Tool's NEW ALBUM Fear Inoculum - August 30th, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

oh calm down, jesus !

2. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I hope this album is political.

3. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

This'll be a nice birthday present for me. Thanks Maynard!

4. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

"Jesus!"

I am calm. Just trying to get ahold how one can tell another their listening wrong when the material is not even available.

Enlighten me. Explain how that works. I am open.

5. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I am 'smh' that you don't have a clue who your addressing with this post. It's kinda like the people poop'ing all over AndyZax's thread on woodstock.

I don't have cute pictures that show a facepalm and stuff like that, but if you re-read who your telling they don't listen very well, you might have that face slap moment yourself.

6. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Well, since they are going to start streaming their albums, I’m hoping for a 24 bit download. I really don’t want to order anything else and the CD stores in my town are severely lacking.

joshm2286 and Billy_Sunday like this.
  7. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

you're...

i don't know who you are, but man...way to blow this out of proportion...good god....i wasn't even talking to you before, someone else, but you had to butt in...

this thread is for Tool, so let's talk about the new Tool album, shall we? Cool? cool

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  8. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

If it's a total loudness wars victim like the new A Perfect Circle record, my first listen will be either in the car on my entry-level factory Hyundai system or via mp3s on my iPhone with generic in ear buds. If it's at least as dynamically mastered as 10,000 Days then I'll listen on the main hifi with CD quality files or 24-bit if they offer it.

I can't see this getting a vinyl-specific mastering or being anything but a digital recording given they went full digital for 10,000 Days and Lateralus while multitracked to tape was mixed digitally, so I don't expect the vinyl will be in the cards for me. YMMV.

9. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

Not sure about a full-analog path (unlikely), but they did record this new one to tape.

I had the 10,000 Days CD on last week, first time in ages, I don't think it has a whole lot in the way of dynamics--maybe in the last couple songs more so toward the end.

10. Have yet to talk to friends about a listening party, regardless it'll be check for official hi-res downloads as first port of call, otherwise I've had my eye on Tidal.
    I'll be listening as a soon as possible and as loud as possible.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  11. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Most chatter I've read and or heard is it is at least a 3 X LP set, with limited editions also going to be available. With one song over 18 minutes, that seems most likely.

12. Chrome_Head

Probably--it'll be one to maybe two very long songs per side plus the little interludes, hence 6 sides.

JNTEX likes this.
  13. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

Yes, lets, cool. And your statements are correct, you were not addressing me, and I did butt in...

I just want to let you know that your telling someone who has experience mastering, that they don't listen well, in regards to something you have not heard, in a very teenage manner.

But, good god and jesus and all we're cool. And I apologize for butting in.

MechanicalAnimal6 likes this.
  14. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Is this a religious post?

Finch Platte likes this.
  15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Sweet! It’s too bad there’s no record stores with midnight release events.

Papi Hipbone323 likes this.
  16. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

It's been mastered by Bob Ludwig, so I expect it to be around a DR of 6 or 7. Unless the band prefers a more dynamic mastering. Doubtful since all recent releases with Maynard (Puscifer/Perfect Circle) are pretty slammed. Hopeful to be wrong though.

Riccardo2, joshm2286, JNTEX and 3 others like this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

I am trying to be hopeeful as well. Ludwig mastered the last Tool album for CD. It's is an 8. Tons of clipping.

10,000 Days - 8
    Lateralus - 10
    AEnima - 10
    Undertow - 12
    Opiate - 10

JNTEX and Chrome_Head like this.
  18. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Tool? Cool!

Drool.

--Geoff

19. Papi Hipbone323

Papi Hipbone323 The Stouffer's Lasagna of Audiophiles

If there is anything that I have learned from following bands that have had long time "lapses" between releases, it's this: be patient and accept the album for it is, on its' own merits rather than hoping that the new release will meet prior expectations and then trying to force my thoughts/wishes on what the new album should be. Doing so has only led to disappointment and missing out on great new music. A band really shouldn't, with a few exceptions, sound like it did in 2001 when it's 2019. People change and hopefully progress, just as bands and musicians hopefully do.
    Whatever Fear Inoculum is, I think it is safe to say: it won't be Opiate, Undertow, Aenima, Lateralus or 10,000 Days. It will be reflective of where the band is now rather than where they were. That, to me, is more exciting to wait for than Lateralus 2.0.

20. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

It's all speculation and hope but there is no mention at all how many albums (vinyl) this would be. It even can be a 12" with only two songs. Don't be surprised with a band like TOOL.

21. wickedwatson

wickedwatson Forum Resident

I hope this is true. They missed the mark with the vinyl edition of Lateralus by squeezing it onto two discs (not to mention picture-disking it!). They had no choice but to rearrange the track order, and this bothers me to this day. Spread the damn thing over three discs and I will pay the extra 10 bucks!

joshm2286 and Chrome_Head like this.
  22. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Please, for the love of God, no picture disk as the sole vinyl option!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  23. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

The Lateralus vinyl was a pretty bad decision. The absence of 10,000 days vinyl was even worse.

Hopefully Adam’s presence here a few years back will pay off for the chance of a quality pressed vinyl release.

24. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I love how great that original Undertow CD sounds, as long as its within the limits of my stereo I just want to turn it up and turn it up and turn it up some more...when Flood finally kicks in and I'm trying so hard to listen critically but can't help myself from jumping up and down a few times in my HT room...

This ground is not the rock I....thought it to beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.............

I would be happy if that had been the blueprint (production/EQ/mastering/etc) for all future Tool/APC/Puscifer/etc releases.

25. Chrome_Head

Undertow seems to get a lot of flack, to where it's now possibly the most overlooked album of theirs somehow. I love how raw and powerful it sounds. Still my favorite Tool album, always will be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.