Tool's NEW ALBUM Fear Inoculum - August 30th, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Hey . . . this is a thread about Tool's album Fear Inoculum eh?

Dorian75 likes this.
  2. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

so someone decided to remaster/declipp the 24/96 version

edit : i am into the 4th song of FI , and maybe this is a placebo effect , but it feels like the music has more room and is more 'breathy' -i think i prefer this remaster as i always thought (listening with 2.5K custom in ears) that the production was a bit too close into my face and i felt some 'hotness' in the production levels

i think this can become my go-to version (already have the cd and the 24-96 HD tracks)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  3. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Where do I get a copy of that please?

4. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

pm

5. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

6. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Good to know that there are people out there who can improve the work of Bob Ludwig and Tool. I think I'm going to paint some Monet and Matisse myself. I'll get better colors and depth than those guys for sure.

Jaap74, Dmann201, dewiecox and 9 others like this.
  7. Serapis Bey

Serapis Bey Forum Resident

:biglaugh:

latheofheaven likes this.
  8. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

no worries , i was curious to hear it cause the production left me lacking - listening through in-ear monitors i fould the mix to be a tad hot and the depth was not best as music felt too close to my face/ears

i like what i hear , so everybody's happy , right ?

but don't take my opinion in consideration - i had 3 people asking to check it out , maybe they will share some thoughts too themselves - but like i said worse case scenario the remaster sucks and you simply delete it no biggie

best

ps : the person who did the remaster , shared those thoughs just leave them here....

Everything is always performed and dithered down from 32bit float in Audition. I haven’t been very fond of peak restoration software. Not happy with resulting anomalies or audio and have developed a manual method, incorporating a few, filtering, overall, level, and small passage adjustments. As well as minimal equalization. I incorporated 2 separate monitors. One straight in, one at my listening area. Since there is familiar. Physically monitoring sound, spectrum, fft monitoring, scope, ect. Overall every process demands a slight difference in variable but the end goal being the same. Set proper peak level, Low pass, hi pass, trying to process to a “more flat or vinyl” type sound. Taking notes always as well as references to analog filtering performed in other formats. My main thing is to not induce a lot of bloat especially in the equalization phase. Manual approach. I use my ears to preference over most things. Ive been schooled worked and doing audio projects on the side since the 90s, involving band multitracking,demo mix/mastering,concert recordings.First attempts as a young child in the 80s with my cassettes and records. Its a passion. Hope its enjoyed and my response as transparent as possible.

doing a listening test now. Definitely an added sense of warmth and detail. The cymbal clarity is perfect now without the bright harshness. I adjusted around 41hz (deep bass guitar) and relieved the cloudy boomy bass. This sounds about perfect.

9. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

PM also, thanks

proedros likes this.
  10. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

pm'ed , hope you like it as much as @fuse999 did (and thanx for the cd suggestion too)

11. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

hello I'm interested in hearing this as well, how do we pm here?

proedros likes this.
  12. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Same here, I'm bought the album and I'm interested as well.

proedros likes this.
  13. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

pm'ed

bos , tried to pm you but i can not ,maybe a glitch ?

if someone who already got the remaster link can send it to bos , thanx guys

Boswell likes this.
  14. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Boswell, you seem to have your PM's turned off.

Boswell likes this.
  15. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I think it’s available at both www.psuedoscience.com and www.quackery.net

Lol

There is no clipping in the 24/96 version and we have isotope’s head software guy posting on SHTV advising that declipping software doesn’t do anything to increase dynamic range (which there is a tonne of already)

Sometimes this forum really makes ones eyes roll.

Serapis Bey likes this.
  16. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Exactly haha

17. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

@dobyblue , i am a person with a 10$ (ten dollars) cellphone and a 4K (four thousand) portable music setup , which means i take my music and what i hear very seriously

i did not say anything about DR , you can keep disecting music through graphs i am cool with that

me, i will keep trusting my ears

best

Proedros

ps : if someone hears this 'remaster' and does not like it i am cool - at least he wasn't someone from smart-ass.com

cheers

18. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Not sure why my PMs don't work, sorry.

Here's a summary of Adam Jones' first podcast appearance on Chris Jericho's show.

proedros likes this.
  19. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

Boswell likes this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

So, need for us to use (or trust) our own ears, we should just rely on the experience of the head software guy, surely he must hear everything exactly the way you do.

Already a tonne of dynamic rage? The CD is an 8, which is far from a tonne of dynamic range.

I completely agree.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  21. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

No clipping viewable in a waveform does not mean there is no clipping backed into the mix

Again I hardly doubt the many many amounts of people across websites, who are also Tooo fans, are making up hearing the same clipping in the same spots

I guees this is a debate that will keep going in a circular motion with software dictating what ears are hearing as opposed to the ears themselves

aphexj, George P and Boswell like this.
  22. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, maybe if we just say "non-musical sound" that distracts from the rest of the performance?

Boswell likes this.
  23. Jumpin & Changin

Jumpin & Changin Forum Resident

This has been discussed at length earlier in this thread. The clipping is not on the master (ie: Bob Ludwig isn't being blamed here), so izotope won't show clipping. It is, at least, on the stereo mixdown. It is all over Pneuma and easily heard in several sections. One poster suggested the static sound is possibly an over-saturated guitar amp (possible). It is nowhere near as bad as 10,000 days and, overall, the album sounds and is great.

Dorian75, HotelYorba101 and Boswell like this.
  24. Serapis Bey

Serapis Bey Forum Resident

Yes. And those moments are so few and far between that they are not worth getting our slide rulers out.

There is enough to critique about the new Tool album musically that we really reveal our geekiness to focus on those brief moments of crackle.

latheofheaven likes this.
  25. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Crackle is the right word. I totally hear it on Pnuema and Tempest when the drums are really pounding. I don't know what the terminology is but I hear it. And it's actually really ****ty on the ears. Nothing wrong with mentioning it. People write posts saying their order has shipped and folks get crapped on for noticing errors in HQ recordings at an audiophile forum?

I love the record, nonetheless.

Dorian75, emjayoh, aphexj and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.