'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

It is, but the Purdie is on a label called Tidal Waves, which is distributed by LITA. Looking at their website I think I might be wrong about them being UK based, just presumed they were as they licensed this release and several more from Ace

AnalogJ likes this.
  2. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

I love the drum solo on Bi’s Delight.....breathtaking...and the drive of the song afterwards is remarkable.
    Good call re the one!

Ryan_Pretzel and Mugrug12 like this.
  3. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Rudy van Gelder chose Blakey's reading of Moon River as his favorite track, according to this BN cd/dvd compilation Perfect Takes.

Mugrug12, Joti Cover and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  4. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

What a monster- That track could blow Mancini out of his chair!

5. Joti Cover

Wow...i was just listening to it as I pulled your post up.....it is pretty great....i’m still trying to process though as its so different from any version i’ve heard.....but I’m really liking it. I can see how Rudy could have really liberated by its zesty tempo, etc. Thanks for the note on this!

Johan1880, Ryan_Pretzel and Mugrug12 like this.
  6. Joti Cover

How true! I can’t stop laughing at what you just said .....wearing my IPA.

Ryan_Pretzel and Mugrug12 like this.
  7. Mugrug12

You can thank Shorter who wrote the arrangement. And also most other songs on the album iirc. He was of course the jazz messengers artistic director at the time too....

Ryan_Pretzel and Joti Cover like this.
  8. Joti Cover

Wayne Shorter’s such a master ....lately Adams’s Apple and ETC have virtually kept me under house arrest.
    I feel very much the same way about Herbie Hancock....without the right words but eternally grateful.

9. Joti Cover

Also eternally grateful to Joe Harley .....this sort of opportunity doesn’t come around very often....wonderful.

Stone Turntable and Mugrug12 like this.
  10. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I got my copy today from Acoustic Sounds, after it was OOS for a while, #1494/1500. So far this sounds outstanding. It is exceptional!

The presentation is great, but the packaging is the most frustrating of any album I own. They cut the jackets just a bit too small and the records are a serious PITA to re-sleeve. There is just no wiggle room at all for sliding them in.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  11. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

My favorite jazz reissue from 2018 (along with Jazzman Records' Complete Rendell/Carr Quintet Box Set).

I don't think Nathan Davis made a bad album in his career. They're all stellar and worth seeking out.

Josquin des Prez and Sydster like this.
  12. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Looks like this month's releases are pushed to May?

Joe Henderson - 5/10
    Gil Evans & Cassandra Wilson - 5/17

Guessing it's plant capacity related to RSD? Even some RSD titles didn't make it out in time.

13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Where are you seeing this? I talked with the owner of the store I go to earlier today and he confirmed with me that I could pick the Evans and Wilson titles up this Thursday (actual product was ready to ship) and that his distributor just got the Joe Henderson and will ship that next Tuesday. I sure hope I did not get wrong info here.

14. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Amazon still has my Gil Evans arriving Friday.

scotti likes this.
  15. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Checked in with my local and he gave me those dates. Looks like MusicDirect is showing the same.

16. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

For what it's worth, Bull Moose has my Joe Henderson as 5/3 and my Gil Evans at 5/17.

Joti Cover and wgb113 like this.
  17. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

How much are they charging for those?

18. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

$33.97 each. More than Amazon, but I like to not give Amazon money whenever possible. Plus BM has a rewards program which means I get a half-off record every once in a while.

Mugrug12 and Eigenvector like this.
  19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Right. Not a bad price. I have an account with them.

20. Mugrug12

That's weird mine says date is pending. I'm in California. I don't think my card was charged yet?

21. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

22. Mugrug12

That link does but when I go to "my orders" and click it there where I preordered it, it says date is pending. I actually don't have much experience getting music/preorders on amazon but I thought the Wayne Shorter preorder didn't have this status when I did that one.

23. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

Amazon confirmed my arrival dates:

4/26 Gil Evans
    5/3 Joe Henderson

fabre likes this.
  24. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

Just to throw another data point out there, my Amazon pre-order still shows 4/26 for Gil Evans and 5/3 for Joe Henderson. I am also in California, FWIW.

Crispy Rob and Mugrug12 like this.
  25. SpeedracerF

SpeedracerF Forum Resident

I have never really posted anything on this forum yet, mainly just read along. However, I felt compelled to comment when reading the good news that this series is coming back for another year, especially if it will include the Kicker (I'm a sucker for anything that includes Grant Green). The Tone Poet series is everything what a vinyl reissue series should be, it just oozes quality and love for the music all over.

If I may, a request. Any chance we get Donald Byrd - A New Perspective? Such a unique album, even within the Blue Note catalog that is filled with unique albums. I personally find it a crime that such an amazing album has never had an audiophile reissue. It has made me wonder if there perhaps is an issue with the master tape?

rxcory, FashionBoy, Santo10 and 12 others like this.