'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Is that also a Turkish rug?

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  2. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

It’s a very nice Karastan wool rug my wife and I bought some 25 years ago or so. It was one of the first big purchases we made as a married couple, and it has stood the test of time quite well. The dogs love it too.

[​IMG]

3. AmiV

AmiV Forum Resident

Hmmm.. 'Pete La Roca' and 'Turkish rug', the inevitable association is...
    [​IMG]

4. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

this_machine and FunkJazz like this.
  5. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

€240. Wonder how much that'll cost in other countries exactly because on Amazon UK people in the EU still need to add VAT + handling.

I'm not biting anyway. Too costly for a one time purchase.

6. Kimiimacman

Really? That’s sounds odd as £203 includes vat so you’d be paying double tax? When I buy from Amazon.fr or .de I don’t pay anymore tax. Nor from Dodax either.

Dubmart likes this.
  7. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I was thinking of getting that version but since its confirmed to be a TP , ill wait that cover will also be impressive

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

As Kimiimacman says, you should be fine, when I purchase from Amazon France or Germany the VAT is included in their price and I don't have to pay any additional charges.

9. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I never bought anything from Amazon UK since July when things changed, but I have been charged for Amazon.com so I don't know. If that's the case, then I'll start buying some things from Amazon UK. If it stops in customs I'll just let them return the items. Thanks for the heads up!

Dubmart likes this.
  10. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

There's a limit on VAT, if it's under £135/€150, the seller or online platform collects VAT (Amazon includes this in the displayed price, so if you buy from Amazon.fr to UK, or vice versa, you shouldn't have to worry). I don't know how Amazon does it, but if the order value is higher than that threshold, the platform isn't supposed to charge VAT, instead the local tax authority collects it (in our case in the UK, along with some other fees, customs+handling).

Generally I think Amazon is fine for buying stuff like records even from other geos, shipping is quite cheap and usually the orders are way under the VAT threshold, then they take care of all other costs. But I'm not sure how it would work with this box set specifically as it's of course over. Maybe others who have bought more expensive stuff across borders can comment on that. :)

Kimiimacman likes this.
  11. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

I put it through, but didn't finish the order. Looks like they back out the VAT for foreign orders, but no doubt there will be duty and taxes at the other end, at least in Canada. Here is the subtotal:

Order Summary
    Items: £169.44
    Postage & Packing: £13.38
    Order Total: £182.82

12. Kimiimacman

My understanding is that Amazon always collects U.K. vat from any territory so the price I see, say on the USA site in £ (I elect to see £s rather than $) is the price I pay + delivery. If the net value inc delivery is greater than £135, import duty at 2.5% is levied and a collection fee for it is added too; typically £12 which is collected by Royal Mail.

13. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I've been out of the Tone Poet game for a bit but decided this past week to order Katanga! on Amazon for $25 and I'm really glad I did. Unique and addicting music and sounds superb.

Has there been any indication on when represses of older titles are expected to happen?

Crazysteve, mktracy and testingcan like this.
  14. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

Ah, interesting, did you do this recently? They rules have changed a few times this year I think, my understanding of the current setup was that HMRC always takes care of VAT etc for orders >£135, as in @allbrosca 's example above (of course that's the opposite direction, but I think it's meant to be the same both ways).

Kimiimacman likes this.
  15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

When we in the UK purchase from Amazon US Amazon are effectively a customs broker, they collect any VAT and duty owed up front, there shouldn't be any additional collection fees from Royal Mail or couriers, several years ago it did work differently, but that's a long time ago.

Arknine and Kimiimacman like this.
  16. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

This room is a little slice of heaven

17. Josquin des Prez

Thank you. It really is for us (dogs incl.). If you look at my profile Information page, I have a good birds-eye photo of the room. :)

Even one of the dogs is named "Brahms"

Elofan, mktracy and ausgraeme like this.
  18. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Now that is a great album in serious need of reissue

Kimiimacman, ryu, Robotlove and 2 others like this.
  19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Maybe THE funniest thing I have seen all year.

JerryTurcotte, mktracy and Crazysteve like this.
  20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Yeah, he should have. It's not just Kenny G. being different, but when he is doing damage to the art form, crapping all over it, dumbing it down to where it's merely drivel, SOMEONE needed to call him and the media for promoting G's mindless pablum. Metheny's rant was not just aimed at G, but also at the music industry that would enable it.

mktracy, trd and conjotter like this.
  21. Mikylor

Mikylor Active Member

Hello all, I haven't been on for a while. I went back several weeks and wondered if any new tone poets were announced officially or unofficially around here?
    Thanks
    Miky

testingcan likes this.
  22. Josquin des Prez

Announced, yes, but release dates pending due to manufacturing delays.

The BN website has the list of titles planned, but not yet rleased.

23. Josquin des Prez

I was looking at the December round of BN Classic releases. The Herbie Nichols and Jimmy Smith are definite buys. I have an old crusty copy of Home Cookin’ and have never had this Herbie Nichols. I’m on the fence about the Kenny Cox, but will probably pick it up. The Reuben Wilson is a definite pass though. I listened to it on Qobuz, and while it has a strong start, with a great Grant Green solo, I find it becomes pretty boring and uninspired after that.

24. Mikylor

Mikylor Active Member

Thanks, but I cannot see anything past the SCoLoHoFo?

Miky

25. Josquin des Prez

Correct, nothing past that is announced officially. The titles from For Django to ScoLoHoFo have pending release dates.

If you look in this thread the past few days or week, someone did summarize the rumored titles Joe Harley has hinted at.