Tool Planning to Remaster and Reissue All of their Albums for Vinyl Release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PJJK, Aug 11, 2017.

1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Well, I’m pretty sure the reissue will happen. It’s just a case of when.

I also think it’s more than likely the reissue will be cut by Chris Bellman, and you might say there’s a chance it will be superior to the original.

I, for one, am getting a little tired of waiting for them. It seems that there are reissues constantly churned out for the same thing again and again, whereas other titles can go for many years without reissue.

xfilian and James Bennett like this.
  2. wickedwatson

wickedwatson Forum Resident

I do. Sounds awesome. Fortunately my girlfriend picked it up at retail back in 1996, or I would likely be a few hundred bucks poorer. As another pointed out, of course the reissue could be an improvement, but I will have to hear it to believe it. And as excited as I am about the reissue campaign, I've learned not to hold my breath. Test pressings of 10,000 Days have been in existence for several years but still yet to be released. If you have the cash to spare, you can always grab a copy of Aenima now and resell later (should still retain some of its value).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    xfilian likes this.
  3. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

If these are done properly, I would imagine prices will fall significantly. Look at the original pressing of Beck, Sea Change for example...

4. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

The Chris Bellman cut vinyl picture disc of Lateralus sounds INCREDIBLE.

This is a very dynamic recording. Guitar tone, drum sound, bass slam, everything is right on point. And of course the music.

Mine is a little noisy in a few spots even after a VPI clean, but the sound is still really impressive so no complaints from me. A proper black vinyl edition if mastered by CB would be mind blowing.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Dmann201, steviebee, Paully and 4 others like this.
  5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Now, just imagine if Tool had CB master their catalog and had it pressed at RTI.

6. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I’ve done some more in depth listening to Lateralus. The mastering is pretty great. Does anyone here find that the discs have their relatively quiet moments but then become really noisy at certain passages?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes, I would say about 1/4 of record is noisier than I would like. Please, don't make any more picture discs. Colored vinyl is no different than black vinyl IMO, but those picture discs are not a good idea for audio playback.

richbdd01 and Echoes Myron like this.
  8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

We need the Tool catalog remastered by Chris Bellman from the original masters, and then pressed at RTI using MOFI Supervinyl.:cool:

Dmann201, Gumboo, richbdd01 and 2 others like this.
  9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Yeah bordering on unacceptable on the odd occasion. Fortunately, it’s not persistent. I think the issue is that there are many quiet passages that emphasise any noise aswell.

10. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Where's Adam?

We need another Morale Boost.

Dorian75 and Gumboo like this.
  11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I know, it looked as if Tool was going to reissue their titles on vinyl and release a new record.
    Now, nada...nada thing.

12. kr9

kr9 Active Member

My Lateralus picture disc has amazing tone but I wish it was quiet like my Mezmerize picture disc.

Dorian75 likes this.
  13. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

Every time I see this thread bumped... I hope against hope...

Life as a Tool fan.

14. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Quoted for truth

Gumboo likes this.
  15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I thought I heard a rumour that they were going to do Aenima and Lateralus for the MOFI next one steps as 3 LP sets :yikes:

Dorian75 likes this.
  16. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Lol. Sure.

richbdd01 likes this.
  17. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

I doubt it. Even if true, we’re probably another 10 years from seeing the product the way both the band and MFSL work.

richbdd01 and hi_watt like this.
  18. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

I actually emailed MOFI about doing Aenima a while back. They told me they'd love to but it was out of their hands until the label granted them permission.

Gumboo likes this.
  19. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I'm not a great fan, but I have everything except 10,000 Days on CD which is brickwalled. A nice remaster with better dynamics and I'm in. Tool sounds good on CD, so a good redbook version would suffice, though I'm also a record collector. I'm not a guy who will pay premium prices for Tool releases, a casual fan. Very cool seeing a unique King Crimson fan post here, and hope you hardcore folks get your wish. Hoffman/Gray and maybe even I get some vinyl..

20. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

It's almost a year since we had an update from adomheartbrother.

21. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

Don't disturb him! He is working hard on the Analogue remasters.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  22. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

(Shaking fist in the air) He better be!

23. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Tool is (are?) playing some festivals in 2019.
    Doubt they'd be doing so without a new album in tow.

24. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

:biglaugh:

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  25. Ryan Capuano

Ryan Capuano Well-Known Member

I'd hope so, but I also remember thinking this in 2009 when they were announced for Lollapalooza. Admittedly, that was without so much as a breath from the band themselves about a new album. Dare to dream this time, I suppose.