Top 10 US Films of All-Time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JohnG, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS! Thread Starter

Well the famous list of Top 10 US Movies of All-Time in regards to Box Office numbers changed forever this week.

Forrest Gump finally got bumped out of the Top 10 forever with the ascention of The Passion Of The Christ which has now made over $330M dollars.

LOTR's make up 2 of the Top 10 as does Star Wars.

I'm amazed that Spiderman made it in all the way to #5 with $403.7M. I can't imagine Spiderman 2 doing that well this year.

Still this is an amazing turn of events in movie history as all Top 10 movies are complete Hollywood-style fantasies with the exception now of the New Testament story.

Here's the latest updated list:

1. Titanic ................($600.8M)
    2. Star Wars.............($461M)
    3. ET.......................($435M)
    4. Star Wars: EP1......($431.1M)
    5. Spiderman............($403.7M)
    6. LOTR: ROFTK........($374.6M)
    7. Jurassic Park.........($357.1M)
    8. LOTR: Two Towers.($340.7M)
    9. Finding Nemo........($339.7M)
    10. TPOTC................($330.1M)

2. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I'm surprised that Finding Nemo made the top ten. I never would have guessed it.

3. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

The Top Ten list adjusted for inflation.

1 Gone With the Wind 1939
    2 Star Wars 1977
    3 The Sound of Music 1965
    4 E.T. 1982
    5 The Ten Commandments 1956
    6 Titanic 1997
    7 Jaws 1975
    8 Doctor Zhivago 1965
    9 The Jungle Book 1967
    10 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs 1937

I remember seeing a list a couple years ago of the Top Ten list based on actual payed admissions and the number one was either 'Gone With the Wind' or "A Birth of A Nation'.

4. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Interesting! Where did you get this information?

5. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Can someone also adjust the list for quality.

(that's a joke by the way!)

6. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I can't imagine why on earth Titanic is on the first spot. I mean... I won't go into details of why I like it or not, but I feel there have been lots of better movies than Titanic...

7. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Comparing BO from different eras is misleading. Prices have gone up but so have the number of alternative forms of entertainment. Gone with the Wind wasn't competing with television, cable, video rentals, video games or the internet.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Sales...Box Office Dollars have nothing to do with quality, especially in todays times.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Lots and Lots and Lots of Kiddies and Mommies & Daddies that go to Matinee's:)

10. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

What!!

So, in musical terms, does that mean Michael Bolton isn't the greatest white soul singer of the 20th century? :confused: ;)

11. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Now I like this list better- it seems to put these classics in a greater limelight. After all-
    as movie prices go up- so don't their grosses. Adjusting these for their "time" shows where they really stand.

Chris

12. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

The FInding Nemo figures explains why Pixar felt they could drive a harder bargain with Disney. Does anyone know the latest on the Pixar/Disney alliance? - I haven't heard anything lately, but I read that Steve jobs and the Disney folks didn't really have much time for each other.

13. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

The truly remarkable fact from the above lists is that "The Passion of the Christ" is the only R rated movie in the top ten domain. Restricting an audience has a great effect on box office sales. Many film makers fight hard to obtain a PG-13 instead of the restricted audience R rating ("Jaws" for example).

14. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

15. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I must be the only one in America who hasn't seen Titanic.

Now are these numbers box office only. Isn't Nemo the biggest selling video, I know it was the fastes selling video. I can understand the video numbers being high for cartoon movies since it makes since to buy them if you have kids, they will watch them over and over. As for movies I will buy some ocasionally but to be honest even a movie I absolutely love for as often as I will actually watch it, it is not worth buying. I tend to have more concert videos than movies.

sorry for the drift off subject... now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

16. reechie

reechie Senior Member

17. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I never saw it either...I already knew the ending. :D

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Why does a) it amaze you the "Spidey" did that well, and b) seem unimaginable that the sequel will do as well? I thought the first one was great, and unlike a lot of blockbusters, it seems to enjoy a high level of affection from fans - there appears to be a large audience of those who saw the first who also want to see the second, unlike, say, the first Harry Potter movie. It got those curious about the hype who didn't like it and had no interest in later flicks. "Spidey" seems to inspire a lot of continued good will. Not saying the sequel will match those numbers - I doubt it will - but I'd be surprised if it didn't do VERY well...

19. Oatsdad

This statement veers dangerously close to thread crap territory IMO, but I don't really understand your point. "Titanic" sold lots of tickets - that's why it's at the top of the list. A lot of people really liked it - that's it.

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No, if this thread were entitled: My favorite 10 films" or something like that, it would be a thread crap. Since it's neutral, anything goes..

21. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Except, of course, for those of you waiting in the wings with your "all top ten lists suck and are a waste of time" or "box office figures suck and are a waste of time" posts. :)

Regards,

22. RDK

RDK Active Member

These numbers should be domestic box office only. If you factor in foreign (b.o.), I believe Titanic made over $2 billion.

Video is another (increasingly) huge factor as well. I believe that Spider-Man did around $100 in video sales its first week on DVD/VHS.

As equally as impressive as Passion's number are for being an R-rated film, remember that a lot of the audience for Finding Nemo were kids paying reduced admission price.

23. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

Loved Spiderman and Finding Nemo. Hated the others, though.

It's really tough analyzing BO receipts throughout the history of film. You have to factor in the price of admission vs. the average take-home pay of the theatergoer, the tendency for some of us (me, for instance) to wait and buy the DVD since my system at home is preferable to most theaters, number of admissions vs. the population of the US at the time, etc. etc. - using different sampling criteria would result in a completely different top ten list.

One thing about the list, though - it proves that no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of consumers.

24. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS! Thread Starter

I guess I shouldn't be amazed about any of these movies since these days films play on so many screens. That does boost the numbers on these blockbuster-type films.

I'm sure Spidey 2 will do great business especially opening weekend but I still think over $400M is quite a tally. Hope it does that well. :agree:

I also think all the films in this Top 10 are fine films and I own them all.
    Good escapist fun except of course for #10 that is ;) .

25. Oatsdad

That's why I said "dangerously close". It does feel like "Titanic" haters wait in the wings to attack the flick any chance they get...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.