Too Many Speakers — Help Me Whittle Down the List

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Nov 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

Gotta expand one’s horizons sometime... ;)

timind likes this.
  2. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

As you have seen from your other thread, I've heard the Linn Majik 140s both passive and active and a work colleague runs a pair from a PrimaLuna integrated valve amp in a room smaller than yours. Here's a link Manuals - Majik 140 floor standing - LinnDocs

They are the only speaker on your list I'm familiar with and my experience of ATC and ProAc from your list goes back to my retail days many years ago, so is mostly irrelevant. I have never sold Harbeth, but did sell Rogers 30 years ago: thhey sounded nothing like ATC, Linn and ProAc.

I believe your Linn dealer also stocks ATC, have you asked him why he loves Linn speakers? Can he demonstrate this to you? You may, or may not agree with him, but it is definitely interesting to hear what criteria he finds important.

I'm a big fan of active speakers and if you can go to ATC (or Linn) active, then definitely audition them. If you can afford them, but cannot justify active, definitely audition them!

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  3. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

Hi, looking at your OP I believe the JBL L100 classics should be on your list. Wonderful speaker and meets all the things you are outlining, at least for me.

krambigmac likes this.
  4. Cyclone Ranger

Might be a bit big for my room... :doh:

5. Cyclone Ranger

Care to give us a micro-review, then? :)

I’m sure he will. And he says he prefers very low distortion/very low resonance speakers that don’t ‘create the sound’ or ‘have their own voice’, aka ATC and Linn.

Randoms likes this.
  6. Cyclone Ranger

I’m certainly open to any suggestions as to what makes/models are the best representatives of ‘the BBC sound’, aka doesn’t have to be Harbeth.

Bear in mind that I’m trying to walk a line between otherwise great speakers that are too bass- and scale-limited (such as LS3/5As), and speakers that will be too big for my mid-sized room and modest listening distance (7’-7.5’).

You are almost certainly right that it’s going to be safer and easier to audition a bunch of speakers in the Spring, aka once the vaccine hits.

I may have to reconsider the timing of this... :(

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    timind likes this.
  7. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

That’s a personal preference that only has any value if you share it.

I just like speakers that sound good to me.

Randoms likes this.
  8. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Perhaps it's also worth considering that some dealers might be more open to home auditions right now, since they're the only auditions that are possible.

With lockdowns happening all over the place, many of us are also spending a bit more time at home right now. If this applies to you then perhaps now is the time to start auditioning, if it can be arranged, since you might have more time for it now than after lockdown has been lifted and we all go mad, and dealer listening rooms start to fill up.

Because you might not be able to complete the process at present, it doesn't mean that you can't start it (and have some fun!).

9. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

I own the ATC 19s drive them with the 300 watt Mac solid state amp.... glorious.... 200-300 watts is probably the sweet spot for those speakers... I love everything about them...Once I heard them I just wanted them.... and the search was over... That was my experience...

Erik Tracy and sound chaser like this.
  10. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Room size wise, my room is a little smaller than yours and my ATC SCM40 IIs fit fine, musically, and because they are the stunning matte white version, they blend in beautifully, being as I have a tendency for white and clear acrylic furnishings :).

timind and Yellow Rubber Jacket like this.
  11. Helom

Helom Forum member

IME, the speakers most faithful to the original BBC voicing are the models designed by Derek Hughes. These days, those are Graham and Stirling models. The LS5/9s (designed by Hughes) are approximately the same size as M30.1s. Of this designs type, I would go with SB-88s or smaller in your room. You might be able to get away with a slightly larger thin-wall monitor if you're not concerned with achieving their maximum capabilities. Otherwise, Spendor A7s and A4s, or ATCs SCM19s probably have the better placement-ease/cabinet volume ratio. With the A4s and A7s you get most of the BBC midrange with a tighter bass character. A7s would be a top contender if I were in your situation.

If imaging specificity is not a top priority, and you can put 3' or more of space behind the baffles (which would be only 2' behind a box speaker), do consider the Spatial M5 Sapphires. Spatials are an incredible value aside from those two caveats, and I would wager their new Sapphire series is giving you $8-10K sound for under $5K. If their imaging is improved over their old Triode Master series, then it should be good enough for most listeners.
    Another advantage is they encourage in-home auditions, and last I knew, they still offer a 60-day trial period.

bever70, DavidR and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  12. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

The more valuable response i read in many time on an audio forum. Don't ask me what you'll like or not.

13. Cyclone Ranger

Don’t we all? ;)

14. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Precisely ... we all do ... but in an individual way.

15. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Yes, I could write a mini review and tell you they were developed from trickle down technology from the Komri:-

"The Linn Komri gave me the feeling of being in the studio, listening though a live microphone feed. This is seduction of the highest order for a person like me—my entire listening room life has been dedicated to re-creating "mic feeds and master tapes" in my home. In my opinion, Linn has crafted a very rare loudspeaker: one that gives coherence, neutrality, clarity; a speaker that combines physical beauty with real authority, and helps you to approach that grand goal of fine audio—real fidelity in audio reproduction.

In combination with reference level equipment, and using either SACD or vinyl, the Linn Komri is a stratospheric reference loudspeaker. I therefore give it my "very highest recommendation"—enthusiastically!"

The technology was used in Linn's (short lived) professional speakers:- Linn Komri Turns Pro and Technology Spotlight: Linn Professional 318A, 328A Monitors

Linn Records' Philip Hobbs is an interesting and talented guy: someone who has recorded some of the best sounding music available and a talented loudspeaker designer. Philip Hobbs & Linn Records: Recording The Dunedin Consort He felt that existing studio monitors were simply not either accurate and revealing enough. Some of the ATC neutral, Linn definitely not comments in your other thread overlook the fact that Linn are in a fairly unique position. Technology Spotlight: Linn Professional 318A, 328A Monitors

I could tell you that Linn speakers are extremely well made, with stunning finishes, or simply post some photos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I could tell you how flexible they are, easily convertable from passive to active and can benefit from Linn's Space and Exakt technology.

Most speakers are a cost exercise compromise and in an ideal world passive speakers with lossy and inaccurate crossovers wouldn't exist. Having owned and installed many, many more active systems, the gains, going active are significant and a well designed active system has strengths that I haven’t heard from some significantly more expensive power amp / passive loudspeakers.

@Cyclone Ranger, can your dealer give you a passive / active demonstration with either ATC, or Linn speakers? In my Linn retail days, there was, at least one Linn speaker where you could compare the passive / active set-ups very quickly, with positioning marks of tune dem (if you don't know ask your dealer) optimised positions for both passive and active systems. They weren't always exactly the same.

You may, or may not be, able to justify an active set up, but it does show you where you can go in the future if you want better sound, which once you've optimised set up (the dealers job!) unfortunately usually involves more expenditure.

As you are well aware the room can have a significant affect on the sound, I discounted otherwise very good properties when buying the two houses I've ever owned, because they didn't have a suitably potentially fairly neutral sounding and appropriate shaped room for my system.

Before selling my previous house (and unfortunately most of the Hi-Fi system), I used Linn Akurate 242s, which again like the Majik 140s, used trickle down technology from the Komris, which includes a super tweeter in the strange looking array. Fed good quality analogue and digital sources, in firstly passive and then fully active (Linn aktiv) configuration the sound quality, far more so active, was stunning and beautiful. You could, and I did on many occasions, listen for hours on end without any fatigue, but without blandness. If the recording was bland, you still heard a fantastic song and musicianship. Same applies with a bright recording - it was still reproducing fantastic music.

Before selling the house, I lodged with a friend and set up the system in his house. In his house which had a hard floor, floor to ceiling glass windows down one of the long sides and only a sofa, the sound was truly horrible and from listening for several hours every day, the exact same system remained largely unused. I can honestly say that a good £1,000 system in my old room would have given more musical pleasure than my significantly more costly system in the his house. Out of hundreds of installations I've done over the years, I have never heard such an awful sounding room, even a conversation was hard work in that room. No system would sound good in that room without serious acoustic treatment, or / and use of DSP.

You asked me if I would do a micro-review of the Linn Majik 140 and as @sotosound correctly said "That’s a personal preference that only has any value if you share it."

The room I heard the passive Majik 140s driven by a Linn Majik DSM, the music being produced was very nice and I could easily live with it. My friend bought a Majik DS and later a beautiful cherry pair of the 140s. My brother nearly handed over his credit card there and then for the source and speakers. Both owned good sounding systems.

Later hearing the Majik 140s active, I really enjoyed the music and could definitely hear the significanct improvements that I have always heard in a well set up active systems. The midrange is in time and in tune with the bass and the tweeter / super tweeter with effortless dynamics and masses of detail without harshness. Modern Linn systems do the Hi-Fi things incredibly well, which they didn't prior to the Kabers.

Obviously this is my opinion. Would I buy Linn Majik 140s? Yes.

If I was in the market for a new system I would definitely want to audition Linn speakers (and alternatives). Following on from my experiences of two different rooms with my Akurate 242s, I would definitely want to hear the speakers (obviously via a good source) in a full Linn Exakt implementation.

I have personally not heard an Exakt system, but it intrigues me massively and a friend who has owned several fantastic sounding all Linn systems, which I heard on many occasions and whose opinions I trust (and very often agree with) has had great results with Exakt.

Yes, I am a "Linnie", having used Linn sources, electronics and speakers on and off over three decades and may, or may not still prefer them in demonstration and everyday use, but as when I bought the equipment I did audition alternative equipment.

@Cyclone Ranger, I don't know if I in anyway answered your question! :winkgrin:

Cyclone Ranger and Mike70 like this.
  16. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

If i were you i would go for a set of Stirling Broadcast LS3/6, Spendor 2/3 or Graham Audio LS5/9.

I have a a great set of Spendor BC1 and love them.

17. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

That's my experience also ... but i hope someone with much experience as an ex dealer will have more credibility than me :righton:

Also, a Harman dbx well configured can transform the water in wine.

Randoms and timind like this.
  18. Cyclone Ranger

Both you and Helom have piqued my interest in 'non-Harbeth' BBC-type speakers, so I am doing a little research there, yes.

Just wish I knew which ones were the 'studs' of the bunch. I'll assume the three you mention fall into that category.

And I heard the BC1 back in the late '80s/early '90s (a friend owned a pair), and they are one of my all-time favorites, at least from what I can recall. :)

RemyM and bever70 like this.
  19. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I 2nd or 3rd those suggestions ;). Besides the Graham Audio LS5/9 (f for floorstander) there is also the LS6 (aka Chartwell) which might be interesting.

20. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Non Harbeth bbc sound? Kef Reference ;)

Mr.Sign likes this.
  21. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Try to look into his profile what Helom has but can't see it. If i ever will upgrade from my BC1's those are the speakers i will look into (maybe add Harbeths).
    I also love the looks of the BBC speakers.

22. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Your profile says punk rock, grunge, '70s hard rock,

If you like rock music forget about BBC type speakers, you will be disappointed as I have been (And I have tried them all). Consider some horns such as Cornwall IV's...

23. Helom

Helom Forum member

Spendor SP1/2Es have a cult following and I’ve noted more than a few owners have regretted selling theirs.

If I were doing this over again from scratch, I would join the Spendor User Group to solicit advice:
    spendor groups.io Group

Derek Hughes frequents that forum and these days he is the premier engineer in the BBC speaker world. His talent is sought by numerous brands:Derek Hughes Audio Services

The LS3/6 mentioned earlier is an incredible speaker. They might work in your room but I also wouldn’t be surprised if they are too large. Ceiling height matters as much as width and length, so if you have a high ceiling, that could be the qualifier. I haven’t heard a midrange quality any better than the Stirling LS3/6, not even from $50K Magicos or $30K Rockports.

Keep in mind that most speakers of this type require a lengthy break-in period. However, if they don’t at least sound promising out of the box (as was the case with a couple I’ve tried), I’d move onto something else.

The Graham LS5/8 is also an amazing speaker. They’re even larger but maybe they could work if you are able to allow them ample breathing room. There was a pair on Audiogon recently for somewhere around $6K — a steal.

DavidR and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  24. Cyclone Ranger

BBC speakers can't do rock? (I like other forms of music too btw, inc. jazz, classical, and blues).

What say those who've lived with 'em?

25. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Going to play some Back in Black and Jailbreak later tonight. I never owned JBL's.

But my BC1's can handle some Replacements for sure. And like today, i have been playing probably 10 records, you don't get tired from them.

bever70 and Cyclone Ranger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.