Tool's NEW ALBUM Fear Inoculum - August 30th, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wickedwatson

wickedwatson Forum Resident

Agreed. Clean and great space. They did this one at Sound City, famous for the acoustics (especially for drum tracking). Dave Grohl did a really cool documentary about it.
    Anyway, my original '96 vinyl is one of the best sounding records I own. Killer!

Finch Platte and Chrome_Head like this.
  2. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

The frustrating thing about the Lateralus vinyl is that there is a good record in there wanting to get out. It is Chris Bellman cut and sounds great in parts. Sadly, the picture disk makes it noisy as hell and completely ruins Bellman’s fine effort. Oh for a copy of that same record on Pallas pressed plain black vinyl!

3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

Awesome. I have a 2006 (?) Undertow 2xLP reissue on Tool's Dissectional label. It's not bad, and it's the complete album at least. But it could be better, and the artwork is very bare bones (i.e. no gatefold). Would love to hear a AAA reissue of that one.

4. wickedwatson

Yes, the '96 is 2LP. Never heard the gray/clear single LP promo from '92.

5. Chrome_Head

My friend has it, but it doesn't have "Disgustipated" on it, obviously for format reasons. There is a green version of the promo as well, apparently.

6. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I am happy i skipped this vinyl.

Likewise, if this is a picture disk release I will sadly pass for CD.

7. Mr. Pleasant

Mr. Pleasant Forum Resident

No thanks. Nothing will ruin their mystery and magic faster than having them go political.

Politics is poison and too much of our lives are already infected by it. It's nice to have a break from it.

Guss2, SirMarc, Amsagan and 10 others like this.
  8. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

It is really sad to say as someone who considers Tool a fundamental part of my life, but I'm finding I'm just not as pumped as I feel I should be.

This might be a good thing. Having low expectations is often the key to happiness.

Billy_Sunday and mahanusafa02 like this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

Do you have this one: Tool (2) - Undertow
    It does not have the compression found on the other pressings. :cheers:

10. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

I felt the same way, but I've felt like I've rediscovered them now as a result of this new announcement. So it's a bit of a slow burn, but it has its advantages. I feel myself getting more and more excited for it as we get closer.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  11. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Besides the track Sober which is a little more dynamic, it seems that all CD pressings have the same dynamic range. Some are just normalized to peak at digital zero.

hvbias, seasonsinthesky and dobyblue like this.
  12. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I was going to say, that's funny...that IS the one I have. I was visiting Canada from Cayman when I bought Undertow but I realize now that we went shopping in Buffalo at Galleria Mall and that's where I picked it up, haha.

But according to DR Database, they're all DR12 so presumably the differences are negligible? I'll keep my eye out for the Canadian '93 one as I do live in Canada now - Album list - Dynamic Range Database

13. George P

George P Notable Member

Then you got the best one! :cheers:

14. Jumpin & Changin

Jumpin & Changin Forum Resident

Re: Undertow: Sound City + Danny Carey = should be great, but I always had a problem with the drum sound on the album. It just sounds like someone cranked the treble knob on the drum track. Opiate has a similar drum sound, but all the subsequent albums get the drums right (except the few sections of clipping on 10,000 days - the barrage in 'Wings For Marie' should not have made it past quality control).

Can't wait to hear the new album and hope they release it in dynamic 24-bit.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  15. wickedwatson

Agreed!
    Even Right in Two sours me despite the fact that it isn't even all that political, and I agree with the overall message.
    A little too on the nose, I guess.

16. Chrome_Head

Tool's always been more generally universal in most of their lyrics. Even watching Maynard on Rogan, he obviously has opinions on what's going on politically at the moment, but seems to keep it mostly to himself.

17. Chrome_Head

K, unconfirmed rumor time. Take all this with several grains of salt:

Someone on Reddit posted:
    "7 is the theme for Fear Inoculum. Alex Grey posting this this morning. After reading the Guitar world issue Adam just shared he reveals 7 is a theme through the album. It also states there is 7 songs totaling 80 minutes."

Billy_Sunday, Admerr and stonesfcr like this.
  18. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Interview with Adam in the current issue of Guitar World confirms the album has 7 tracks and runs for 80mins.

Apparently, the number 7 is a theme in the music and artwork.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  19. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

already disappointed in it then....but that's just me. Anything less than a double cd was already going to be a bummer to me.
    This long of a wait and only 7 songs? Sure it's a full 80 minutes, but still.....that's it? Heck imo, it should be like a 4 or 5 disc
    box set by now, haha.

Either way, i still can't wait to get it and hear the dang thing finally, but yeah....one 7 song album is already a letdown for me.
    Guess i'm too demanding, :D

20. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

So Descending and Invincible run for about 27 mins total and there is apparently an 18 min closing track, so that would leave 35 mins for 4 tracks .

Not a double, but still a lot of new music.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  21. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

At 80 minutes, it would be better if they did make it a double album. In my experience, CDs that are filled to max capacity sometimes have issues.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  22. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

...their new album called Fear Inoculum. And I thought Rainier Fog was a lame title!

eric777 likes this.
  23. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I still think “Rainier Fog” is worse.

mahanusafa02 likes this.
  24. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

If the songs are all long please actually have something interesting happen during all of the song. Please nothing like Pink Floyd's Echoes where if you cut all of the BS out of it you would have a 9 minute song.

Gila likes this.
  25. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

That album art is... meh.

hvbias and mahanusafa02 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.