Tone Poet vs. Classic Series 80

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikePortly, Aug 10, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikePortly

MikePortly Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Sorry if this has been discussed, but what is the BIG difference? I know TP's are heavyweight and all, but are the Classic Series 80th anniversary pressings far inferior or just slightly?

2. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Packaging. Tone Poet are gatefold and thick packaging, pressed at RTI, Classic at Optimal. I love both to be honest, price wise the Classics are hard to resist.

3. RebelWaltz

RebelWaltz Forum Resident

I’ve bought several of each and I don’t really discern any difference in sound quality. They’re both really well done. The recent Classic release of Out to Lunch! is superb and would get stellar reviews even if it cost 60% more.

4. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I bought the most of both series. I can say that pressing quality is the biggest difference to me. Only had a one slightly dished TP (which plays fine btw) and at least 4 records from the classic series ridden with non-fill and scuff marks.

ausgraeme likes this.
  5. CAP

CAP Forum Resident

I have a small number of both and I would say packaging from the ones I have. the BN80's I have are fine and the pressings are decent. I had zero issues with non-fill or any other pressing problems with either. BNC series is another story all together, sadly.

6. Adagio

Adagio Forum Resident

Just noticed this thread....

I have most of the Tone Poets and about a dozen BN 80/ BN Classic releases

There is something about the TP that sounds slightly better than the BN 80 or BN Classic series. Thy both sound amazing, but I find that
    the TP have a slight more life-like clarity.

It might be simply the pressing plant and the vinyl that's used.

The TP have also been slightly more consistent in terms of pressing quality

7. Kumocat

Kumocat Jazz Cat

Both are very strong and to be honest when a BNC is pressed perfectly I don't hear the difference in sound quality. Two days ago I played the record A Fickle Sonace by Jackie McLean and that record sounds as good as any other TP would do. Since Optimal is back with their QC I say both are even. No difference except the gatefold cover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.