Tony Bennett:The Complete Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frankfan1, Aug 19, 2011.

1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

While I appreciate all that Gaga has done for bringing Tony "back" one more time. I must admit that I have never had much excitement about their collaborations. I haven't played either of their previous albums in a long, long time. Just not my style.

Now that I have possibly crapped on the party, I will say this, back on a Summer's night in 2017 at the Hollywood Bowl, Gaga was a "surprise" walk-on near the end of the performance. The 18,000 fans at the sold out hallowed hall immediately stood and gave a raucous ovation when she joined Tony onstage. From that point on the entire complexion of the show changed from a typical Bennett exchange between performer and fans into an enormous all-out PARTY! It was quite incredible to experience.

ModernBingFan0377 and BuutyChin like this.
  2. ModernBingFan0377

ModernBingFan0377 Crosby ‘Connoisseur’

Ironically, as I am now becoming a fan of his, I never really liked his version of the song and liked others much better, and I think it turned me away from him for a while.

Similar thing here with Frank as those, along with some others of basic Frank turned me away from him as a singer.

I'm thankful to have found albums of both of them that made me realize what great artists they are.

paulmock likes this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I know "to each his own", of course.

But that does seem strange to me.

RSteven and ModernBingFan0377 like this.
  4. ModernBingFan0377

I do not blame you for thinking that, and I have grown to like Tony's version more with each listen, but it really threw me off since I had already heard Bing's version many times by the time of my first listen of Tony's. That combined with it being my first listen to Tony, and really expecting a lot from what I had heard about him, gathered up to me having very high expectations for it.

Artur Torres and Kiss73 like this.
  5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Oddly enough, my favorite rendition of "In San Francisco" is Dean Martin's. It is a great arrangement but the arranger not listed on the album in which it appears. Unfortunately, it is a "live performance" and Dean does tad of his "drunk act" for a few seconds during it, but overall the arrangement and Dean's singing of the tune are really beautiful. I wish he had recorded it in the studio. But my guess is that (as with Mr. S) he knew the song was Tony's signature piece and stayed away from recording it.

Tony's original recording is a turn-off for some not by performance (which is beyond perfection) but by the nasty Columbia echo chamber. Some "soundies" on this Forum praise the late recording engineer for his brilliance with "the knobs". Personally, I find it annoying as hell. In performance during his impressions, Sammy Davis' impression of Tony was just that...ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssmothered in SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS's. I think that says a lot.

jtsjc1 and ModernBingFan0377 like this.
  6. ModernBingFan0377

I wonder if the reverb was part of it on that first listen, as it was such a long while ago.

Dean's version is also very good, the arrangement is very much a less is more approach and really works in it's favor. I think that Bing also strayed from recording it for the same reason, his was from TV and on the Among My Souvenirs album put out by his family, it sounds particularly good, with just some applause at the end. Speaking of Mr. S, while his is a good version, his version really disappoints me, his performance of the chorus is fine, although beyond missing the opening verse, Nelson Riddle's (I assume it's his) arrangement doesn't do too much for me.

7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Mr. S knew it...pulled it shortly after it's 45RPM release. And yes, it is Nelson's arrangement.

ModernBingFan0377 likes this.
  8. ModernBingFan0377

Really it's a shame, because I feel like he could've done a really good version, but it was very respectful of him to pull it knowing of Tony's version.

9. ModernBingFan0377

Back onto more Tony things, I watched his 85th birthday concert at the London Palladium as my first Tony concert I've listened to/watched, and it made me realize something, Tony’s way with a concert is very reminiscent, to me, of Bing’s way with a concert, ironic with 4 weeks of Bing’s concerts in ‘76 and ‘77 being spent at the Palladium. Tony’s persona in a concert setting also very much reminds me of Bing’s casual way between songs giving anecdotes etc.. I Got Rhythm in this concert is very reminiscent to how Now You Has Jazz would appear in Bing’s concerts with the introductions of the quartet and everything, it was a fun experience to watch that concert. I know there are higher praised concerts out there, but the way I look at it, the best is yet to come ;), sorry for the cheesy joke but I saw the opportunity!

BuutyChin likes this.
  10. ModernBingFan0377

I've listened to these albums so far;

Cloud 7
    The Beat Of My Heart
    The Movie Song Album
    Who Can I Turn To
    The Silver Lining
    Cheek To Cheek
    Steppin' Out
    The Silver Lining

So far my favorite would have to be tied with Who Can I Turn To and The Silver Lining both are great albums, and I can't wait to dig into more albums.

BuutyChin and hodgo like this.
  11. BuutyChin

BuutyChin Well-Known Member

Awesome, I recommend Perfectly Frank and Heres to the Ladies

12. BuutyChin

Love For Sale hit #1 on iTunes
    And Cheek 2 Cheek entered Top 10

RSteven and ModernBingFan0377 like this.
  13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Due to severe distribution issues from Target (using the UPS to USPS delivery system) I just now received the CD. The LP (which was shipped from another part of the country) is still in limbo somewhere allegedly in the hands of USPS somewhere in Southern CA. Unbelievable!!!!

BTW, the 1st thing I noticed when I removed the CD from the envelope was the sticker on the back of the jewel case in bold green letters that read "DISC MADE IN MEXICO"!

14. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

You might be interested to know that for many, many years Tony in "live" performances was quite short with commentary to his audiences. He was very thankful and appreciative, but it was not until he was well underway with his "Second Career" (and just using the Ralph Sharon Trio as accompaniment) that he warmed up and began to really speak to the audience.

15. ModernBingFan0377

I had noticed that with some of the live recordings I listened to, it's, excuse another Bing reference, very similar to Bing's early days of radio. Bing was still getting used to the audience and didn't fully become comfortable with the audience until the '40s.

16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

There is not much video or film of young Tony circulating, but all evidence suggests that Tony was enthralled with performing live on stage in front of audiences.

Bing was not, thus the decades of no concerts or club appearances. I have no problem with that, as Bing left many recordings and films.

17. ModernBingFan0377

No definitely there are differences and I agree, I should've put much more emphasis on the repartee with the audience.

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That is what separates the real pro's from the amateurs. I would say that most true professional entertainers have that ability.

19. BuutyChin

Mine as well I've only been able to stream it my physical versions are in Limbo atm

paulmock and ModernBingFan0377 like this.
  20. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

21. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

I am really enjoying the new album. Much better than their first collaboration and I’m happy to see plenty of songs on here that Tony hasn’t recorded.

ModernBingFan0377 and BuutyChin like this.
  22. BuutyChin

Welp, my Love for Sale limited edition box set finally arrived.
    I'll probably wind up posting pictures and a track by track review later. Cant wait to finally hear this on Vinyl

shicorp and colormesinatra like this.
  23. BuutyChin

So, the Setlist for the TV Airing of One Last Time has been revealed.

https://twitter.com/ladygaganownet/status/1455965687621509126?t=lqmtoAWigRq4evQ5ZxoNhQ&s=19

Hopefully we'll get a audio release or full release of the concert because as it stands both Tony's and Gaga's sets were drastically cut down

Lady Gaga
    Luck Be A Lady
    Orange Colored Sky
    Let's Do It
    New York, New York

Tony Bennett
    Watch What Happens
    Steppin Out
    Fly Me To The Moon
    I Left My Heart In San Francisco

Both
    Lady is a Tramp
    Love For Sale
    Anything Goes

24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

It is inevitable that there will be an album release of this concert. Their latest album is being hyped as their "Final STUDIO Album", so that says it all right there.

25. BuutyChin