The All Seeing Eye. Why go and talk about State of the Tenor that we all know is digital (and an exception that confirms the rule)?

Korato69, ryu, DeRosa and 2 others like this.
  25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

No reason to as it sounds great. These days if the person is experienced doing this like Gray and Bellman as examples, it can sound great. Sure you can sometimes notice it, but it does not take away from the enjoyment of the records.

Is the sleeve like a Tone Poet, where you can open it from pulling the designated area or is it completely shrink wrapped, because if it is, they repackaged it.

ultron9 and Swann36 like this.