Tonearm advice under 8k with removable headshell

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Oelewapper, Mar 26, 2023.

1. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

2. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Just read that my Grado Statement3 will not benefit from Korf low resonance headshell, it is info by Korf, as apparently some cartridges sound better with higher resonance headshells.. Weird, but saves me $$ )).

FuzzyNightmares likes this.
  3. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

I get it, the responses were quite defensive, although op asked for help with a specific set of criteria and people started picking his criteria apart rather than helping find solutions. I’d also be annoyed if I said I want help finding a 2a3 set amp and people started arguing that they produce too much heat and I should go with a class D amp or something along those lines.

googlymoogly likes this.
  4. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Except it would be too long, or did they make a shorter version too?

5. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Loved my Denon/SAEC combo way back.

maycontainmultitudes likes this.
  6. C10

C10 eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may die

I might work, since the base just sets down. Likely some cover where the OEM tonearm mount is should do the trick.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  7. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Did @Oelewapper say what turntable/plinth this was for? I may have missed that. It's a 10" tonearm designed to go with the SP-10Mk2 (and the later EPA-100 Mk2 was sold with the SP-10Mk3).

EDIT: If he's considering putting it on his SL-1200G, then I don't know the answer to that. The fitted arm is only 9" though.

8. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor. Thread Starter

Yes, this is a definitely a valid concern and it brings additional challenges to the tonearm design.
    This goes for a anything standardized really, it always puts a design into a certain framework allowing less "creative freedom" for a designer... for better or worse... but simply casting aside anything related to standardization because of that would be throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

9. Oelewapper

I've checked EPA-100/250 arms in the past, idk exactly how it turned out anymore, but IIRC, they were incompatible with a 1200G because of the VTA tower.

snorker likes this.
  10. tryitfirst

tryitfirst supatrac.com

Hang on a second, it was the OP who said this:

In that context it's not unreasonable that people are discussing whether the absolute requirement for the light bulb socket is wise when trying to spend $8k on a tone-arm.

If I were to specify that I was looking for an ocean yacht made entirely from sugar and was not interested in other kinds, and bemoaning the limited choice and current fashion for non-soluble hulls, I think I could expect one or two unhelpful trolls to mention wide availability of the dreaded fibre composites, regardless of my insistence on sugar. Just kidding ;-)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  11. Oelewapper

Yes, it's definitely disappointing... it's not like I'm looking for something impossible.
    And if I didn't have those "hard to find" requirements for an arm, I wouldn't need to consult these forums in the first place.
    Because there are plenty good options to choose from when you "just want a great arm that fits your deck".

12. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Korf and Schick are where I’d look.

But both are decidedly in the mid-high to high mass category.

Oelewapper likes this.
  13. tryitfirst

tryitfirst supatrac.com

...and I'm being sincere when I say make one. There's an inspiring thread on lencoheaven running to 100+ pages where about twenty different DIY tone-arms have been skilfully constructed or bodged together using a certain easy-to-DIY revolutionarily simple bearing design, and the makers invariably come on to the thread to report superb and unprecedented results. It might take you a couple of rainy afternoons, but there's nothing like the pride of ownership you feel when you built it yourself and it sounds better than a lot of expensive conventional high-end meh. Don't dream it, be it.

14. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

You can get the Schick down to eff mass of 23-24 using a very light headshell, not the Schick headshell.

FalseMetal666 likes this.
  15. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Ignoring what you are asking for completely, I did see this thread discussing using Triplanar arms on the 1200G along with modding them up. You've probably seen it.
    Audiogon Discussion Forum

16. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

New Project 9/10/12 & Graham made by Project
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TheVinylAddict and popol_vuh like this.
  17. Oelewapper

I reallocated a higher budget: 10K
    Still the same requirements of which removable headshells with SME connector is the most important one.
    I intend it to be an endgame tonearm, hence the (to me) high budget allocation.
    I hope anyone has some suggestions.
    Strongly prefer buying new when it comes to tonearms.

18. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Rats, after two months I was hoping you'd be posting pics of the one you decided on... :)

Heck, let's make it $16K if you're just window shopping anyways! :D

19. Oelewapper

It’ll be just window shopping until I’ve found what I’ve been looking for… from what I’ve seen so far it might take a long time…

20. TheVinylAddict

You should start a thread.... oh wait, you did. :)

Seriously, you're telling me you have $8K, now $10K to spend on a new tonearm, and can't find *anything* that passes muster? What's the major requirements being missed and / or showstoppers in summary at this point?

21. Oelewapper

Well, the Dynavector DV 507 MKII fits the bill perfectly, but it’s really hard to find one new over here in the Netherlands (actually did some inquiries at various web stores, which were fake/outdated listings) and I don’t feel like dealing with international shipping concerning higher value items.
    It also seems that they stopped production of those…

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  22. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

SAEC reintroduced their highly popular WE-407/23 a few years ago under the new name WE-4700, and a pretty high new price too, not sure if it's under the limit. Really nice arms ... サエクコマース -SAEC-

[​IMG]

TheVinylAddict and Oelewapper like this.
  23. TheVinylAddict

So a shortlist of one... :) That's actually a good thing in some ways. That international shipping aversion seems like a small hurdle / barrier to overcome if it's the only thing stopping you from getting the *one* you want!!

But then again, I don't know the duty taxes over there.... and for the first time *ever* Fedex charged me 17% duty COD a couple months back for an item shipped from Japan (I'm in US).... the other 30 or 40 purchases, no duty tax.... it has me weary and on guard now too. But you're looking at a specialty item that probably won't materialize unless you bite the bullet.... :)

I mean, you said it "fits the bill perfectly" and other than that finding another will "take a long time to find"..... again, at least you know what you want.

I know, enabling.... I guess I just want to hear from someone that tried a $10K tonearm too... would be fun to hear about.

Aftermath and Oelewapper like this.
  24. Oelewapper

I’m still on the fence with regards to knife edge bearings, since I know very little about those, but it looks very promising!

25. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Consider a 850D Jelco but you may only find it used. I like my Jelco 750E arms.

They should be way under your $8K limit.

Unfortunately new SME type arms are pretty rare nowadays.