Tool's NEW ALBUM Fear Inoculum - August 30th, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

So being a Tool Thread where some people also want a Vinyl Release for ‘Fear Inoculum’, I assume that several people here own the ‘Lateralus’ Picture Vinyl. Is there a consensus that the ‘Lateralus’ Vinyl is as bad as most Picture Vinyl Records? Or does anyone think that the SQ is at least good, if not great. Seems strange there was never a Black Vinyl option for that Album.

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The whole vinyl release history by Tool seems strange. Very little care or effort made, especially with the vinyl resurgence over the last several years.

3. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

My understanding is that there are two masterings of the Lateralus vinyl release; one mastered by Chris Bellman and one not. I own the Chris Bellman mastered version and it sounds fantastic except for the requisite noisier grooves due to the picture disc. The mastering though is excellent, so don’t let the slight noise from the picture disc stop you from picking this up. Just make sure you get the one with CB in the deadwax.

And yes there never was an official black vinyl release. Only the picture disc.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  4. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

I have a CB Lateralus vinyl and it's one of my favorite records. There is noise but it's really not that bad. The mastering is superb. I have older Pink Floyd records that are noisier.

5. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Me too

Jem and Thoughtships like this.
  6. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

Yep, the Bellman Lateralus cut sounds tremendous in certain sections, I'm glad I grabbed it.

I prefer it to the CD, which always had a majorly digital sound to me.

7. TheSeldomSeenKid

How can I tell by the Jacket Cover Information, Bar Code, etc., if it is the Bellman Pressing?

8. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

From Discogs:
    Tool (2) - Lateralus

This is the vinyl release of unknown quantity that became available since around 2011 with no official release date information confirmed.
    It is identicial in packaging to Tool (2) - Lateralus
    The discs differ in the following manner:
    The runout information is different. This edition has an etched "CB" signature.
    The centre areas (where centre labels would normally be) contain numerous concentric circles rather than a less precise "handmade" look to the previous edition.

On the rear of the gatefold:
    ℗ & © 2000 Volcano Entertainment II, L.L.C.
    Manufactured in the United States by Zomba Recording Corporation
    Printed in the United States.

On the discs:
    ℗ & © 2001 Tool Dissectional, L.L.C. / Volcano Entertainment II, L.L.C.

On the inner sleeves:
    ℗ & © 2003 Tool Dissectional, L.L.C. / Volcano Entertainment II, L.L.C.
    Manufactured in the United States by Zomba Recording Corporation.

Catalog numbers:
    61422-3116-1 LP is on the rear of the gatefold.
    61422-31160-1 LP is on the inner sleeves.

TheSeldomSeenKid and Bigdz68 like this.
  9. TheSeldomSeenKid

Appreciate the information, but as in my most recent post now, going by those Discogs Links, it appears there is no differences on the Outer Jacket Cover, so really no way of verifying if buying a New/Sealed Copy.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  10. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

The answer is that you can't. But the older pressings are mostly long gone. The CB pressing currently in print has been in print since 2013.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  11. TheSeldomSeenKid

Yes, apparently after viewing both Discogs Links, the information on the Jacket Cover is identical for both Releases, so sounds like it is a Gamble, but maybe like you said, the early Pressing is bought out and replaced now with the 2nd(CB) Pressing, but still rolling the dice on buying a New/Sealed Copy. Have no idea which version Amazon sells currently, or what might be in Physical Stores that sell Vinyl Records.

12. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

I have one of the first pressings of Lateralus, the non CB cut. I hadn't played it in years, and put it on a couple of weeks ago just to see how bad it was. I was very pleasantly surprised... it sounded pretty good. Surface noise was less than I was expecting.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  13. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

+1

Echoes Myron and lordfalconer like this.
  14. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Yip, I can wait too.

15. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Just opened my extra-special super-duper deluxe video screen CD package for the first time since I bought it and watched it through before making CDr copies to play, to find it’s dead and needs a charge. I assume after a few charge-ups it’ll die for good?

16. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Why do you assume that? It's true that all rechargeable batteries slowly lose their ability to be fully recharged, but certainly not after "a few" charges.

17. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

For those of you who bought the first pressing with the interactive video thingie: is your interactive video thingie still operational?

EDIT: just saw the above posts! This confirms my suspicions. Anyone else?

Is there any way on Earth this thing will be working in five years? Three?

Never managed to snag one at the time. Now I'm waiting for a sensible CD reissue. Must I travel to Russia just to get a simple jewel case edition?! :D

RunningWithScissors likes this.
  18. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Mine is working okay, had to charge it after a couple weeks of not opening it but it seems to be okay currently

19. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Yeah the currently available Lateralus LPs should be the CB cut. While it is not the noisiest picture disc in my collection, it is definitely not great.

Mastering is absolutely phenomenal though. It is one of the most dynamic-sounding LPs I have ever heard.

In fact, here is my two-word review of the music, dynamics, and overall SQ on this record:

"Like Whoah."

Dorian75 likes this.
  20. TheSeldomSeenKid

There was a 2nd Deluxe Box Case that was released around last November or December, which did not have the Video Screen, but other type of Artwork, which made for a nice Alternative Deluxe Set Option, and the price was a little lower-IIRC.

At this point, I do not see this CD getting released in a Regular Jewel Case or a Smaller Digipak, but if you want to wait it out to see if it ever gets that standard case CD Release, them av at it.

jeffreybh and Howard Bleach like this.
  21. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Ya, my video player in mine still works, I don't see why it will quit working as long as you take care of it. Like anything really.

I doubt this will be released on a 'normal' CD release, so get whatever you can get while you still can, otherwise you may lose out.

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  22. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Right, I would say if anyone is holding out still I would say go for the book format and just think of it as buying a cool packaged CD for the cost of 2 CDs and enjoy it lol. The art that comes with it is really cool too and I think that based on it being nearly a year already since the album's release I don't think any cheaper physical media versions will come to fruition

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  23. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Can u still even buy it at original pricing?

James Bennett likes this.
  24. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

25. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Howard Bleach likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.