Tony Bennett:The Complete Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frankfan1, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Thanks.

And that averages about $5 per disc with free shipping.

On most websites, with a minimum of $3.99 per disc just for shipping, if you were able to order these one at a time, the shipping alone would be over $300. But you cannot!

Still a bargain at $399.

When B&N stops selling this, it really will go for about $2,000 plus.

Are Tony fans STILL waiting?

Bob F likes this.
  2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Worth a repost:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Amazingly, B&N’s price is unchanged more than a decade later.

paulmock likes this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

For quite some time, I thought it was the wrong idea to make this an exclusive to one dealer. Though that likely reduced the frequency of getting discounts, it also seems to have had a surprising effect of keeping it in print for all this time.

Most mega-boxsets go out of print very quickly, including in jazz and popular singing.

However, I do believe that B&N fell flat on advertising. It is amazing how many people, including Tony fans, are completely unaware of its existence and where to get it.

Some who learn about the box, go to Amazon and eBay and immediately get scared off by the greatly inflated prices from dealers who take advantage of this lack of knowledge. Maybe even the dealers think it is rare and out of print.

As some of the original buyers have now moved on to the next realm, I bet there have been some lucky buyers at estate sales who got this set for $50 or even $20!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    Bob F likes this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I do not recall seeing any advertising or any notice of this set in all of the massive publicity and commentary around the time of Tony's farewell performance.

paulmock likes this.
  5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Amazingly, I just checked and it is allegedly "in store & available" in several Los Angeles area B&N stores! I have no need for the box set as I have everything in it and more but it looks like the previous statement made to me by a B&N rep about carrying the extra weight of the non-selling box set is incorrect.

frankfan1 likes this.
  6. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok Thread Starter

Can it really be that this set is a decade old?

It seems like yesterday that I sneaked it into the house while my wife was asleep.

live evil and jamiesjamies like this.
  7. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

A few out here in NJ also claim to have them in stock Paul.

paulmock likes this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You also have all the singles (6CDs) and the rarities (2CDs) and the Live at the Sahara CD (previously unreleased)?

Of course there were more tracks excluded from this box that circulate among collectors, or were previously issued.

But having the CD editions of the singles is better than most of the original 45s with all of their very common flaws.

To me, this box set is a must for dedicated Tony fans. Many of the original LPs that have never been reissued on CD before this box also sound better in this set.

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Did she like your surprise in the morning when you gave it to her with a dozen roses?

Drifter likes this.
  10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I have 8 CDR's of what was left off of the alleged "Complete" collection.

11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Several of the never before released on CD are available on Amazon which are copies taken from the box set.

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

This one? which is very incomplete

[​IMG]

I would still say that the box is supreme and better.

Check for the special discounts.

I forget whether it is a B&N Rewards membership or whatever they call it.

13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

No. Later albums from his prime years of the mid to late 60's...and relatively inexpensive.

14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Many of these were issued by Sony after the box set.

paulmock likes this.
  15. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Well after finding my local B&N had it in the store I finally decided to purchase it. They took 50% off and I used my member discount so I also paid under $200. I have a number of Tony's albums but not nearly as much as this set has so it was definitely worth it. This set will never be re-released and I'd never spend secondary market prices. If anyone knows where to get the missing tracks in one place please message me. Thanks everybody for the in depth discussions you convinced me!

paulmock likes this.
  16. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

WOW! Did you ask for the discount or was it just offered to you? CONGRATS!

jtsjc1 likes this.
  17. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Thanks Paul no they just told me it was 50% off and member discount I didn't have to ask. I guess they've had them in stock so long they'll take what they can get.

paulmock likes this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

78 discs for $200

superb

even at $400 it is a good deal

19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

An incredible $2.57 per disc. PLUS the accompanying hard cover booklet!:edthumbs:

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Time for everybody to go to their local B&N

jtsjc1 likes this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Maybe it will be gone soon.

22. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

A little over $179 before tax. I would absolutely try your local B&N if you're interested and see what you get. There's a couple other stores not far from me in NJ also showing stock. I got the suitcase as a gift when it came out and my wife paid about $400 for 20 discs.

paulmock likes this.
  23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

OH DEAR! What is WRONG with me?????? :shake: For shyts & giggles I just happened to check again on availability in B&N stores in the L.A. area and lo and behold the set was now available in the store nearest me (2.5 miles away)! It was not showing available any recent times I have checked since this sale began. So you know what I did, right? It is now sitting on my dining room table!!!! I got it for the aforementioned $179.99 plus tax.

I think I'll keep it sealed as I have no real reason to open the thing except to read the book. Maybe...

roda12, jtsjc1 and scoredaddy like this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I am really into symmetry.

It will look so much better if you get a second copy for your display.

Get some balance in your life.

roda12 likes this.
  25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Right now I feel mentally UN-balanced for buying the thing.