Tony Bennett:The Complete Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frankfan1, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Disc 29: When Lights Are Low

Disc 29: When Lights Are Low

Original Album: CS 8975 (Columbia LP)
    Released: 1964
    Recorded: Mar. 26–27, 1964 (Track #8: Feb. 26, 1964)
    With: The Ralph Sharon Trio
    Arranger: Ralph Sharon

1. Nobody Else But Me
    2. When Lights Are Low
    3. On Green Dolphin Street
    4. Ain't Misbehavin'
    5. It's A Sin To Tell A Lie
    6. I've Got Just About Everything
    7. Judy
    8. Oh! You Crazy Moon
    9. Speak Low
    10. It Had To Be You
    11. It Could Happen To You
    12. The Rules Of The Road
    TB29A.jpg TB29B.jpg

cicadabro likes this.
  2. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

LONG, LONG AGO it was a rare event for Tony to sing with just a small group. The Ralph Sharon Trio had been featured within the orchestral arrangements on many of Tony's recordings, but rarely alone with him. On top of that, Tony always appeared in live performances with a big band or a large orchestra. So, needless to say, this album "made noise"! It puts Tony in a whole new atmosphere...warm, soft and romantic. It is one of the finest vocal/small jazz combo recordings ever made. To it's betterment, Tony recorded this in a small studio in Las Vegas so the big "church reverb" is non-existant. So it has a real "snuggle up" feeling to it.

Without a doubt, if I was told I could only listen to ONE Tony Bennett record for the rest of my life this would be the one I'd choose. *****

cicadabro and drew phillips like this.
  3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I did not know that! Thanks.

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

My favorite album of Tony's. I could never understand why this was obscure on CD in the U.S., especially as time went on and he became well known to sing with a small group in live performances, either as on this album or including guitar. Amazing album. Not a wasted second.

5. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Somehow I missed this one, Paul. Bob, Martin and yourself calling attention to it has prompted me to listen and having done so - thank you! :righton:

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The acoustics are marvelous on WHEN LIGHTS ARE LOW.

Note that this was recorded in Las Vegas just two weeks before the famous unreleased Sahara concert. We won't get to that until Disc 74, but three of these tracks ("It's a Sin to Tell a Lie," "Ain't Misbehavin'" and "Rules of the Road") appear on the live album in identical trio arrangements. The sonic difference is striking: The instrumentals are washed together on the Sahara stage, while the trio detail is distinct and intimate on these studio versions (piano left; bass and drums right; vocal center).

cicadabro likes this.
  7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I believe that "So Long" footage was used in (or originated from) a Harold Arlen documentary. "Joanna" was recorded at the same session, conducted by Marty Manning. I've searched but haven't found any more video online.

8. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Ugh. Glad my copy is mono.

9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The stereo version is very nice, with Tony close and up front, and the trio not too distant from each other. The bass and piano sound like they should in an intimate live setting.

The Sahara live trio backgrounds are practically mono, and I can tell you they are a much LESS pleasant listening experience. IMO. To each his own. :)

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I'm blessed to own both mono and stereo original print LP's. Both are outstanding sonically. I could listen to either one and be 110% satisfied.

Be advised, "Oh You Crazy Moon" was not recorded in Vegas, but at the 30th St. Studios at an earlier session (along with "How Long Has This Been Goin' On", "All of You", and "We'll Be Together Again". Engineers Frank Laico and Robert Waller did an excellent job in "blending" the "Moon" track into the intimate sound of the Vegas studio.`

11. Chris Phasey

Chris Phasey Forum Resident

When Lights Are Low

I bought this some time mid to late 60's in a "used" shop -, having never heard of it before and was knocked out by it - Judy! Imagine someone had bought it and then been able to pass it on in mint condition! Pity the 3 bonus tracks are not included - or the extra one included on disc 1 - so many of these songs still feature in Tony's concerts today.

12. scoredaddy

scoredaddy Forum Resident

Agreed on WHEN LIGHTS ARE LOW... TB's best album, bar none.

13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Disc 30: Who Can I Turn To

Disc 30: Who Can I Turn To

Original Album: CS 9085 (Columbia LP)
    Released: 1964
    Recorded: Aug. 14; Sep. 4, 29; Oct. 14, 1964
    Arranger: George Siravo

1. Who Can I Turn To (When Nobody Needs Me)
    2. Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams (And Dream Your Troubles Away)
    3. There's A Lull In My Life
    4. Autumn Leaves
    5. I Walk A Little Faster
    6. The Brightest Smile In Town
    7. I've Never Seen
    8. Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea
    9. Listen, Little Girl
    10. Got The Gate On The Golden Gate
    11. Waltz For Debby
    12. The Best Thing To Be Is A Person
    TB30A.jpg TB30B.jpg

Eric Carlson and cicadabro like this.
  14. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Oh! What a "tasty" album this is. Tony continues down the path of near-perfection with two distinct voicings here. First is the new (to Tony) arrangements of George Siravo...who oddly gets credit on the cover by his last name only. Second is the continued use of the Ralph Sharon Trio openly within the arrangements which fits Tony like the finest golfing glove. There are some less-than-familiar tunes here that Tony has taken and made his own...like "The Best Thing to Be is a Person", "Got the Gate..." and "I've Never Seen". My two favorites here are the bluesy "Brightest Smile in Town" and probably the finest version of "Wrap Your Trouble in Dreams" ever done. The way Tony sings the verse alone is worth the price of the album!

It's nice to see Sony/Tony went back to the original LP cover. In previous CD reissues of this album a less-than-flattering from the rear side profile from the same photo session was used. Over the years various reissues of the LP showed different shading and "touch ups" to the original release cover photo.

Eric Carlson and cicadabro like this.
  15. Chris Phasey

Chris Phasey Forum Resident

who can I turn to

immaculate

16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

"Music by Siravo"

Siravo was a very underrated arranger. He is probably best known for his work for Frank Sinatra in the '40s and early '50s. Notable among his Sinatra charts were the uptempo hit Columbia singles "Saturday Night" (1944) and "All of Me" (1947), Sinatra's last Columbia album SING AND DANCE WITH FRANK SINATRA (1950), and his first Capitol album SONGS FOR YOUNG LOVERS (1954).

Most of the Capitol LP was adapted by Nelson Riddle from Siravo's small combo arrangements for Sinatra's nightclub performances, but only Riddle received credit on the album cover. Reportedly, Siravo nursed a grudge about this for many years, and it was actually Tony Bennett who helped to pass along Riddle's apologies to Siravo and reconcile the two men in later years.

Sim2 and cicadabro like this.
  17. scoredaddy

18. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Siravo at this time also did many arrangements for Jimmy Roselli. The "Who Can I Turn To" album sounds like a Roselli album.

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Disc 31: If I Ruled The World (Songs For The Jet Set)

Disc 31: If I Ruled The World (Songs For The Jet Set)

Original Album: CS 9143 (Columbia LP)
    Released: 1965
    Recorded: Jan. 4; Feb. 18–19; Mar. 11, 1965
    Arranger: Don Costa

1. Song Of The Jet (Samba do aviao)
    2. Fly Me To The Moon (In Other Words)
    3. How Insensitive
    4. If I Ruled The World
    5. Love Scene
    6. Take The Moment
    7. Then Was Then And Now Is Now
    8. Sweet Lorraine [also on Disc 1: Rarities, Outtakes & Other Delights, Vol. 1]
    9. The Right To Love
    10. Watch What Happens
    11. All My Tomorrows
    12. Two By Two
    13. Falling In Love With Love*
    *Bonus track

TB31A.jpg TB31B.jpg

20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Auditioning the two "Sweet Lorraine" tracks side by side, they are identical except for mastering. The inclusion on Disc 1 is a mystery, as it's neither a rarity, an outtake, nor a delight.

The only thing special about this track is that it was recorded at CBS Studio 2 in Chicago—several weeks after the rest of the album was cut at the 30th Street "church" in NYC. (I think it's the only TB studio track ever recorded in Chicago.) To me, it doesn't fit the album in either concept or orchestration (or reverberation :)).

Artur Torres likes this.
  21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I'm not sure the "jet set" concept works, but there are some beautiful songs on this album. Don Costa's string arrangements are gorgeous, and the Al Cohn tenor solos are especially nice. I very much like the leadoff "Song of the Jet," a seldom-heard Jobim number, as well as Jobim's "How Insensitive."

And (with all due respect to Sinatra and Basie), "Fly Me To The Moon (In Other Words)" was just meant to be sung as a ballad, with its verse, the way Tony does it here.

Sim2 likes this.
  22. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

one of my favorites:edthumbs:

23. scoredaddy

"Jet Set" is full of great tracks but "Love Scene" is THE special moment for me. By the way, I really DO think that "Sweet Lorraine" is a delight...although not so much that it requires two appearances on the new box!

24. I have a nice WLP of the Jet Set album that I love..."How Insensitive" is probably my favorite recording by him.

25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Can't speak for this CD but I'll bet it is identical to an earlier released version.

On the LP, "Song of the Jet" is climaxed with the sound of a large jet touching down on a runway. In stereo, it plays superbly to the mid 60's "sound effects" used on albums. The jet goes clear across your living room! I guess Tony/Sony & Co. wanted to let you hear Tony's long-held note on "ground" rather than let the CD kick-off with a "jet set"..."We've just arrived for vacation!" feeling. Too bad.

As far as "Sweet Lorraine" goes, I've never heard it mentioned as such, but here's my take on it...There were 11 songs in the can for this LP. That's enough for mid 60's standards. On Feb 15th, 1965 Tony lost his dear, dear friend Nat Cole. Something tells me he wanted to pay tribute to Nat on his new album. Hence the perhaps hastily put together session in Chicago a less than a month later.

Bob, please go back and give "Sweet Lorraine" a good listening-to. There isn't much joy in Tony's voice when he sings "I've just found joy..." To me, you can hear this man singing thru a ton of pain trying to pay tribute to his just departed friend by singing one of his signature songs. :cry:

cicadabro likes this.