"Top Gun: Maverick" *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Oct 14, 2010.

1. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I remember Tom saying that he would only do it if there would be no CGI.

2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Is Goose coming back?

BGLeduc likes this.
  3. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I can't see that being possible: It seems that *all* films nowadays have a bit of CGI.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

I will be auditing this movie, and staying clear of its release.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. neo123

neo123 Senior Member Thread Starter

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Didn't like the first one, chick flick.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Maverick's psychological journey and character development was the strongest element of the original, even though the flight scenes were pretty boss in their own right.

8. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I hope this turns out ok. I love the original movie and rewatch it about once a year.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Well, according to that OP article

When asked about the Goose character made famous by Anthony Edwards, he remarks "well, I know most people accept that Goose was killed in the original movie. But the truth is that you never actually saw him die and we feel it wouldn't be a huge stretch to imagine that Goose saw his chance to fake his death in order to get out from under the unbearable pressure of competing with the others. One 'what if?' we're playing with is: What if Goose actually made it out alive and eventually signed up with the CIA, where he has quietly moved up the ranks?"
    So I guess maybe we'll get Goose as well.

S. P. Honeybunch and Duke Fame like this.
  10. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

That would be awful.

His body was limp on the descent after they were ejected and then he was dead and blood everywhere while Maverick held his body in the water...but maybe he didn't die? Okay. Sounds like Edwards is trying to find a loophole to get himself in the sequel.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  11. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Goose the Ghost can appear and advise Maverick.

Meanwhile Iceman is now National Security Advisor.

12. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Negative Ghostrider....

13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'm 41 years old and never seen "Top Gun".

I'm not sure why. I grew up in the 80s. I haven't gone out of my way to avoid it. I can't explain this phenomenon, although I'm certainly not much of a Tom Cruise fan. But I've seen The Outsiders and Risky Business and Rain Man.

Maybe its the military aspect. Or the fact that I've never been on a plane.

Anyway, it's my cross to bear. I'm sorry.

Karnak likes this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Ehh, you're not missing much. I was 19 in 1986 and never thought it was better than "okay":

Top Gun [Blu-Ray] (1986)

15. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Top Gun was released the summer I graduated from high school but I didn't see it until a year or two later on Home Video. Didn't Tom Cruise's character ride around on a Kawasaki Ninja? It seemed like everyone wanted one around that time. Talk about product placement.

chilinvilin likes this.
  16. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident

The only good thing that ever came from Top Gun was Kenny Loggins's Danger Zone. There I said it. :hide:

soundboy and Kiko1974 like this.
  17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

And it helped Kelly afford to get her restaurant. We were there many years ago, good food

18. I Like Danger Zone and I see no shame on admiting it. I was 12 when it came out and I played the Top Gun soundtrack along Van Halen's 5150 and some others. I was an 80's teen,behaved like an 80's teen and listened to 80's teen music, I even listened to Madonna's True Blue album that year!

Karnak likes this.
  19. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Pretty much. I remember a couple of friends loving it when it came out, much to my confusion. I guess if you responded to the flashiness and to Cruise's star power at the time, it must have been cool. Empty 80s filmmaking, all (cheesy) style, no substance.

Hollywood sure is riding the nostalgia train hard these days innit?

smilin ed likes this.
  20. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

The trailer doesn't look half-bad. Cruise is a much better actor now than he was in 1986. And now Val Kimer will return as Iceman. I think the Top Gun sequel has the potential to be an improvement. Cruise has a good track record.

Kiko1974 and Karnak like this.
  21. Tom Cruise has never been a great actor to beging with,Tom Cruise register is, well, Tom Cruise performing Tom Cruise. I remember back in early 1999 when Eyes Wide Shut was announced and that the stars were the then married Cruise and Kidman,the first thought that popped my mind was "if Kubrick can't pull out something different out of Cruise then nobody can". His ex-wife ate him alive on that movie, Kidman was a real pro and made an outstanding performance,while Cruise was still Cruise. I think he's an overrated actor with an extremely good agent and limited acting skills.
    Top Gun either 1986 or 2019 needs anything else, I think Cruise was and is perfect for the role.

Chris DeVoe, Borgia and snowman872 like this.
  22. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

The Top Gun Anthem by Steve Stevens is a nice bit of guitar work. I can play the main theme relatively well. It's fun to turn up the Marshall and see if I can get the sound Steve Stevens did. Usually no, but it's still fun.

The original was pretty cheesy but it had some great shots of the Tomcat. I have flown (in my airline job)with two of the guys who flew some of the Tomcat scenes in the movie. Great stories to hear as we were crossing the pond.

Rasputin likes this.
  23. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Highway to the Nursing Home.

soundboy, Jack Lord and Solaris like this.
  24. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

that volleyball scene begs to differ heh heh

cruise was really good in Magnolia....but he quickly returned to Tom Cruise roles....

Kiko1974 likes this.
  25. You're right, I forgot about Magnolia. He played really well on that movie, a film that I like very much.

Chris DeVoe likes this.