'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

He was playing those chords so hard, the piano literally stretched and changed pitch temporarily!
    First time it’s happened. Hence such a memorable session.
    Nothin’ to see here. :shh:

2. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I forgot how awesome it sounds and how amazing the playing is. Great Friday night jam!!
    Enjoy!

Instant Dharma likes this.
  3. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I’ve been continuing the survey of my MMJ45 collection and pulled this out tonight. It’s a favorite and what a great album. Definitely a gem of the BN mono-only era. I hope BN makes this available to you all via the BN Classics series. This album is so much fun to play. It really has more of a west coast coast than NYC bebop vibe to it…

Gil Melle, Patterns In Jazz
    [​IMG]

4. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I'd be happy to see more 10" era cool school BN or related recordings get reissued. I may have said this before! For example the two sessions of French Hornist Julius Watkins for BN are worthy, one with Hank Mobley and one with Frank Foster.

5. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

The ‘TBC’ Blue Note box set listed on Amazon U.K. now has an image of the Ornette Coleman release [​IMG]

Kimiimacman, Dubmart and Swann36 like this.
  6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha! Another one of my favorites. I raved about this one so much on the MMJ thread, folks thought Ron was paying me to do so. You just keep surveying away as you always give me ideas of what to pull out and spin.

And if anyone here is a big fan of John Coltrane, A Love Supreme Live In Seattle is a must have record in your collection. For what it is, a simply outstanding release that I will always treasure. I posted my thoughts on the respected thread earlier...

7. drpmc130

drpmc130 Forum Resident

I noticed that last night also. I went to the blue note site for Ornette and they had 4 albums under the releases
    https://www.bluenote.com/artist/ornette-coleman/
    Maybe a TP box set?

8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I have a French LP of A Love Supreme recorded live in France which I haven't listened to in a while. I wonder how it compares?

9. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

its better

10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Are you getting the new one? Of course a different show, but would like to hear you compare the two if you do indeed get Live In Seattle.

11. jazzsurfer

12. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Seriously? In what way if you don't mind. I take it you did get Live In Seattle?

13. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

And more importantly @jazzsurfer , did you mean that Antibes is better than Seattle or the other way around? :)

Swann36, AnalogJ and scotti like this.
  14. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

Come on now J. :laugh:

chris8519 likes this.
  15. jazzsurfer

the French is a better quality recording and I think the performance is more intense because its more inside than the Seattle performance and Coltrane's sound is better.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    AnalogJ likes this.
  16. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

No, it hasn't been reissued yet.

From discogs, it looks like the last vinyl was a Scorpio.

It wasn't in the 75th series, or any of the more recent series.

17. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I wasn't planning to. I actually prefer the original studio as it's more approachable. As someone else alludes to, the live French performance is more out there, less introspective.

18. Josquin des Prez

I got my copy of the new Coltrane today. I also received a few other items
    • Henderson/Corea/Carter/Higgins, Mirror Mirror (thanks to this thread)
    • the AP reissue of Zubin Mehta/LA Phil Mahler’s 3rd on Decca (can’t wait to give this that very long spin most Mahler symphonies require)
    • The AP BN 45 of Introducing Johnny Griffin
    Amazon also brought me some more goodies for my new bike build early next year. Getting all my ducks in a row for that one. Bike parts have been scarce so I’m snatching up what I can when I can.

mktracy, scotti, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  19. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

I guess you've read the Robert Penn book "it's all about the bike" as your getting components ad hoc ..:edthumbs:

20. Josquin des Prez

No. It’s not that I’m getting components ad hoc. I am getting a new bike, built up from a custom frame to my spec. The parts I’m buying are part of the spec I gave much thought to. There’s really nothing ad hoc about it.

AnalogJ likes this.
  21. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Apologies i didn't mean it the sense of getting any parts you could but rather getting the parts you specifically want as you are able to source them ..(as ad hoc means to me getting something for a specific purpose...thats what i remember it meaning from my school latin lessons where i was told it literally means 'for this - purpose') pandemic and all impacting upon their availability ... in the book Robert travels the world getting the parts he specifically wants in order to create / build his very personal bike ...so an ad hoc journey.

I didn't mean to offend in any sense ..i know the bike build is an important part of your life and do enjoy reading your posts here about the biking and the music ... sorry if our understanding of the phrase ad hoc has different meanings, in my world it's not a derogatory term at all and certainly wasn't meant in that way.

22. Josquin des Prez

No worries. You’re good. I really didn’t take any offense. I just misunderstood you. Now I get your meaning. All my bikes are built to my spec, but this new one is really special. I can’t wait until it all comes together. Mostly waiting on the frame builder now.

The supply chain challenges have hit the bike industry hard. So, yes, I am depending on my dealer, the bike builder and myself to get eveything just so for this build.

In the meantime, I’m enjoying the new Mehta Mahler’s 3rd I got today. The Coltrane Love Supreme Live in Seattle has some pressing defects. I have to decide if they are annoying enough for a return.

Joti Cover and Swann36 like this.
  23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha! I think you might be needing some of that on this wonderful morning...any other wisecracks you wanna sling my way...I thought not.

As I dug through my Tone Poets yesterday looking for a title I had not listened to in a while, I remembered I pulled out "Whistle Stop" (MMJ) because of a post up thread from the man that's always riding his bike, even inside his house if the weather is bad.

What a record! Talk about a 5 star classic. Kenny Drew is the highlight for me here, and it got me to pull out the Kenny Drew Trio for a spin later today which also features Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones from Whistle Stop. And not to forget the Tone Poets, I have "Bass On Top" ready to spin as well today as I never got around to it the other day.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  24. KUJayhawk

KUJayhawk Forum Resident

Latest Downbeat has a two-page ad with a photo of the contents and describes it as “A boxset that presents all-analog 180g Tone Poet Vinyl Editions of all six Blue Note albums …”

25. Josquin des Prez

There is no bad weather. Just bad gear. :)
    I ride outdoors year round. I don’t even own an indoor trainer.

But yes, Whistle Stop is a great album. I wonder how the MMJ33 and AP45 compare.

scotti, mktracy and AnalogJ like this.