Tonearm mounts

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Old Zorki II, Aug 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher Thread Starter

Is there a place were different mount templates are compared or simply listed? So you can see which pre-drilled boards are comparable or if you have a mount- what arm this mount is for.
    My google skills did not let me find it )) :help:

2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

I've never seen such a place.

jeff

Old Zorki II likes this.
  3. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Tonearm armboards usually 3 main Types Sme , Rega & Project/Linn/Jelco

Old Zorki II likes this.
  4. Old Zorki II

But what if I have a different brand tonearm, how will I know which mount will it fit? )) I know SME kind of different from others, as well as Rega. Does it mean that all others can be used with Project mount? Or more variations do exist?

5. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

You need to find an arm that is the same length and has about the same spindle to pivot distance. It doesn't have to be exact but close as the headshell will allow for small differences.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  6. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

As Mike points out, the spindle to pivot distance is the most important factor. It doesn't matter if the arm fits the existing mount hole or not.

jeff

Optimize and Old Zorki II like this.
  7. Old Zorki II

I see. Still will b nice to have some kind of compatibility guide... like ‘you can replace Rega with origin live’ ( I know you can)

Randoms likes this.
  8. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

They are certainly the most popular, adopted by many companies. You can see the relative sizes on these LP12 armboards. I think these are correct, but please check.

SME
    [​IMG]

Rega / Origin Live / Audio Note / Roksan etc.
    [​IMG]

Linn / Pro- Ject / Jelco / Alphason / Syrinx etc.
    [​IMG]

Naim
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Old Zorki II likes this.
  9. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

What tonearm or Turntable do you have or plan to use

KT88 likes this.
  10. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

You can start a compatibility guide.

If you are clueless then you should get a dealer to install the arm you want to use after you do the research which I recommend after reading your posts.

11. Old Zorki II

I got a lot of needed info from this thread, thanks.
    And yes, I can hire a pro to do all that. But I need try myself first. )) It is hobby anyway )))

12. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

There really isn't a need for it as there are an infinite number of possibilities for tonearm and turntable combinations. Some turntables use armboards, some do not, hell most do not.

All you need to know if you have a turntable which has an armboard is what size armboard fits. Armboards can be made of many materials. Wood is most common, or perhaps acrylic these days. Alternatively, a thick aluminum plate can also be used. Then you need to know what tonearm it is that you will be mounting. Look up that tonearm spec to see what the pivot to spindle distance is and what size hole needs to be drilled / cut into the arm board. Then the weight of the tonearm. You should choose an armboard material where the combined weight of the board and arm can be balanced by the turntable if the turntable has a spring suspension. If the table does not have a spring suspension, then you can use any armboard material as the weight will not matter.

You may have to have someone cut the arm mounting hole for you, based on the table and arm. People that make armboards for sale have old armboards that they use as guides. You can do that as well if you have one on your table that you want a new arm mounted on. Basically, you'll just need to buy or make a blank armboard, then measure the pivot to spindle distance and mark the board, while it is mounted, at the location where the hole will be centered and or where the arm length will fit inside of the dust cover. Then remove the blank and drill it or otherwise cut the mounting hole or holes.
    -Bill

13. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Linn manufacturer the Kinky, which works with any arm that uses Linn geometry. There is always a little free play so it can be set perfectly.

[​IMG]

14. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You can get some direct suggestions if you would indicate what turntable you are looking for an armboard for. And of course if you know the arm, then it could be more specific.
    -Bill

Old Zorki II likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.