'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

We don't even have what were originally the September releases. Curtain Call won't happen before next year.

2. Josquin des Prez

Unless you're only playing prerecorded tapes, the whole ordeal of recording records and getting it right makes tape a huge PITA.

Once a TT is setup it's simple and straightforward to use.

3. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

No surprise at all. If you think about it, the man was responsible for almost all the songs on his albums as a leader, responsible for a lot of what Miles did when he played with him and responsible for a lot of the stuff on the Jazz Messengers. I honestly can't think of another jazz musician with so much stuff composed over the span of a decade like Shorter. With such quality too.

Joti Cover, puelche, mikemoon and 4 others like this.
  4. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

I am only playing prerecorded tapes. I have no reason to record my LPs unless someone asks me for a favor.

I agree that once a TT is set up there isn't much to do other than clean LPs and keep your stylus clean. However, a lot of people change cartridges which require some effort to get it right.

5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Can someone tell me why all of a sudden I'm in the mood for some Wayne Shorter records today...just pulled out the MMJ of JuJu and the Tone Poet that helped launch the series, "ETC". Not even Noon and my playlist is almost set for the rest of the day. It can be such a PITA (ha!) digging through your collection to try and find something you want to listen to.

Joti Cover, Aegir, trd and 7 others like this.
  6. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

I couldn't agree more about his most recent quartet. They are fantastic. I met Danilo before a Wayne Shorter show in Paris a few years ago. He's not only one of the greatest pianist of his generation, but also a very kind guy. The Emanon album is highly recommended!

trd, AnalogJ and Gabe Walters like this.
  7. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I sometimes use the scientific method of closing my eyes and grabbing one.

Joti Cover, trd, oldjollymon and 2 others like this.
  8. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

I like Vol 2. A lot. Wanted to get Vol 1. too. Unfortunately I went through 2 copies and both had terrible loud pops and clicks. I gave up on this one.

9. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Streaming this at the office today....quite interesting and highly orchestral. He was like 85 when he wrote this?!? Phenomenal!

NicoRock, Gabe Walters and Crazysteve like this.
  10. Josquin des Prez

They are in the vast minority of turntable users. And of them the higher end users often have turntables with multiple tonearms, others have multiple turntables, and yet others have tonearms with removable/interchangeable headshells (which involves resetting VTA and maybe anti-skate). But among turntable users, those who actually swap cartridges out on fixed headshells requiring re-alignment, etc. must be a really tiny minority of turntable users.

Vinyl is a PITA. It's expensive, fragile and prone to accidental damage. But turntables once setup are really pretty easy to deal with.

GyroSE, Jellis77 and mikemoon like this.
  11. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

They sure are great, digital or not and to complete my BN Joe Henderson as leader vinyl collection I’ve just bought a MMJ45 of Our Thing, costly but had to be done; heck Pete La Roca AND Andrew Hill, heck yeah!

Greenmonster2420, scotti and mikemoon like this.
  12. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I'm not an aficionado by any stretch but I will highly recommend Native Dancer (Speakers Corner). I'm thinking of checking out Algeria as well. With Jazz, I stick mostly to AAA or well done reissues. It kind of keep me focused but is still hard.

Greenmonster2420, AnalogJ and timzigs like this.
  13. Josquin des Prez

I have an original of Native Dancer and haven't listened to it in many years. I'm pulling it out for a clean and play tonight. :)

…or not. I can't find it now. :(

AnalogJ, brimuchmuze and mikemoon like this.
  14. Josquin des Prez

Ahhh…I think I know why I can't find it. I'm playing it on Qobuz now. I never liked it and probably traded it.

I was into fusion at the time, and a Weather Report fan, but by the 80s lost interest in fusion (especially with so-called smooth jazz) and re-focused on mainstream and classic jazz.

brimuchmuze and Fender Relic like this.
  15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well how would you have liked having to buy and promote smooth Jazz? It's one of the main reasons I developed listening post programs for the stores so it did not get played overhead. I remember once when Spyro Gyro released a new record, MCA came to us and paid us to play the new release and their catalog in the stores for an entire month. It was brutal and we even lost a few associates because of it. The good old 80s...

Sorry for that, but much time on my hands. With that said, I'm off to music land. Before I fire up State Of The Tenor Vol. 1, I dug through my AP45s and pulled out Horace Silver's "The Tokyo Blues" (really nice record) and John Patton's "Along Came John", which features Harold Vick. And with any luck, we should get his Tone Poet release of "Steppin' Out" hopefully by next Spring. Heck there are still 10 titles in front of it to be released. And like yourself, I can't wait though for "For Django".

Dignan2000, Fractured and Crazysteve like this.
  16. Korato69

Korato69 Forum Resident

Wayne Shorter was never one of my favorite jazz musicians. The music i have heard from him from time to time and his way of soloing was too grumpy and adventurous for my taste. I still bought ETC when i started collecting the Tone Poet releases - 19 titles for the moment - after reading such positive reviews from members of this thread. I rather enjoyed it, but would never call it a favorite. Kenny Burrell's Introducing, Duke Pearson's Phantom and Lee Morgan's Cornbread are three records that would definitely be in my top five list of favorites so far. A couple of days ago, i decided to get back into ETC and oh my Goodness, this Tone Poet is now hitting me like a thunder! Not only a fantastic album sonically, but most importantly i dig the style, the progress of his compositions and the musicianship. In my point of view, it also contains one of the most exciting sides of the Blue Note records i own, Barracudas and Indian Song are offering an absolute musical enjoyment to these ears! A truly breathtaking Side 2!!!
    Unfortunately none of my nine MMJ records is a Wayne Shorter album. I cannot even imagine what kind of experience would i receive out of them, recalling your positive posts on his other Blue note albums. Thank you all for the great advice.

miq2son, GyroSE, NorthNY Mark and 8 others like this.
  17. Josquin des Prez

I worked part at Streetside Records on Delmar in the early 80s. A local jazz drumming legend, Gary Sykes, also worked there. He and I played played whatever we wanted in the store, and Gary totally influenced my subsequent taste in jazz, turning me on to the great ECM catalog, as well as a lot of Blue Note and many other things I enjoy to this day. We played some of the great fusion, but none of the smooth jazz artists. When the promos for them would come in, we hid them away from view.

Later I was classical/jazz record buyer for Music Systems in the city. I didn't even carry any smooth jazz. Once in a while a distributor would include titles we didn't order in shipments, and they would get returned again, never seeing the light of the bins.

18. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Try the Random Item feature on discogs

uzn007, Telemark and scotti like this.
  19. sherpa

sherpa New Member

so many great BN artists it is impossible to crate a durable top 5 list ...here is my current list in no particular order...

art taylor *
    stanley turentine
    dexter gordon
    jackie mclean
    sonny clark

* AT's performance on one flight up is just breathtaking and, perhaps, the greatest drum performance in the history of recorded music ;)

20. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

Mccoy Tyner's Tender Moments and Expansions just arrived. The Blue Note Classic of The Real McCoy should be arriving tomorrow. Sweet jazz goodness!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  21. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I purchased many records over the years at the various Streetside Records stores in the Kansas City metro. Great stores and really knowledgeable staff. Loved going in there.

22. Josquin des Prez

The University City (St. Louis County) store on Delmar, in The Loop, was the original Streetside Records, and the last to go out of business, AFAIK.

Swann36, Preston and trd like this.
  23. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I canceled my order. I listened to the CD box again today and decided it was really good and I can’t really make the space for a large box set I don’t need (“need”). Do I regret canceling? Yes. But I don’t think I’d listen to the 12 LPs enough to justify even the comparatively low $250 price tag.

mikemoon likes this.
  24. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Same for me, but I would swap Hill and Hancock. But only by including all the great Hill records not issued until Michael Cuscunas Vault finds in the late 70s

mktracy and Gabe Walters like this.
  25. Jack Francis

Jack Francis Forum Resident

I think we're all making up these percentage numbers, but in my experience with open reel, 1/4" @ 15 IPS should get you a lot more than 90%. On a well calibrated machine you're essentially in "undistinguishable from the source" territory.

Obviously R2R doesn't translate to a car, which is the primary reason for my use of cassettes.

Getting back to this thread... recently I made a C90 into a two-sided Wayne Shorter joint: Side A is "Etcetera" and Side B is "The All Seeing Eye". Since "Etcetera" was recorded in June 1965 and "The All Seeing Eye" four months later in October, it makes sense to have the two dates on a single tape. A very satsfying almost 90 minute music program!

NorthNY Mark, mktracy and Dai like this.