Tony Bennett and Diana Krall duet album due in September 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jul 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illinoisteve

illinoisteve Forum Resident

I thought the first Bennett-Krall duet at the Rockefeller Center Xmas Tree Lighting ceremony was also very bad, but mainly because Krall's voice sounded dry, unresonant, and at times off-key. I know she can sing, so I tried to brainstorm reasons why:
    -- she was really poorly miked
    -- the monitor speakers or earphones were bad or set up wrong, meaning she couldn't hear the band well (could also explain Tony starting a phrase she was to start if he too couldn't hear her)
    -- she was ill and should have cancelled her participation
    -- some combination of the above.

Her singing was much better on the second duet, suggesting that some technical glitches were fixed between the performances--not to say the second duet couldn't have been better, too, though.

The songs might have needed to have been better rehearsed out-of-doors prior to the performance. It might have been a case of very busy people throwing something together at the last minute, and not doing it so well.

... I was also disappointed that Krall wasn't playing piano and singing with Tony (him sitting on the piano bench next to her would have been cool), but then she might not be as good of an accompanist for the arrangements Tony knew. Accompanying herself on her own albums and accompanying somebody else are really quite different projects!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  2. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

I saw Krall live on stage years ago in Munich. After the third song I left the building...

3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Um, we GET it...OK? We get it. :sigh:

Daveymoore and pghmusiclover like this.
  4. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Tough seeing Tony get old. But he has given us so many great recordings over the years. I have seen Diana Krall 6 times in concert. Every time she has been EXCELLENT.

5. illinoisteve

illinoisteve Forum Resident

I thought they were pretty good on the PBS special shown Friday. Krall sounded more like what I expected in those filmed recording sessions. More dynamics than would carry in an outdoor setting, like the Rock Ctr thing. Tony's voice actually sounded stronger and fuller than what I recall of a televised show he did a year or two ago.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Tony was magnificent last night at RCMH.

kennyluc1 and paulmock like this.
  7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Hello Ron! Where have you been? Was just thinking of you (quite positively!!!!) just the other day. :D

Saw clips of the performance. IMHO it seems like Tony has taken to "play acting" his songs now. Especially "This is All I Ask".

Ronald Sarbo likes this.
  8. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Paul: Thanks. He knew we would erupt when he sang "As I approach the prime of my life" and of course we did. There was a lot of emotion in his voice last night; more than usual.

On a personal note I had this compelling feeling yesterday that I had to see him. I found myself walking to RCMH and got a great aisle seat in the orchestra....the only aisle seat left.

He did "San Francisco" by itself....."I Wanna Be Around" was a no-show which surprised me. But he basically did all his other hits including "Cold Cold Heart" with piano.

Sad to have to pass thru a metal detector to get into RCMH but this is the times we live in.

kennyluc1 and paulmock like this.
  9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

@Ronald Sarbo "On a personal note I had this compelling feeling yesterday that I had to see him. I found myself walking to RCMH and got a great aisle seat in the orchestra....the only aisle seat left." That has been me for the past 15 years or so. Each time it's like "This is the final time!" for me. I will most likely be doing the same thing on July 10th when I take the short walk from my apartment to the Hollywood Bowl box office. All those years of concerts from June 17, 1972 thru (hopefully) July 10, 2019.

Incredible memories. :love:

Ronald Sarbo likes this.
  10. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

Picked up the LP edition of this title last night, and was pleasantly surprised. It's a beautiful album, warm and well-recorded, with tasteful, straightforward arrangements and great performances from both vocalists. Tony and Diana sing well together, and their vocals complement each other. Also super neat to see a coordinated release between Universal and Sony (although it appears that Sony deferred to Universal for distribution). I haven't read through this entire discussion yet but I plan to. Do we know the genesis for this album? I'm going to hazard a guess that it was Krall who requested to make this duet album (I'm also going to guess that Universal owns the masters). Any info appreciated.

11. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Haven't heard the album. Did they pick up the tempo much? Diana hardly ever does (judging by her solo material that I've heard). For me, too many slow songs in a row can sink an album like a stone.

phillyal1 and .crystalised. like this.
  12. .crystalised.

Too many slows in a row certainly sinks Quiet Nights. Most of the performances on this album are at a relaxed pace but Tony's presence makes all the difference. This package managed to hold my attention throughout. I thought it lovely. There's a really nice candid of the two artists sharing a laugh in the studio on the inner sleeve. Pressing is good quality and the Verve label is an elegant gold print on dark grey.

phillyal1 and Folknik like this.
  13. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

:DKrall sounds like the 90years old of the two

14. .crystalised.

Gold on brown label, actually. I was looking at it by candlelight on the first night. Further thoughts about the recording -- nice midrange bloom, you can tell the piano is a Steinway (and if you can't, there's a threefold plug for them in the notes anyway). I hate how the piano is miked though, and the mix makes it seem like Tony and Diana are singing from inside the piano. This, if intentional, was a clever style choice. But it makes the piano sound as if it's inside-out from a listener's perspective. That's what happens when instruments get covered with 20+ mics these days. Oh well, it's a minor issue for me, because the content is great.

I miss the days when a single pickup was situated four feet away from the piano, or even better, down the hall for a sense of space.

The reverb used on the vocals is nice. I wouldn't mind if there had been slightly more.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  15. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Reported in a TB Fan Club on FB. TB fell down twice at a concert last night. Also, reported he was coughing and sneezing into the microphone. Hope he is ok.

16. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I mean...he's not. Let's just hope this isn't...that.

Ed

paulmock likes this.
  17. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Can't find anything about this in official news

paulmock likes this.
  18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I have seen nothing of that at all! Please post the alleged report. Tony has been well- known not to set foot on the stage if he has as much as a cold. This sounds VERY fishy to me!!!!!

.crystalised., roda12 and Nostaljack like this.
  19. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Paul I sent it to you on FB.

20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

And I responded to you both IM's that the attachment was unavailable. Post here please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.