Tool's NEW ALBUM Fear Inoculum - August 30th, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

Sorry, but I gotta disagree on that last point. It's loud enough and clipped enough to make it painful to listen to this album, whether on my stereo or on my Android via earbuds.

TongueDruid likes this.
  2. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I do hear some clipping in certain loud parts, am I alone in that?

3. George P

George P Notable Member

You are not alone. There is tons of clipping on this CD. I heard it today.

4. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Disappointing to hear the album is too hot and clips. Doesn't surprise me as the DR log posted has 'over' on each track so the peaks are above 100% (-0.00db).

5. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

On my first listen on headphones yesterday I did hear some clipping that I missed on my first initial listen - very similar to 10k Days based on my listen through on cans

6. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Invincible & Descending is an amazing 25 minutes of music.

Chrome_Head and craigobau like this.
  7. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

It's probably a case of "he said, she said" and the pointing of fingers. But at least it's done!
    Here's Maynard's explanation of the long wait:
    Maynard Says Driving Factor Behind New Album Delay Was Lack Of Compromise

And in January, Maynard tweeted that he had tracked all his vocals and it was up to the band to finish their parts before a long mixing process could begin.
    You are being redirected...

8. peskypesky

What's cool is is that it seems everyone has different favorites. mine remains "Pneuma". And unlike some, I think the title track is freaking brilliant.

You know it's a strong release when no one can agree on the best or worst tracks.

9. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Tool - Fear Inoculum
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR9 over -11.59 dB 01 - Fear Inoculum.mp3
    DR8 over -11.61 dB 02 - Pneuma.mp3
    DR7 over -10.29 dB 03 - Invincible.mp3

DR9 over -11.85 dB 04 - Descending.mp3
    DR8 over -13.29 dB 05 - Culling Voices.mp3
    DR8 over -12.51 dB 06 - Chocolate Chip Trip.mp3

DR9 over -10.80 dB 07 - 7empest.mp3

Number of files: 7
    Official DR value: DR8

dobyblue likes this.
  10. peskypesky

11. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I typically consider myself a pretty discerning listener, but when others consider tracks like Pneuma too loud (it averages around 13dB of dynamic range) and so clipped that it's "painful" to listen to (Pneuma has possibly 17 or 18 clipped samples) I realize that I may not be listening carefully at all!

Pneuma:

[​IMG]

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  12. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I thank God for not having that sensible ears. I'm listening to Pneuma now full blast and it's everything but painful.

13. Poolshark

Poolshark Forum Resident

Hi or low DR makes no difference to me this album keeps getting better and better. DC runs the show on this one.

peskypesky and Chrome_Head like this.
  14. shelflife

shelflife Forum Resident

Wow. Been avoiding this thread like a plague but am amazed it's now nearly 60 pages. Kudos to all - keep up the good work!

Looks like it leaked? I'm going back into hiding. I don't wanna know anything about it.

15. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Pretty much universal praise for the new album on the band's Reddit page, with the only consistent "complaint" being how little MJK appears on the album vocally/lyrically (although the inverse is that we get an extended amount of listening time with just those three outstanding muscians).

peskypesky and Chrome_Head like this.
  16. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Well, Tool's Reddit group is like this site for The Beatles. But anyway Fear Inoculum it's a great album IMHO. I'm enjoying it more than 10,000 Days and even Lateralus. It's like the guys are enjoying what they're doing, no pressure at all. Like Metallica with Hardwired.

craigobau, peskypesky and Dorian75 like this.
  17. toddrhodes

Funny you mention that - I consider the Lateralus original CD to be "painful." At high volume, the lead guitar can just dominate a room (and I LOVE electric guitar on recordings). I find the new 24/96 to solve that issue just enough that the album is infinitely more enjoyable for me at "are you sure?" volume levels.

I don't find that to be the case with any track or any section of FI at all. It cranks, and it sounds so damn good. The "clipped sections" aren't even that loud really, so I'm not sure why they ever occurred but they don't make the album less enjoyable in the sense that they're painful, or blatantly obvious. They're there, but they aren't that intrusive. Which is why I don't understand how they even happened, they occur in moderate to even sort of quiet parts.

Strange, but whatever, FI is a triumph for the band and for music in 2019, IMO.

18. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

So long as the harsh buzzing routinely caused by clipped samples is not spread across an entire track, we're good, and, there doesn't seem to be enough clipped samples here, based on the example provided, to make that the case. Hell, this album has the DR equivalent of a classical album compared to some of the DR 5's we've been getting in the rock work over the past few years!

I also concur about the 24/96 for Lateralus...Just enough of an improvement.

shaboo, peskypesky and toddrhodes like this.
  19. toddrhodes

Agreed.

I use Roon and it uses a very different method for calculating DR. But as long as you stay within the albums listed in Roon, the DR numbers pan out as expected - I have metal albums with DR of 2 that still sound fine, they're just loud (but not clipped). DR 7 and above (according to Roon) is typically going to be a good experience (Opeth, Porcupine Tree are typically at least a 7 in Roon for most releases). Of course there are DR1 - DR3 albums that are brickwalled to hell.

Roon calculated FI as a DR 13. Some of my most favorite, most dynamic recordings (Hans Zimmer in Prague, King Crimson in Toronto, Crime of the Century, Love Over Gold) are up in that area at DR 17, DR 15's. And it fits in really well with those albums, despite a few little speed bumps.

But again, it's not worth comparing Roon numbers to anything else, only to those within Roon.

20. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

album gets more beast-y with each listen

tool, you beautiful mother****ers

21. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Roon is the best investment I've made in years...love it! Did not know you could do this in there.

toddrhodes likes this.
  22. Bfunkthe1

Bfunkthe1 Forum Resident

I see. That's cool for those who are enjoying the leak. I'm in the camp that will wait until Friday. Plus, I want to hear the interludes within the context of the album. As intended. I want the full experience. Product, package, lyrics, liner notes, etc. etc. I'm ol' skool like that. Lol. :cool:

23. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Killing me. Three more days!

24. George P

George P Notable Member

The issue for me isn't just the clipping, its that a song will pretty much have full dynamics, until certain sections that get so loud that everything gets muddied.

As an experiment, I ran each track through Audacity's declip, using the default setting. I've been listening to the declipped files this morning and it sounds a lot better. Drums have so much more clarity, as does the mix during louder passages.

I know that the above process has its skeptics, but I would invite anyone to try it with this album and listen to the results.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  25. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I enjoy clarity & dynamics, I'm with you there, but, I couldn't feel great about artificially manipulating the audio to suit my tastes.
    I may not agree with how an artist presents their art, but, I'm not going to alter it. Just my personal preference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.