Tony Bennett:The Complete Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frankfan1, Aug 19, 2011.

1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

The "sweetening" goes as far back as The Art of Romance.

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have tried to auto-tune my wife, but I must be doing something wrong. Maybe there is some other way to sweeten her voice. Tony's earlier records used to work.

Evan L and Beaneydave like this.
  3. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

I've seen Diana Krall many times in concert and she has always been very good.
    While I would like to hear a solo album from Tony, I am looking forward to this one.

Bob F and Tribute like this.
  4. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Really?!?!?! You just blew my mind Paul!

5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Listen to it carefully...there is hardly a trace (if at all IIRC) of any "sand" in his voice. It is far too pure compared to what his voice was like that year. I questioned several people who I thought might know and was told "yes" by all of them.

colormesinatra likes this.
  6. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

Me thinks Mr Declan Patrick MacManus may beg to differ...:oops:

7. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Folks, after listening to Tony's part of the album over again, I am still amazed how great he is. Like I've mentioned before it would have been a great solo album. His voice and phrasing is just beautiful, Bill Charlap's band does a good job and even the sound of the mix is nice. If you can live with Krall's part (which I can't unfortunately) you are in for a treat on Sept.14.

colormesinatra likes this.
  8. Chris Phasey

Chris Phasey Forum Resident

Ordered my copy of the new album after checking for extended versions and first a download and then the album turned up seems the usual good stuff but I really need the recording date verified but then I found two bonus tracks have been added to a deluxe version - has anyone any information on these - newly recorded or recycled? I just feel cheated yet again.

9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

August 2017 is as close a confirmation as can be determined.

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

There are actually three bonus tracks: The Target Stores exclusive edition in the US has a different Tony solo bonus (“Oh, Lady Be Good!” vs. “A Foggy Day”). And Japan has a bundle with a DVD. More in the dedicated thread:

Tony Bennett and Diana Krall duet album due in September 2018

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I generally refuse to participate in these "multi-version-bonus-tracks" scams.

12. Chris Phasey

I have just been looking at a new release of collaborations by Phil Collins, this 4 CD set includes a track made with Tony Bennett - "There'll Be Some Changes Made" with no further information. I assume it might derive from the tour they made together (Switzerland) in 1996 when a documentary was made "The Phil Collins Big Band", somewhere I have a DVD or audio recording and that I've noted "Watch What Happens" & "Over The Rainbow" as included but not this track - anyone got any information on it?
    One to add to the rarities. Rhino 94205-2.

13. Chris Phasey

I've just discovered that a download claims the track with Phil Collins is from Montreux 2004 so my assumption was quite wrong

14. StacyAtlas83

StacyAtlas83 Forum Resident

I purchased an MP3 at Amazon of "Firefly" from "The Columbia Singles, Vol. 5" which should be the Ray Ellis version, but it turned out to be the Count Basie ("In Person") album version. Was the error also on the CD in the "Complete Collection?"

15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yes. Noted above: Post #809.

16. mdr30

mdr30 Forum Resident

This is one fine album, I have a US cut-out mono lp my uncle brought to Sweden from the States in the 1960s. I was much too young to appreciate it then, but time fixed that, for sure. I also have the cd reissue with bonus track and high res files, both interesting in their own way, but not really fulfilling the potential of the masters, I feel, if they exist. Was there a SACD and does anyone have an opinion about the transfer?

Recently I checked the songs again and their background, to get a feel of what was in the air in the mid 1960s. Two cuts are Peggy Lee songs (The Right to Love and Then Was Then), and two by Richard Rodgers (Take the Moment and Two by Two). Both of the latter from musicals, Take the Moment from Do I Hear a Waltz? and Two by Two from the show with the same title, starring Danny Kaye. But that musical had its première in 1970, and with different lyrics as its plot is about Noah and the ark. The song Two by Two must have been written much earlier for a different purpose. Does anybody know?

Seems Tony Bennett had close contacts with publishers regarding his song choices (or maybe Ernie Altschuler made the suggestions). Also interesting that All My Tomorrows was a Frank Sinatra song from a 1959 movie I didn't know, A Hole in the Head

Fascinating stuff. And Tony Bennett's album of course sound fabulous with the nice Don Costa arrangements, can't recall now if it was Frank Laico or Harold Chapman who may have engineered it.

Bob F likes this.
  17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Laico...Chapman went to work in Columbia Hollywood years before that album was recorded (at 30th Street).

paulmock likes this.
  18. Ridin'High

Ridin'High Forum Resident

[​IMG][​IMG]

In agreement on both counts.

Looking at the back cover below, the destination for "All my Tomorrows" was the only one whose logic I didn't understand at first sight. But I do now, after looking into the movie: the plot of A Hole in the Head is set in Miami.

[​IMG]

Mostly, though, I want to bring up the notion that this 1965 album could have been loosely conceived as an extension & sequel to the very popular I Left My Heart in San Francisco, released three year earlier. You know, from San Francisco to other parts of the world, and beyond (e.g., Paradise, and what might perhaps be Tony's favorite abode, Cloud 9) ... At the very least, the front cover of Songs from the Jet Set takes after the earlier album's cover.

My favorite from this bunch is "Sweet Lorraine."

:yikes: Sacrilege!
    Good thing that the Inquisition
    is not around anymore.
    (Just kidding.)

paulmock and Bob F like this.
  19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Thanks to these posts on the Jet Set, I pulled it off the rack and played it the other evening. I have perfectly mint mono and stereo original pressings. I chose the stereo and LOVED it. I still get a thrill from the sounds of the jet (sounds like a DC-8 to me) landing at the end of the opening track.

drew phillips, MMM and dualstacker like this.
  20. Ridin'High

Yes: this "Two By Two" was also composed for Do I Hear A Waltz?, from which it was ultimately cut. I do not know why, since the number (as heard in Tony's album) is pleasant enough.

Do I Hear A Waltz? was a collaboration between Rodgers and Sondheim, who did not get along at all. So, while the song might have been cut out of necessity (or for some other practical reason), it could also be that the differences between the two songwriters played a role.

Right, Peggy indeed recorded both of them, although she wrote only one of the two, "Then Was Then." By the way, the 'Lees' credited for "The Right to Love" is actually Gene Lees, the lyricist, biographer and music writer who was a big fan of Peggy.

While the title is simply given as "The Right to Love" on Tony's album, Peggy's earlier recording bears a longer title, "The Right to Love (Reflections)." That's because the song was originally recorded (by Stan Getz) as an instrumental titled "Reflections." It's been said that Tony was the one who suggested to Lees that he should write a lyric for it. (I assume the claim to be true, but I haven't searched for verification.)

Peggy recorded "The Right to Love" in 1964, Tony in 1965. Two other singers who recorded it shortly thereafter were Nancy Wilson (1967) and Carmen McRae (1968).

Due to the popularity of "I Left my Heart in San Francisco" and ensuing singles, song publishers were probably sending all sorts of fine new songs to Tony's manager well in advance, long before they were circulated among other singers. I know such to have been the case with "The Shadow of your Smile." Songwriter Johnny Mandel would have probably offered it to Peggy first, had it not been for the fact that the song publisher sent it out to Tony's manager right away, without Mandel's knowledge.

Another way in which Tony apparently kept himself at the vanguard of new song material was by attending other singers' concerts. Carmen McRae reportedly would say "here comes Tony to steal my **** again," or words to that effect. (I believe that Carmen was friendly with Tony. Although she presumably meant it, her comment appears to have been uttered with more sarcasm than bitterness.)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

In an album recorded in 1972 in live performance, Carmen introduced a song "There's No Such Thing as Love" by saying (paraphrasing) "This is a song that I think my boy Tony Bennett should record."

Ridin'High likes this.
  22. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Well you all got me to pull out my NM stereo, six-eye, first pressing...and give it a spin. Never sounded better.

[​IMG]

Couldn't find a pic of the Bennet 6-eye label but like this...Stereo looks to be pretty rare. My treasure.

[​IMG]

JazzFanatic and Ridin'High like this.
  23. mdr30

mdr30 Forum Resident

So, I've acquired the stereo lp Songs for the Jet Set and plan to do comparisons with other formats this weekend, for anyone interested.

paulmock likes this.
  24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

OK! Love to hear your thoughts. I may just drag out a copy of mine as well.

25. Ridin'High

[​IMG]

Well ... Those were the days. Or something.

rockerreds likes this.