Tool's NEW ALBUM Fear Inoculum - August 30th, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

BTW, the 2 cuts of Lateralus are definitely different. I own both, and the deadwax space is different between the 2.

Dorian75 and drapes like this.
  2. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

Ok.... :rolleyes:

3. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

So? This is a brilliant album. It’s not available on vinyl. So suck it up and buy the CD or high-res files. Or stream it. Or don’t.

MechanicalAnimal6 likes this.
  4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Up to $30 for a CD isn’t a big deal. Late 90s and early 00s (before you could buy online) lots of well known bands cost $25-30 in store.

Dorian75 likes this.
  5. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Good thing you didn't grow up buying bootlegs in the 80's & 90's. A single CD for a usually edited concert was typically $25-$30, with multi-discs sets often costing as much as $75!
    And that was for one show!

Jachay, Bigdz68, dave-tx and 4 others like this.
  6. Hedin

Hedin Forum Resident

Streaming on different platforms, available in 24 bit and 16 bit download, two great CD package designs, both fair priced according to production costs I’d presume. If you like to own a physical copy, that’s not bad at all. And there’s the (however realistic) hope of it being released on vinyl. Not to mention the music itself. A year later still sounds fresh. I don’t see what’’s there to complain about… :) Clipping? Doesn't bother me. Have a great listen.

fuse999 and MechanicalAnimal6 like this.
  7. dave-tx

dave-tx Forum Resident

Lots of posts saying they won't buy a $30+ CD, which makes sense, but it's not a $30 CD. What you're buying is the packaging. Shame there isn't a cheaper version without it, but let's call it for what it is.

8. sam1982

sam1982 Forum Resident

I have the original pressing, it always had some swoops in 'the grudge' and a bit of noise throughout it. I always just accepted that was how it was. Then I cleaned it and now it has no noise whatsoever. The audio on it sounds superb. I came across a secondhand copy in a shop a year or so ago, it was $80. Checked it and found that it was the CB cut. I'd read all the comments about this being the 'one' to have etc and as I am such a fan of the band and album, I was willing to pay that for it. I listened to 'Lateralus' in store and.... really didn't think it was any sonic difference to the original copy I have. It had no surface noise, which was a bonus, but that was most probably because it had been machine cleaned by the store. Now of course this wasn't an A/B direct comparison, and I was listening instore on a different setup. So clearly there is are those factors. However my impression was that there wasn't any enormous leap in the actual audio quality over the version I already had, I didn't end up buying it.

Now of course this could all unravel if I was to play both versions side by side on my stereo at home, perhaps the differences would be more apparent. I read someone's comment that is is likely that CB just did the recut of the album, not a full remaster. Perhaps there is some truth to that, perhaps there were some minute adjustments made too.

drapes likes this.
  9. Bubbakja

Bubbakja Forum Resident

was hoping for a 1 year anniversary announcement for the vinyl since it was rumored for the Spring...

10. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

I've listened a hundred times and I have yet to hear any clipping.

11. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Whomp whomp

Chrome_Head likes this.
  12. seasonsinthesky

seasonsinthesky orphan coal, sleep, etc.

Clearest moment for me is at the end of 7empest, when toms come in and start that last buildup with vocals. Every hit has clipping distortion, even though they aren't getting squashed. It's saturation on the drums, I imagine, or in parallel.

Boswell likes this.
  13. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I've heard that song at HD on a 35K hifi, I hear no clipping... I hear maybe 6-8K pushed on the toms to get more attack and click... no clipping though

14. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I have given up all hope on vinyl from Tool. I’ll just be pleasantly surprised when and if it comes. The waiting has destroyed my excitement, lol. Hopefully, one day.

15. seasonsinthesky

seasonsinthesky orphan coal, sleep, etc.

Clear as day on every tom hit in that part through DT770s. Probably anything that accentuates the top end will show it, I'd reckon.

Boswell likes this.
  16. MechanicalAnimal6

A year later and i think i only played the album maybe two dozen times, if that.
    I like it better now though than the first couple of listens, but i still feel like the album was phoned in and rushed
    and just isn't anywhere near as great as anything else they've done....well i'd take it over Salival but that's it.
    and that's not to say i don't like Salival, but it's just some live tunes, a cover, and more weird stuff like Harry Manback II or whatever it was, haha.

17. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

I just listened to that part specifacally on HD-800's and AKG-701's, and it's just not there. Clean as a whistle.

18. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Clipping is heard as musical distortion to some, that's all that's going on. Clipping isn't necessarily a bad sound but I too hear it on different parts of the album. It does not affect the musicality or enjoyability of the music, for me.

19. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Is 24 times not a lot? I buy a fair amount of new releases and 95% don’t even get 5 listens...

20. MechanicalAnimal6

i mean i guess for some people maybe, but i mean it's the new TOOL album....it was waiting on for so long, i'm sure a lot of the fans have played it far more than i have.
    In this case, for a big TOOL fan, i'd think 12-24 times playing of their new album in a year is not much at all....but maybe that's just me, haha

21. Bubbakja

Bubbakja Forum Resident

I like the direction they have gone, feels like an extension of wings for mary and right in two. I'd say its probably my favorite overall album from them now, but it only been a year so we shall see. I am still shocked I like it as much as I do after waiting so long.

Em., Scat Rabies, Roberto899 and 3 others like this.
  22. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Rushed????? Thirteen years go by between album releases and you think Fear Inoculum sounds rushed??? I don't think I've ever heard anyone call ANY of Tool's releases rushed.

And "phoned in" doesn't apply either. If anything the band may have spent too much time going over every nook and cranny--getting this thing together. Maynard certainly thinks so. However, I think it's a very strong album.

dave-tx, MikeManaic61, Em. and 7 others like this.
  23. MechanicalAnimal6

Ugh.......if you knew about what was going on behind the scenes with the band that whole time, they really only worked on the new album for maybe 2 years worth of time tops....they weren't working on a new album the whole 13 years. Plus they scrapped stuff that was never used, etc.

But you think whatever you want to think. Always has to be one of them that thinks they have to critique everyone....:rolleyes:

I read it in an interview somewhere, but hey....you do you... :righton:

scarfaceclaw and theshape like this.
  24. Bubbakja

Bubbakja Forum Resident

According to Maynard they had a rough version with a lot of similar stuff in 2013 I think, he basically blamed Adam's perfectionism on why it took another 6 years. I think it was on Joe Rogan.

25. MechanicalAnimal6

Yeah, so much of what they had worked on kept on getting deleted and thrown out and then so many years of nothing happening at all, then the last 2 years before the album came out is when they finally started to get serious about it and Maynard kind of cracked the whip and told them to come up with something....anything....
    and i read somewhere that Danny admitted to rushing towards the end because he knew fans were sick of waiting for a new album so they stopped being as picky as they were on previous albums and even previous attempts towards the newest album, which is why i think it feels like there's less quality in the new album. And yes, to me it sounds rushed given what i have read. There's still some decent stuff, but this sounds like leftovers that weren't good enough for 10,000 Days and so many crapped on that album as well.

We of course won't all agree on where we'd rank this album, but i don't think F.I. will ever rank higher than any studio album that came before it.

Right now, i'm more worried about if they ever will get another album out at all....

Boswell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.