"Top Gun: Maverick" *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Nice.

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I went to see “Doctor Strange“ yesterday in Bangkok and they had an exclusive preview of “top gun maverick.“ It was about a seven minute clip of Tom cruises first day at a new flight school teaching spunky recruits (I wonder who will be the new bill Paxton“ and “waxing their tail“ - to quote “the right stuff” - One after another like Domino’s. Seven minutes too long. Obviously just a section of the film. I guess it was supposed to ramp you up but it’s so clichéd and retro feeling that I sat there stonefaced in disbelief

If you want nostalgia this is it. They completely and perfectly reproduced the cheesy 80s action, dialogue, acting, editing style, and aura of “Let’s do some Coke and cut this film.” It was beyond awful. This is definitely going to be an owed to “oh those spunky young recruits in their fantastic flying machines” flag wavers.

I will say this is the perfect Tom Cruise movie because he gets to wear Ray-Ban’s all the way throughout it to look young Except at one point a pair of mirrored aviators fell off and shattered and he turned into Dorian gray.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  3. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

if i/we want to see something with substance - there are so many TV shows atm, with great screenplays/acting

today's cinema ? only for mindless 'eat all the popcorn you can' fun

it's cool.

4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

5. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

‘Last Hollywood star of his kind’: Tom Cruise jets into Cannes for ‘Top Gun’ sequel

Tom Cruise touched down in Cannes on Wednesday to launch "Top Gun: Maverick", making his first appearance in three decades at the world's premier film festival and cementing his status as a champion of the big screen.

Cannes waited 30 years for Tom Cruise to return – so a 12-hour wait in the Riviera’s scorching sun was no hassle for Tania Lopez-Palayo, first in line to catch a glimpse of Hollywood’s last great superstar as he hit the red carpet.

When Cruise was last in Cannes for the premiere of the ill-fated "Far and Away" with his then-wife Nicole Kidman, he was just one among many in the Hollywood star system. Thirty years on, he is the only one who can compete with the superhero franchises that now dominate the studios.

In the words of IndieWire, he is “the last Hollywood movie star of his kind – short as ever but still larger-than-life in an age where most famous actors are only as big as their action figures.”

“Tom Cruise has one of the highest success rates in the history of cinema,” Cannes director Thierry Fremaux told reporters. “This is someone that we haven't seen on streaming platforms, TV series, or doing adverts (…). He is someone who is devoted to cinema. To see Tom Cruise, you have to see a feature film in a cinema theatre.”

6. MikaelaArsenault

7. MikaelaArsenault

8. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

9. MikaelaArsenault

10. MikaelaArsenault

11. MikaelaArsenault

12. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

13. MikaelaArsenault

14. MikaelaArsenault

15. MikaelaArsenault

16. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

I see the marketing team for this movie has landed in this thread ;)

17. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Early reviews suggest this one's a winner.

I thought "Oblivion" was underrated ( and one of the best Tom Cruise movies ), and "Only the brave" was magnificent. So, not surprised that TC hired Kosinski to direct Top Gun 2.

Might go to see it on the big screen next week.

Bhob, longdist01 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  18. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

From the closed thread...

I am sitting on the fence over this one.

On the plus side, the early reviews are extremely positive.

On the other side, I'm with @Jack_Straw on the original. It is bad. I was a thirteen year old boy watching it in the theater, and if it bored me to tears then, it will never work for me. A more recent partial rewatch annoyed me even more.

Should I stay or should I go?

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

19. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I saw the original for the first time just this past week when it aired on broadcast TV (CBS). I had avoided it forever because I thought I would hate it, but the new one has been getting good reviews. Surprise! I thought the original was entertaining and I enjoyed it.

I’ll probably see the new one because there has been nothing playing in the theater that I have wanted to see for a month. I’ll probably see it Tuesday. Looking forward to going to the theater!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'll wait till Top Gun: Maverick comes out on Blu-ray. These days the wait for the release of Blu-rays seems less than a few years back.

21. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

Fabrice Outside and Chris DeVoe like this.
  22. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

That my friend, is why this movie is a masterpiece!

SamS, MikaelaArsenault and Ghostworld like this.
  23. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Rewatched the original this week and think it's actually undervalued. It's got it all and works great for men and women. (Remember when action movies had proper romances?) Plus the music choices are so dead-on it sells it all like crazy.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    longdist01, Karnak and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Boom Operator

Boom Operator Shake hands with yesterday's tomorrow

The crew screening was last night and, biased as I might be, the picture is pretty terrific.

I get that it’s a thing with some people to knock pretty much everything but I strongly suspect the vast majority of folks who go to see Top Gun: Maverick in a theater are going to be very pleased by the experience.

~Huck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Off to a solid start at the box office setting a Memorial Day & Paramount Pictures preview record of $19.26 million (Tues-Thurs).

Rotten Tomatoes: 97% critics (282 reviews) - 99% fans