Toots & the Maytals on SNL this week?!?!?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by hamburgerpimp, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hamburgerpimp

hamburgerpimp New Member Thread Starter

Just caught a promo for the upcoming SNL. This is so cool! Seems very unlike SNL to book an act like this nowadays. Anyone know if this is perhaps due to a last-minute cancellation?

2. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Note that in order to get The Maytalls on SNL, they had to add Bootsy Collins, The Roots, Ben Harper and Jack Johnson to their performance to keep the interest of the younger crowd.

I don't think anybody cancelled out, looks like this was the plan all along. They do have a new album, and maybe Trump likes Toots?

3. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

I knew there was a catch.

4. hamburgerpimp

Daag! :shake: Well, hopefully they'll let Toots do his thing and merely function as a backup band (no rapping please!)

5. hamburgerpimp

Make that PLEASE!!!

6. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

That's funny. I thought Toots was touring Australia at the moment!

Yes, he does have one of those dreaded "guest star" albums just out (too much guest, not enough Toots is my fear). Mostly new versions of the hits I believe. Maybe the creative juices are running a little dry.

Long live Toots!

7. Brian Cruz

"Pressure Drop" was pretty smokin'. "Funky Kingston" was a mess. Either Toots was mumbling at the beginning of the song ,or they had his mic turned down.

8. dcooper

dcooper New Member

Nope, I just saw them Tuesday night opening for Ratdog at the 9:30 Club. They were as great as always.

I totally agree with that review. I think the difference was that Ben Harper let Toots be front and center, and the Roots & Bootsy Collins tried to steal the spotlight. And, why was Jack Johnson there? I didn't feel like he contributed anything at all! Either way, it was great to see that great band get some national exposure.

9. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I've seen Toots several times in concert and I've noticed that he often forgets (?) to hold the microphone up to his mouth.

It's as if he gets so carried away with the performance that he overlooks the technical issues.

10. Brian Cruz

How long has he been singing? :laugh:

He still has the chops though, I tell ya, Boi!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.