'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

1. Wayne Shorter
    2. Lee Morgan
    3. Herbie Hancock
    4. Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers
    5. Bobby Hutcherson

Duke Pearson for his productions and compositions as honorable mention. And Ron Carter near the top if I wasn't merely including leaders. The amount of awesome albums the guy was part of is incredible.

PS: It's funny how both John Coltrane and Cannonball Adderley recorded what could be considered two of the very best albums on Blue Note and their output for the label was precisely one album each.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  2. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

Related to percentage numbers, I picked up "Mingus at the Bohemia" this week. The Debut Records slogan is "33 1-3 RPM 99% Reproduction of Hi-Fi Tape Sound". I suspect they made up that number too!

Jack Francis likes this.
  3. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I stopped myself from asking several times what's the formula you were all using. I mean, I understand if you guys said tape reproduces about half of what you hear on the record regarding SQ, but 95%? 90%? What's the other 5 or 10%? Would you actually be able to tell apart differences so small when blind testing? I honestly doubt it. And if you did, it wouldn't be a 5% difference imo.

mktracy and Petter Premberg like this.
  4. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I think we should all get $15k+ refurbished R2R decks and start arguing over the sonics of the $500 open reel tapes copied from original sources.

chris8519, mktracy, dastinger and 4 others like this.
  5. Jack Francis

Jack Francis Forum Resident

Ha ha, you know there are internet forums out there where people are doing just that!

mktracy and Fender Relic like this.
  6. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

So after Fancy Dancer and Places And Spaces, has any BNC's been put up for pre order?

7. Josquin des Prez

Of course there is.

My system is finished, so tape of any kind is not in my future. Between vinyl and digital streaming I am set.

James Bennett, mktracy and Jcashfan like this.
  8. G E

G E Senior Member

and some say retirement is nuthin’ but hammocks and lemonade.

if they only knew…..

;-)

9. Josquin des Prez

Counting the days...169 to go

mktracy, trd and this_machine like this.
  10. G E

G E Senior Member

I get these recruiting emails, and they are all written in a strange language…. “Business-speak”

sorry, no comprende

11. Josquin des Prez

I used to get recruiting emails ad nauseum. Then I became a partner in my company. Now I get spammed by sales force.

I also ignore my LinkedIn profile and never update it, so recruiters leave me alone.

G E likes this.
  12. G E

G E Senior Member

still have LinkedIn account but went to free subscription. Clicking that button was truly liberating.

13. Josquin des Prez

I never had a paid subscription.

I'm a software engineer, but have spent much of my career on proprietary work, so mostly my work experience isn't exposed to the internet. I did work an important piece of an open source microservices framework and will go back to that team part-time when I retire, on an hourly basis abput 2 days/week. But that's a fun project and requires no client work/interaction.

trd and G E like this.
  14. G E

G E Senior Member

interesting - I was in sales for a software consultancy out of chicago… among other gigs.

40 years in tech was like having 7 or 8 distinct careers. Kept it fresh.

(listening to Hub Caps as I write this just to keep it relevant!)

CBackley, trd and Josquin des Prez like this.
  15. Jcashfan

Jcashfan Forum Resident

For me, personally Jimmy Smith and Hank Mobley have to be in there as well as Blakey. Didn't Ruth Lion's say Horace Silver & The Jazz Messengers saved Blue Note ? Might as well make it a Top 10! lol

16. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Cassette Better Than Vinyl?

17. Josquin des Prez

Kimiimacman likes this.
  18. Kumocat

Kumocat Jazz Cat

I see what's missing here.. the yellow tags on my records. Manually tagging my records, so much better than Discogs :doh:

Btw... There so much wrong in this video that's it's a joy to watch it through ;)

19. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

that would be the Mobley Mosaic set- but im expecting big things from this one, the tape hasnt been pulled too much maybe it could be definitive (?)

blutiga likes this.
  20. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Others have commented already on "disagreements" they have with some of his statements. My own take is that he's really undervaluing how close a well-cut and pressed record is to the original master tape source. He says only 40-50%!!!! Joe Harley, as a credible source of one who has listened to thousands of master analog tapes and been a part of the cutting process, I believe has thrown out the subjective value that a quality cut and pressed record captures 90-95% of the original tape based on how he hears it in the mastering room, and then playing the pressing next to it.

dastinger, mktracy, nosliw and 2 others like this.
  21. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

To say that a vinyl only captures 40-50% of the master tape is nothing more than a self affirming statement with no actual merit. It is a ridiculous statement at its core.

22. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I also question the value of his methodology.

rockness87 and recstar24 like this.
  23. G E

G E Senior Member

it doesn’t take a lot of money in analog (comparatively speaking) to achieve stunning results in record playback.

Amadeus Well Tempered, Grado Ref 3, Hagerman Trumpet ( last rev) and Mullard pre 1956 tubes - it’s so good I catch myself giggling.

And it’s less than $10k

AnalogJ, timzigs, mktracy and 3 others like this.
  24. Josquin des Prez

I have a lot more than that into my analog front end, but yes, results can be quite stunning and realistic. I don’t giggle. My jaw drops to the floor. I have scars under my chin from it….LOL

But even a Rega P3 with a DV 20x2H and DV phonostage can provide impressive reproduction (I’ve been there too).

Dignan2000, GyroSE, AnalogJ and 3 others like this.
  25. G E

G E Senior Member

my jaw dropped to the floor the first time I heard Analogue productions’ 45 rpm issue of Billie Holiday’s “All or Nothing At All”

I now own each of their three releases

MisterBritt, mktracy and CBackley like this.