Tool's NEW ALBUM Fear Inoculum - August 30th, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumpin & Changin

Jumpin & Changin Forum Resident

Yes...back to the music.
    Culling Voices. Really digging this now. The atmospheric synth sets up the song well. A slow build into some of Maynard's best parts on the album. When it ends and the guitar sustain fades, the synth returns in what sounds like distance miking to give it that big-room feel that reminded me of the end of "Over The Hills...". The synth almost sounds like Adam on guitar. Mesmerizing.

2. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

If need be, I can delve back into the CD track listing issue.
    :pineapple:

dadonred and Dorian75 like this.
  3. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

My current Tool - Fear Inoculum power rankings:

1) Descending
    2) Invincible
    3) Pneuma
    4) Culling Voices
    5) Fear Inoculum
    6) 7empest
    7) Chocolate Chip Trip

This is a fantastic album that has grown on me just as Ænima and Lateralus did.

Also re: Culling Voices, Psychopathy is traditionally a personality disorder characterized by persistent antisocial behavior, impaired empathy and remorse, and bold, disinhibited, and egotistical traits. Maynard's lyrics thematically have been very consistent for me going back to Ænima. The desire to "crucify the ego", that destructive sense of self that blinds us to the idea that we are all "one spark". That general theme crosses over into a ton of songs over the last four albums. Agree or disagree, it's a beautiful thought. He's definitely an idealist, and usually being an idealist leads a sometimes pessimistic view of the world, when you see what could be vs. what is.

Oh, and the resurrection of Tool had led me to remember the shortcut for making the Æ (alt-658) on the keyboard.

Time to start listening to some more Killing Joke ahead of seeing them with Tool in November.

4. Poolshark

Poolshark Forum Resident

Almost the same for me:

1) Invincible
    2) Descneding
    3) Pneuma
    4) Culling Voices
    5) 7empest
    6) Fear Inoculum
    7) Chocolate Chip Trip

This is an album that I can listen to from beginning to end and that is rare for me. It really appeals to me with headphones on and beer in hand. I choose not to hear any imperfections (if they exist) because my brain believes this album is almost perfect. I was a Tool fan but this album has really pushed me over the edge into becoming a BIG fan.

5. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

The upside to all of the songs being so long and filled with awesomeness is that, since the day it leaked I have listened to either the whole album, or at the very least one song off the album, pretty much every day since and I still am not tired of it in the least lol and that rarely occurs

6. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

LOL :uhhuh:

7. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

I hear that, I sometimes get a Queensryche vibe on some of the songs as well. It's really quite interesting.

hi_watt and stoneknuckle like this.
  8. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

9. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

aka the Complete Opus vs Cliff Notes issue

St. Troy likes this.
  10. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

I’m almost afraid to ask!

11. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

But, apparently you're not.

I think I can bring you up to date. Litanie contre le Peur is actually the intro to Invincible. Similarly, Mockingbeat is the epilog for 7empest. So, if you don't have them, then you really don't have the complete songs. And therefore, if you bought the really expensive CD, then you didn't even get the entire album. That's why Troy, may he correct me if I'm wrong, after much deliberation and soul searching wisely decided to join the 21st century and get the 24/96 nonphysical version of the album.

drapes and Dorian75 like this.
  12. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

I'm gravitating towards the songs in that same hierarchy. And yes, this album has showed it's worth and value more over repeated listens. Each of the songs all tend to build to an ear-whalloping crescendo at their end.

New interview with Adam: Tool's Adam Jones talks everything Fear Inoculum: the agonizing wait, the colossal tones and those signature pull-offs | Guitarworld
    (Not sure if it has been posted yet...)

izombie73 and oneway23 like this.
  13. batman144144

batman144144 Nocturnal crime fighter/audio enthusiast.

I dropped by Amoeba Music today in San Francisco and asked if they had any of FI. He said they sold out within about an hour and a half on the first day. He said people were lined up outside before opening. I asked how many copies they got in and he said 150. That's a lot of CD's in a short amount of time... I already have the hi-res files and am happy with those; I just wanted to see that packaging first-hand.

This was my first time in one of their stores. It's a huge place. A massive selection of CDs and vinyl. I recommend visiting if you get the chance.

14. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

I am not following this thread as I am not really a Tool listener as of now. Still need to give the new album a go.
    But yesterday I came across this archival Take 5 from the Aussie web radio station Double J. Gemma Pike talks to Justin and Danny who give us a peak into their record collection. Think that may be of interest for some in here.
    Do love that cover photo for the show. How great is that?!

mikizee and Guss2 like this.
  15. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

Next time maybe post a link if you can, but I'll check it out for sure.

16. JoeD

JoeD Forum Resident

Guss2 likes this.
  17. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Couple of random thoughts after multiple listens:

Justin's chord playing is at times quite amazing. Playing chords on bass isn't easy. It takes a long time before they start sounding good. He's really nailing them and they sound stunning.

Maynard does not sound like he's "aging" one bit. His voice is as controlled and as powerful as it was during Lateralus and Aenima, save the massive voice killing screams like in The Grudge.

The lyrics are really fantastic. I'll be looping on these lyrics for the next....13 years. Maynard has a lot to say, someone else mentioned that he's coming from the same place as on Aenima and I have to agree. They find the current state of our world to be wildly unsettling and in dire need of repair before it's too late.

Tool making such badass music at this late stage in their career defies what normally happens with musicians. Usually, bands get ****tier over time as they get older. Ever notice that? Tool only gets better and more refined...like fine wine. Haha. I believe this is the way musicians are supposed to progress, but it can only happen when they come from the right place, which is actually a deep love for what they do. Tool have never cared about fame or any of that BS that comes from the music biz.

The way Adam's solos progress and get crazier and more intense and finally explodes in a fury in 7empest is just the best goddamn thing ever.

I have a feeling that they've got some unreleased music that they'll surprise us with at some point in the near future. I'm sure this isn't all they've got after such a long hiatus. They've got more.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  18. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

Oops! I am sorry. Yes, that's the link.

Guss2 likes this.
  19. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Ah. To me those 3 interludes add little to the overall experience, so if I bought a CD I wouldn’t feel robbed. If there was one actual track cut rather than 3 interludes it would be a different story especially at the prices the deluxe edition is going for.

20. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

For anyone who is into Tool and this album, and you haven't heard Karnivool's album Sound Awake, I implore you. Brilliant album, and production values are high, it sounds fantastic. And the drummer has crazy good skills.

Here is the last track on the album - it is epic

21. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Pretty similar for me:

1) Descending
    2) Invincible
    3) Pneuma
    4) Fear Inoculum
    5) 7empest
    6) Culling Voices
    7) Chocolate Chip Trip

I wouldn't say Culling Voices is the worst track, just my least favourite!

If I don't play this album at least once per day, I feel like I'm not operating at 100% as I get a real sense of personal empowerment with every listen.

22. Macman

Macman Senior Member

It's pretty much a daily listen for me too. 7empest blows my mind every time I hear it. Adam's tone is out of this world.

23. Fishleehooke

Fishleehooke Forum Resident

Man I am really really hoping that since TOOL are now free agents that they start releasing more live stuff like Salival. I love the live sound that Tool has.Adam uses the arenas reverb in some songs...and every time I have saw them this is the case. They really need to get more of that out there at some point. I hope they don't just pocket it for down the road.

miller_time22 likes this.
  24. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I'd love a live album too - but I just hope that IF it'll happen one day it'll be a boxset or a compilation and not something from the current tour. Tracks like The Grudge, Lateralus, Third Eye etc need to be there.

25. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

the dream would be this - releasing in Soundboard quality the Aenima tour 1996-98

this is their peak , this is where they shine as the greatest rock band of the last 30 years

not see it happening though , still it would be mind-melting if it did...

seasonsinthesky and Crimson jon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.